Volunteers needed 1/12/13

• Thread starter Heritage-Angler
  • Start date
Heritage-Angler

Heritage-Angler

Volunteers are needed on Saturday 1/12/13 from 9:30 AM to 2 PM to meet up with the Delaware Valley High School Fly Fishing Club (gaeronf's club). The meeting place is at the fly shop on the Little Lehigh in the Allentown Parkway. We'll help the kids rig up, and start fishing at 10 AM.

We'll need 8 to 10 people to work individually with each member of the club. These kids are complete beginners, so they'll need a lot of instruction on what to do to fish.

This isn't intended as a comprehensive flyfishing course, but just to give the kids a brief introduction to fly fishing on-stream. The volunteers will act as "guides" to help the kids out. Most members of PAFF have more than enough skills to do this, so don't hesitate to volunteer if you have the time.

Volunteers are requested to bring your own gear (don't forget your 2013 license!) - the kids should have pretty much everything they need, but you never know. I envision the volunteers having to help set up rigs, do some casting/fishing instruction, etc. There will be adult supervision provided by the school, so liability concerns are covered.

Wasn't sure this was the correct place to post this, but it'll likely be more visible than posting in the events/meetup forum.

H.A.

I have already told Gaeron I would lend a hand, so put me down as a volunteer! Look forward to it.

I believe this is my wifes weekend to work. If so, I could help if you think I can add some value

So put outsider down as 4 volunteers!

Good luck with the outing! I wish my HS had a FF club!

Ed it really bothers me that I can't attend this. But you know what I have on my plate right now and it's just not possible. Sorry Gaeronf

I think I'm good to help, I'll try to be the Foxdog so they get the best parts of both...............minus the chew, of course. :p

David wrote:

Despite outsider's accidental multiple posts (that got removed), this still isn't far from the truth. That guy really knows his stuff!

Shane - might be a good thing to do a brief casting session before we hit the water. We'll split the group in two, you take one group, I'll take the other. If you can, bring your 6wt - I'll have a leader for you so you don't booger up a good one. Might as well start the kids out with some good casting fundamentals.

DD - This came up last minute, or I would have planned it around your ability to attend. Soon....

Fox - This is a walk in the park for you. I promise not to put any downed branches in your way. :lol:
Some lucky kid is gonna get some great instruction - you might get assigned more than one...

ill help out if you guys still need a hand. I have a few questions on what we should bring with us? should we bring extra rods for the kids? are we providing the flies? if I think of any others ill ask.

marc

You're in, Marc.

From what Gaeron told me, the kids all have their own gear. They may not have everything needed to set up a rig that you prefer, but it likely won't take much of a contribution from the instructors to get them going. They might not have the flies you'd like to teach them to fish though. I'm guessing maybe a couple flies, split shot, tippet, and maybe a strike indicator would be the max. Probably not even that much.

Treat this as you would if you were taking a friend out fishing for the first time - that should be pretty close to what we'll need to do. Just bring your normal gear to fish with.

Some of these kids don't have wading gear, so those that don't will be bank fishing. The Little Lehigh where we're meeting is ideal for this.

Sounds good Ed.

I think I should be able to make it to help out, should be a good time.

It's my son's birthday party so I can't make it but I would have loved to help. Can I donate a dozen flies or something?

Sounds good. I'm looking forward to helping out.

Dang this sounds SWEET!!!!!!!! I would LOVE to do something like this in the future. That weekend I am working and have a rescheduled family Christmas in the afternoon, but please let me know if something like this will pop up again.

Speaking of fishing, if any of you Lehigh area guys are up for fishing the weekend of the 22nd, let me know! I have a 5 day weekend that weekend and I'm lookin' for some fishing fun. I've been wanting to get up there and fish w/ you old timers.

I am not old

Mon. the 21 or Tues. 22nd, Becks. FB me. No streamers ;-)

I should be able to help out...let me check with the GF to see if I forgot about any "plans"

Phil, I have been meaning to ask you a question about your GF. Shoot me a text when you have a chance.

David wrote:

Good luck with the outing! I wish my HS had a FF club!

In my condition, if half an outsider shows up I'll be grateful.

Here is a list I've compiled of everybody (that could possibly make it) so far:

Heritage Angler - Mr. Schaffer
SBecker
outsider
Foxgap
marcq
martin0206
PhilC
blueheron

The club members that are most likely going to show up are:

Mr. Schaffer (our advisor, but he wants to learn more!) He has some basic stuff, but doesn't really know too too much when it comes to actual fishing. He won't be wading. I've already talked to Ed and you guys will probably fish together.

Johnny Miller (wading status unknown) He has fished before and from what I tell he is decent. He certainly knows fundemental techniques.

Tyler LaGreca (not wading, he has size 16 feet and can't find waders) He has had a little tiny bit of background on Fly Fishing but not a ton.

Chris DeVilliers (wading status unknown) It seems he kind of knows whats going on. Not sure how much on-stream time he has.

Brandon Haraldson He's a complete beginner. No previous experience.

Gaeron Friedrichs (that's me) If I don't go fishing with anybody, that's perfectly fine. I'm going to tinker around with comp/euro stuff anyway so it may be painstaking for whoever I go with. But we'll see!

Club members that are maybe's:
Kristin DeVilliers
Colin Irwin

If you guys think your personality or fishing type/instruction type matches one of these kids best put it in a comment and we'll pair you up! Also, as far as donations of anything goes, feel free to PM me and we will discuss it! Thanks everyone!

Back