State College Saturday

IneFishent

IneFishent

Thinking about fishing LJ or Spring this weekend. Anyone else heading there and want a partner in crime?

FYI... home PSU football game this weekend...would not change my fishing plans because of it ...might make traffic less than ideal

Thanks for the heads up. I knew it was a game day but really never considered traffic can become an issue during games. I may just stay south and fish LJ but either way it's a weekend and I'm in no hurry to get anywhere.

Just a little heads up. Fished the J on Tuesday. Full sun day no clouds most of the day. You might want to be there in mid afternoon into the evening. It fished a lot better then the am and afternoon.

If I left my house at 8-8:30am heading to little j, can't believe I'd get there much before 11:30-12. In my case, PSU home game = leave at 5am or change plans.

What area gets a lot of traffic? I get on 99 in Altoona when I fish that area. I wouldn't expect to see a difference if I decide on LJ. I could see Spring being a different story since I'd pass the stadium on the highway.

not just a home football game...its homecoming as well..state college will be extra packed

I was going to head to Little J maybe because saw elsewhere that Penns was pretty low with very spooky fish.

The other thing to keep in my mind, there's a Trout Legend comp on the little J, with the comp water from Spruce Creek and above, but I'm not sure if they'll have it still since only 16 people signed up so far.

I planned on fishing below the gorge if I make it out there, so that wouldn't' impact me, but just so you know.

Kickoff is noon, there is all kinds of activities for students and alumni from Friday on to just before kickoff. If you get to the area say ten Saturday morn you'll be fine. Just don't go anywhere near downtown. I'd like to try and get out with you on Saturday afternoon, I need to see if it's possible or not. Spring's flow has dropped considerably from where it was just a week or two ago so it's low and clear and the trout are skittish. I've been doing very well with an 18 pt with an orange bead , hitching a ride with a bigger nymph where the runs still have some depth to them. Ive seen some 18/20 olives coming off in the evening with the fish comming out of the water after them so if you like dries make sure you have some off them. If I can get out I'll pm you my number and I'll sneak you in the back way to my house and we can roam in my truck if you like. ( I'm about a mile or two north of town). Real easy to get here the way your comming up. Jack

The Little J is low also. 80 cfs at the Spruce Creek gauge.

I wouldn't choose the Little J over Penns on the basis of flow. They'll both be low. But you could still catch fish on either one.

Your going to have no traffic concerns coming from Cambria co to the J.

Okay Jack, just let me know. I'm by no means a spring creek expert having only started fishing it last fall.

That's what I thought acristickid. I can't say that I have ever traveled on 99 on a game day but Tyrone is pretty far south.

Based on flows, I'd find a way to get to spring. It's got to fish better than Penns or the J

Ok In I'm in. (Had to write that ;] ) pm sent

No matter where you fish, the flows are gonna be low - which is typical for this time of year. I believe sept is usually the dryest month of the year.
So where ever you go, you'll need to be stealthy.

I'm thinking about going to the little j on sunday - mainly because I haven't fished it since spring.

I just fished lower Spring yesterday morning for about four hours. The water is low and the fish are spooky, but I still brought about 15 to hand including a 19" copper colored brown. All fish caught on top with #22 black midges, #20 blue wing olives and #14 yellow stimulators. You will do fine.

Back