The Fly Fishing Show - Lancaster, PA. 2-3 March 2013

I'll be there one of the days. I have to look at the schedule and decide.

I will be there saturday.

It's my back-up plan. I prefer to go to Somerset, and see no need to go to both. If I can't make Somerset, though, Lancaster is a nice back-up plan.

I will attend again this year but not sure which day at this point.

pcray wrote:

It's my back-up plan. I prefer to go to Somerset, and see no need to go to both. If I can't make Somerset, though, Lancaster is a nice back-up plan.

Trying to set some time for either but is there a big difference in the two or are they both the same?

I am off this weekend. I don't know if I'm going to the show or not, but if anyone would like to hit up some local brookie streams, I'd be glad to meet up and take you into the sprawling hills of Lancaster County!

Stagger_Lee wrote:
is there a big difference in the two or are they both the same?

The show in Somerset has been running for many years and is considerably larger with more booths and seminars. It is also further away (for us center state guys) and tougher traffic etc. The Lancaster Show is, I think, in it's third or fourth year and growing. I love the Somerset show but it's a tough slog for a day trip and I usually go only once every few years.

Trying to set some time for either but is there a big difference in the two or are they both the same?

It's the same travelling show. So the basic set up is the same. You've got a floor with vendors. Lodges selling trips, fly shops selling gear, all the equipment makers hyping their latest stuff, organizations like TU trying to sign you up, fly tiers ringing the place doing little demo's and selling flies. There are casting pools where you can take any rod you want and play around with it, and at certain times there are scheduled casting demo's by the pro's. In separate rooms there are presentations about techniques, places, etc. You can also take casting classes with experts on a paying basis.

Somerset is MUCH bigger. Many more vendors, much better deals and show specials, many more tiers, etc. It's one of the biggest shows in the country, been there for many years and is well established. And there is a fair bit of PA stuff there, as it's right next door in NJ and a lot of those fishermen travel to PA, NY, etc. Many PA shops will be represented, too.

Lancaster is much smaller. It's only the 3rd year of having a PA show, and 2nd year in Lancaster I think. Vendors sign up per show, so it's still gaining it's footing. But the presentations and the like will be more geared towards PA.

I went to Lancaster last year, and it was cool and all, but nowhere near the size of Somerset. But it was closer and easier to get to, and less crowded.

Yeah and you can have the opportunity to meet up and fish with The Squatch!

Spent all day Saturday at the show last year and really enjoyed it. I'm hoping to go Saturday again this year. Being only 10 minutes away it's kind if hard to ignore. My highlight last year was a chance to meet and chat with Bob Clouser and watch him tie his Deep Minnow pattern. Also, talking with Mike Heck and Ed Shenk was a great opportunity as well. If you have the time I would recommend you attend the show.

The show opens @ 0900 on Saturday - anybody up for a breakfast or coffee meetup beforehand?
Locations?

I'd be up for breakfast, have no clue what's in the area, I'm staying at the hotel, so something within walking distance would be cool. Sas, your local, where can we get some eggs? I'm sure the hotel does breakfast, but it probably costs 20 bucks!

Eggs you say? I may meet you clowns for breakfast. Maybe I should just go to this thing. Spending the money to get in to look at a bunch of stuff I can't afford is hard to justify though.

I was on the fence...but a PAFF breakfast Jam would break the tie enough for me to probably go.

Squatch - If we don't meet up in the meantime, I'll buy that Sierra from you there if you go...coincidently the entry fee to the show is $15!

Only hitch for me is that weekend is my wife's grandmother's 95th birthday. If plans surrounding that materialize I'll have to back out probably.

I already spent that $15 haha! I bought a 6'6" Featherlight last night ;-) Justified that one to my wife by, "I sold two reels on PAFF"

If she only knew that's a poor business model. We all sell stuff on PAFF, yet we buy stuff on PAFF, Ebay, or Craigslist. There is no cure for "tackleosis" and it can only be subdued by time on the water!

As far as breakfast goes, off the top of my head, I can't think of any places close to the convention center. I'll have to do some research for small restaurants in the immediate area.

And whatever you do, stay out of The Taproom just down the block. Their beer will have you tipsy in no time! :pint:

Lyndon Diner on Manheim Pike. Neptune Diner on Prince St in the city. Both have awesome diner food, both 24 hours, so you aren't limited to the breakfast menu.

Keep me in the loop for Saturday plans please. Not sure what day I'll be attending (that's too far in the future to plan) but if I do go Saturday will definitely meet up with everyone before the show for breakfast.

wgmiller wrote:
If she only knew that's a poor business model. We all sell stuff on PAFF, yet we buy stuff on PAFF, Ebay, or Craigslist. There is no cure for "tackleosis" and it can only be subdued by time on the water!

She was in a good mood 'cause her $250 camera lens was delivered last night-it goes with her new $500 digital SLR camera that she got last week. Hey, she can let me spend $26 on a rod!

Back