Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Re: Striper/Shad Jam, 21 April 2018, Susquehanna State Park, MD

From SE Pa
Don't forget your NOAA saltwater registration. I don't know if it's included on all those Maryland licenses.

Posted on: 2/25 11:47

From Lancaster
I will add one thing... bring a blanket to cover your vehicle if you park at the conowingo dam. My father had $1500 Worth of damage done to his truck from black headed buzzards. Those signs about park at your own risk are no joke. I was lucky and only had me wipers destroyed.

It’s also important to check dam releases. There will be no wading if releases are high. 8 wt fly rods and big top water flies are ideal for strippers. I will likely try to make it out in my kayak for one of those dates!!!

Posted on: 2/25 20:20

From lancaster county
Raft- sounds good to me. Both me and Justin are in landisville so we aren't far. Let's make a WWI convoy!

Thanks guys. I'll be calling to make sure I get everything I need. Thanks for all the advice, Im selling gear to help get more warm water equipment. I have a bunch but lack the super huge fish equipment I need.
I still want/need a 9'6-10' 9wt
And a 13'6"-15'6" 9/10wt

Posted on: 2/25 21:01

From Gettysburg
While big stripers are in that area, in all likelyhood we would ecnounter schoolies more in the size range that can be handled nicely on an 8Wt rod. Shad are also a good target for an 8WT. If you've never caught hickory shad, they're a blast - real scrappers. I doubt I'll bring a 10WT rod.

Mid to late April usually sees more stripers but fewer big ones. Fish are also more likely to be dispersed around the river and flats rather, than just in the channels as is the case earlier in the spring. Will want to keep an eye on reports come springtime.

I would point out: the Susky flats in BIG water. People fish that area with center console boats. If the Susky is pushing, or the wind is blowing, it will be way too rough for me to even consider venturing out in a yak. That area can really get junked up with white caps and big woody debris after a storm.

Let's hope for low water and a cloudy day. This can really turn on the shad and stripers as they tend to prefer low light conditions. I think we have our best shot at this in the second half of April.

Posted on: 2/25 22:36

From Delaware Co.
Isn't there a closed season for stripers on the flats ?
I should be there, but late April wont be as productive for big stripers, they usually spawn on the full moon then roll out a few days later with just leaving the boys behind and they usually hang out for about a month after.

Posted on: 2/26 8:10

From West Chester
I'm interested in attending and fish that area pretty regularly. As Dave has said, it's an area with tons of variables (tides, wind, dam releases, etc) so i'm not going to get too caught up in setting a plan right now.

Last year the water was so high and dirty it put a damper on pretty much the entire spring run. In recent years it seems like the peak for fly sized stripers has occurred in early may. Water temps need to be above 50 for them to start hitting flies.

I wouldn't count on getting anywhere near the mouth of deer creek on a weekend in april with a fly rod. It's a well known spot and usually mobbed with fishermen.

I will probably look to wade fish in the morning by the dam for shad and would be willing to show some people around if i can attend.

Posted on: 2/26 10:53

From Flourtown, PA
Those who fish Deer Creek and wade near shore are probably only going to be catching shad. The stripers run the deeper water towards the middle of the river, between the giant boulders. You are going to want to try to fish the top of the tide, as well, when the water is deepest. Once it starts going out, there is usually a good hour of heightened activity. Dave W is correct that most fish caught will be in the 24-30" range, but it's seriously important to note that there will be 50 pounders in there, no $hit. I have caught more than a few there in excess of 20lbs, and if you hook one on an 8wt, you are not landing it without chasing it into the flats. If you can't horse a big fish there amongst the boulders, he's going to cut you off pretty quickly.

Also to note is what Dave W said about the flats. It is big water (even though you can stand up through most of it (kind of like Barnegat Bay-if your boat breaks down, you can just walk it back to shore). If the wind picks up, get the Hell out of there as fast as possible. The shallow water means less fetch is necessary from the wind to build up significant swells. It can get really hairy in a big hurry, and that's in a CC boat--I don't even want to know what it could be like in a kayak.

Also--Definitely don't be there when they're releasing water. You will die. Get some whiskey in me and ask me how I know sometime.

There is an island downstream of Deer Creek. The Southern bank of that island has always been kind to me, and I believe the bulk of the stripers runs up a channel adjacent to it. I have caught fish there in broad daylight in May on the fly (25lbs). All said, though, the best time to catch the stripers is from dusk until dawn. After that, it becomes much more of a crapshoot, and you have to get past both the shad and white perch.

Posted on: 2/26 12:40

From Pittsburgh
I fished for stripes in the ocean but not from yak.
If I can only find right size net...
Very tempting.

Posted on: 2/27 12:05

Just some experience: I've been fishing for shad there for many years. Both wading and kayak. I use a 7 wt. with a #3 sinking head and flutter spoons. I do not go out in the kayak if it is more than 50K CFS. I never target stripers in the river as it is not legal. Only 2 trips have I had a shad on and one of the big stripers takes it. Keep tight and they will let go. No way you can land a big fish in that current. The fish will die unless you have a very stout rod. Last year was bust as the only place I caught shad was up at the dam. I did catch a bunch of American's aka Whites. The hickories are a HOOT! They jump and usually are plentiful. Note: It is crowded!!!! And, Susquehanna State Park campground is great. They do have cabins to rent also.

Posted on: 2/27 18:24

From Gettysburg
Quote:

shadspoon wrote:
I never target stripers in the river as it is not legal.

We're meeting in April at the state park at Lapidum and if I read the regs correctly, C&R fishing for SB is permitted downriver from the boat ramp at Lapidum and out into the Susky Flats. Single hook flies would be required. To be sure, up at Conowingo Dam and at Deer Creek, targeting SB would not be legal as this is above the Lapidum Line.

Of course, I may be wrong as SB regs change frequently...

2018 Striped Bass Regs

Posted on: 2/27 19:05

From lancaster county
I appreciate all the info being shared here.

Posted on: 2/28 20:02

To Dave_W. If you do target stripers in the river you won't be alone and they don't enforce the rules. Fishing for smallmouth and walleyes... is the story. As dusk approaches the shad guys are leaving and the striper guys are arriving. Years ago they did allow targeting stripers for 1 year only. A real mess! Many fish died a result of guys without the skill and tackle to land a large fish in current. Fishing below Lapidum ramp it is legal. Most use bait on the bottom. Further down in the flats it is shallow and dusk and dawn are the times. If you get the right conditions it will work with a kayak, just be patient. Like anywhere, you may see someone dragging a 30 pounder up to the car on the river. Also shad on a stringer, neither is legal.. Not a perfect world! Shad are my favorite fish and I look forward to it every year!! And don't forget the Delaware!! I hope this all helps. below Conowingo is a magical place to fish spring to fall.

Posted on: 3/1 18:32

From Lancaster County
All this info is really helpful! I have to admit I'm a bit apprehensive about kayaking in that water, especially reading what you guys are saying about quickly changing conditions. I've never fished from a kayak before, so I might not make my first attempt there. It sounds like that area is better suited for people with experience.

I'd be totally happy to catch just shad if the stripers are out of reach.

Posted on: 3/2 11:10

From West Chester,PA
I like Dave's plan A LOT.Primarily because it gives not only date backup options) but also location options.

BTW:If it's not considered heresy here,bring along a spining rod with 6 Lb line..Pre rig tandum shad darts with a small swivel 6 inches above your dart set up:You could always fish off the rip rap at Lapidum Landing if it's windy or the river is ripping or your just feeling lazy

I have fished the Flats and Deer creek for 25 years and will stop by the campground daily to help with anything else that might come up. I will probably bring my 18 ft center console to Harve de Grace one day ,if the striper fishing is on and fish Deer Creek one day
Will not be camping with you guys ,but commuting back and forth to West Chester
Tom C

Posted on: 3/2 21:57

From So MD/Misplaced Pittsburgher
The main river is very difficult if not impossible to fish from shore with a fly rod. Most Ff fishing is in Deer creek. Kayaks and canoes can be used depending on flows. The river can be very dangerous the closer you get to the dam. For fly think shrimp platterns or anything pink white or red combos

Posted on: 3/4 12:13

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Sponsors
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

USGS Water Levels
The New Keystone Fly Fishing Book
Polls
Where do you most want to fly fish outside the region?
Western US 39% (31)
Alaska 10% (8)
New Zealand 32% (26)
Florida Keys 3% (3)
South America 6% (5)
Elsewhere 7% (6)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2018/3/17 12:44
6 Comments

Copyright 2018 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com