Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 ... 8 »

Re: The Rumble on the River!

From Flourtown, PA
Dave--I don't like the idea of simply counting fish like that. The techniques that result in the greatest numbers of fish often are different from those that result in the largest fish. Bigger fish should be rewarded. So, maybe 1 point for every smallmouth over 10", 2 points for smallmouth between 12-14", 3 points for smallmouth between 15-17", 4 points for smallmouth between 18-19", and 5 points for smallies greater than 20". There is no reason why a 7" smallie should be awarded the same value as a 20" fish.

And I see no reason to count any other fish, I don't care how big the chubs are. I mean, catfish maybe, but the bonus about them is that they can be kept and fried.

And I see no reason why we couldn't (or shouldn't) bring along a 3rd rower or observer, if you will. I think with a third, we could put the fish on the measuring tape, take a quick photo, and have the fish back in the drink in under a minute. The Third can also manage the clip board and fish some when one of the principals is rowing (though the fish cannot count towards the total). Having a third to take photos and row some when necessary will make it run a lot smoother. Both boats are big enough for a third, and neither Tom nor Fred is experienced enough rowing a drift boat in rocky water for Andy and me to have any meaningful time up front. I'm not signing up to just row old Fred around to fish against Afish while Andy rows him around. I'm probably the most experienced smallie fisherman on my boat, as Tom probably is on his, and with me rowing and him not, that's going to give his team an advantage they shouldn't need.

So:

1) Scoring system based on length for smallies only; and
2) A third rower/observer to take the measurements and photos and to mark the clipboard.

And if Fred catches a musky, walleye, carp, bowfin, or snakehead, I am legally obliged to slap him in the grill with it, a la Jackass. You can score that however you want, but I'd recommend a 0-10 Olympic-style metric.

Posted on: 8/8 14:36

How about this twist as I think it help minimize the measuring BS. All bass count as one point, bass 18" & 19" count as 3 points and fish measuring 20" or larger count as 5 points.

As for a 3rd row observer, where are we finding that fool volunteer? My nephew would go but he'll snatch every fish he can with his spin gear and that would only hurt our teams numbers. On top of that, I'm old and lazy. Don't want to cart around an extra 200 pounds in the dingy.

If cats are extra, I'm pretty confident we can put one or more in the net. Seems I've found 2-3 honey holes for them where we've consistently caught them on crankbaits. I know they'll eat a fly. The question is how do you land a 20# flathead in fast water on fly gear.

Posted on: 8/8 15:32

From Greensburg, PA
1 point deduction every time Fred gongs one off the side of the boat and yells, "COUNTS"!

Posted on: 8/8 18:02

From Gettysburg
Quote:

SurfCowboyXX wrote:
Bigger fish should be rewarded. So, maybe 1 point for every smallmouth over 10", 2 points for smallmouth between 12-14", 3 points for smallmouth between 15-17", 4 points for smallmouth between 18-19", and 5 points for smallies greater than 20". There is no reason why a 7" smallie should be awarded the same value as a 20" fish.

Fair 'nuff - makes sense.

Posted on: 8/8 19:49

From Gettysburg
Quote:

krayfish2 wrote:
How about this twist as I think it help minimize the measuring BS. All bass count as one point, bass 18" & 19" count as 3 points and fish measuring 20" or larger count as 5 points.

I agree this would be better if we're going with a point scale for bass. Much less counting and measuring... but very big fish get more points. Should keep the scoring as simple as possible.

Measurement will be from tip of jawline to furthest tail tip.

Posted on: 8/8 19:52

From Gettysburg
I still think all other species (including largemouths) should be minimal for points.

The most likely non-SMB catches will be fallfish and channel cats. A musky would be possible, but unlikely. Let's drop fallfish completely.

Lets keep the 12 inch minumum for other species and go with this:

~ All other species 12+" will be 1 POINT
~ A muskellunge over 12" will be 5 POINTS

Posted on: 8/8 19:59

I don't think we've boated 2 chubs in the last 3 years so they aren't many in the section I suggested. Mostly bass with a 5% chance of Mr. Whiskers, 1% chance of walleye and 1% chance of musky.

I have an official measuring board from FUDR one bug. Think it goes to 24". We catch as bass bigger than that, we row out. Lol.

Posted on: 8/8 21:14

From Southeast, PA
I love this thread

Posted on: 8/8 22:42

From Other side of the tracks
Quote:

krayfish2 wrote:

As for a 3rd row observer, where are we finding that fool volunteer? My nephew would go but he'll snatch every fish he can with his spin gear and that would only hurt our teams numbers. On top of that, I'm old and lazy. Don't want to cart around an extra 200 pounds in the dingy.

I'd do it for free beer, as long as it didn't come from SurfCowboys list, and I didn't have to wear skinny jeans or sport a man bun.

Unfortunately I live a long ways away, and weigh just a tad more than 200.

Posted on: 8/9 8:07

From Delaware Co.
Lets go with the kiss system and lets just count bass over 15" if not everyone in my boat will be to busy counting my catches

Tom G do you even fish bro ?

Posted on: 8/9 9:46

Just ordered a 15'8" spey rod and 20 different scandi/Skagit/mow tips so that I'll be able to snap T my wiggle nymph over 400'. If I hook one that far away, any chance you'll net it for me? LMAO.

I'll have a crappy rod loaded with a crappy sink tip as well as a different crappy rod rigged with an even crappier floating line. All I need is a couple flies, a casting lesson and some luck. Doubt I'll boat more than 4-5 fish. I could just leave a 12 pack at the ramp for you and head home to cut the lawn.

Tom is kinda silent which would have me worried if I were you guys.

+1 on measuring only big fish. I'll vote for 17" and up for measuring.

Posted on: 8/9 10:26

From Flourtown, PA
I honestly don't see any reason to award points for catfish. The ability to take that sucker home and fry it up should be reward enough. I do like the simpler scoring idea, though. 1 point for bass under 15", 3 points for 15-17", etc... we can iron that out.

The fact that your nephew will snatch fish with spin gear really shouldn't be an issue--you'll probably be rowing, anyway, so if he's in the stern, it's not as if he's going to be costing you fish.

I think I can find at least one person who doesn't weigh too much to act as a third on our boat. Because you have Tom, you shouldn't be too worried about weight--anyone under 200 should be almost unnoticeable in your boat.

And FarmerDave-I'll drink Miller High Life too, but I'm not going to let these guys get off with buying cheap beer like that. I don't like all the IPA BS--those beers are hopped on a dare, I think, and are more for the skinny jeans and manbun crowd (I don't wear jeans ever, and my hair has been high and tight for nigh on 20 years). And I don't see any need for a heavy lager or ale for a summer day on the water. Hence the more refreshing brews.

We could just make it for a bottle of Blanton's bourbon (or Woodford, or something similarly tasty).

Posted on: 8/9 11:50

From Other side of the tracks
Quote:

And FarmerDave-I'll drink Miller High Life too, but I'm not going to let these guys get off with buying cheap beer like that. I don't like all the IPA BS--those beers are hopped on a dare, I think, and are more for the skinny jeans and manbun crowd (I don't wear jeans ever, and my hair has been high and tight for nigh on 20 years). And I don't see any need for a heavy lager or ale for a summer day on the water. Hence the more refreshing brews.

We could just make it for a bottle of Blanton's bourbon (or Woodford, or something similarly tasty).

Good save!

Can't say I am a fan of Miller High Life, but I certainly wouldn't turn down a free one.

Posted on: 8/9 12:57

From florida
Come on Dave,you know your hand is permanently frozen in a cup shape the exactly hold a FREE BEER. GG

Posted on: 8/9 14:33

From Flourtown, PA
In all honesty, sitting in a drift boat drinking a beer on a nice day is a pretty nice way to be, whether you're fishing or not.

Posted on: 8/10 11:31

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 ... 8 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Sponsors
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

USGS Water Levels
Polls
Angling Trade E-Survey: How Many Outdoor Print Magazines Do You Subscribe To?
None. Nada. Zip. 50% (46)
One or two. 32% (30)
Three or four. 13% (12)
More than four. 3% (3)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2017/10/27 11:42
Comments?

Copyright 2017 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com