THE OFFICIAL 5TH ANNUAL STEELHEAD JAM - Nov 8-10, 2013

ryguyfi

ryguyfi

That time of year will be here before we know it. This year I need to pass the torch of the planning to someone else. My wife is due at the end of October with our son and the JAM has typically been in the first 2 weeks of November. So, there's a slim to none chance I'll be able to make it. So if someone wants to step forward and plan it this year, I'm sure many would appreciate it. If anyone needs my assistance just let me know. Hoping to make a few trips up there this year, but we'll see how that goes when the time comes.

Ryan

I'd be willing to help but don't think I could pull the whole thing off. Maybe if 2 or 3 of us did it as a group. Alby?
Last years was my first experience. Norm

forget it, no cinnamon rolls, no JAM!! ;-)
I may be able to handle some chores, (ordering rounds of beer at the avonia!) all depends on work load and such, but I'm game for helping out. Maybe we can get April Vokey to make it this year, I think that was 2 or 3 years ago when she was actually in Erie the weekend we were there, and dammit if we didn't see a women fishing that sorta looked like her, but it wasn't. bummer.

Biker those rolls rock, I have a local diner that makes really good ones too, just not as large. I can always try to find some as large.

PS to quote Bill Murray "I need to party with that guy" That would be you, we met at the Jam briefly. I'm up to keep this going, Ryan has helped me since my first day flyfishing and was there when I got my first fish on the fly rod

I made a couple of these in the past. It is always a great time. Especially for beginners or others with less experience, the chance of picking up some good information from more seasoned steelheaders is worth the trip.

Having helped plan Jamboree events in the past, I suggest you get 3-4 people that will absolutely commit to a particular weekend. It is extremely important if the organizers can make the commitment to attend and keep things organized somewhat.

Good luck. I hope I can make it this year.

Here's some help...

Pick a weekend. Typically we've done around the 2nd weekend in November. Friday-Sunday.

Contact Folly's and ask permission to use the pavillion again. They've been kind enough to let us use it for free every year.

Let people know ahead of time so they can book some rooms. Local places get booked up once the season rolls around.

That's about it. Not real complicated. You can do anything else from there. Places to meet up to eat, coordinating groups to fish together, especially newbies, etc.

Alright I'm gonna do it. Was thinking November 9th + 10th. The other option would be the first weekend, the 2nd + 3rd but, the second week might give Ryan a slim chance to make it for a bit.
Norm

After talking to Ryan I'm going to take this on.
Dates are going to be November 8 - 10.
Details will be coming, last years Jam was my first PAFF Jam and a great experience, so I hope to see friends I have met and also make some new ones.
Norm

sounds good Norm. now we must make offerings to the Gods of Steelhead to provide ideal conditions for that weekend!

I just know you guys will slay them this year because I'm not there...

The first one in 2009 was by far the best. We got crushed by the rain and lost half a day, but the day after was one to remember.

I'll more than likely be in for this. My fiance likes going to Erie so it will be my excuse to take her there (and leave her at the mall while I fish.... ;)

Once more details are firmed up, I can volunteer my services as needed, so I'll keep an eye on this thread...

I will throw my hat into the ring.

PM me with what is done and what needs to be done. I'll do my best.

SEPA. Boys: if you want to go hit me up at TimRobinsin on Facebook. We can get a group together to split the gas.

It's alway a good time and we should have a good year. Maybe we can get steelhead alley legend PatrickC to give a talk on rigs and tactics. Someone from the 'burgh nail down the Orams and we'll be set. Lets get this party started cuz it's right around the corner!

Nov 8-10 is best for me.

Lets get it chrome domes!

I'm in.

gonna try an bring my girl. it'll be a nice break for us.

looking forward to seeing everyone.

Made my hotel reservation today at the Econolodge on Peach St.

I will try to make it up for saturday. That is a hard time for me to get away. My son turns 3 that week and I will have a 2 month old. The leash gets shorter every year.

Just curious for anyone that has attended these in the past. Does the group try to find less pressured water (maybe less fish to target but more elbow room?).

I've seen some pictures of Erie that show people elbow to elbow and I don't think I'd enjoy that...

Just curious how the group approaches the fishing spots...

thanks!

Last years event was the first PAFF jam I attended. The group met up in the morning at the pavilion at Folly's End Campground. Last year there were about 8 to 10 guys. The group separated into smaller groups with more experienced guys taking new guys along. The waters I fished last year weren't anywhere close to really crowded. It's an informal gathering and the groups decided where they were going to fish individually.
Don't let those pics scare you away

Back