• Thread starter sight_nymph_17109
  • Start date
sight_nymph_17109

sight_nymph_17109

Please read below information and PM me to let me know if you’ll be attending. Since it is such a small town environment up there, I’d like to give the motel owner and local diner a quick heads up if there’s going to be a group of 15+ people making the trip.

The original announcement was to have a September ‘mini-jam’ 3 day weekend. September 24, 25 and 26. As I had mentioned, I will be going up with my buddy Josh on the Wednesday September 22nd (weather & flows permitting). I’d like to get some type of feel / commitment for how many will make the trip to the Delaware River and Catskills with us in September. If you want to join us for 1, 2 or 5 days…. come on along!

I’ve been working on getting some goodies for a raffle but would need a pretty decent turnout for the shop owners to donate anything and that’s why I’m trying to get a head count 10 weeks in advance.

Things you should bring:
8 ½’ or longer fly rods in 4-6 weight
Waders with felt or studded soles
Rain Jacket
Net
Wading staff (for some)
Warm clothing
Camera
Caddis, olives, nymphs, streamers
Patience and sense of humor
Also….
Feel free to bring a canoe, kayak, drift boat or pontoon boat if you have one. There’s plenty of parking at the motel and I’m sure you’ll be able to find a group of guys to float with. Several area shops or locations also rent canoes, kayaks or drift boats.

*** At this time, I have two local shop owners and guides that would be willing to stop by and do a seminar on fishing the Delaware, give tips / techniques for the river and provide some history of the area. Please let me know in your PM if this is something that would interest you.

*** I also mentioned a vehicle tour of the different waters, famous pools, access points and a trip to the Catskill Fly Fishing Museum. Let me know if this is something that would interest you.

*** You may follow your GPS which takes 15-30 minutes longer or I can PM detailed driving directions for you.

Area Lodging:
Capra Motel
The Hancock House
The Delaware River Club
West Branch Angler
Smith’s Colonial Motel
East Branch Motel
Timberline Motel
Deposit Motel
The Baxter House

Area Fly Shops:
Catskill Flies
Border Water Outfitters
The Delaware River Club
West Branch Angler
The Beaverkill Angler
The Baxter House

Area Brown and Rainbow Trout Waters:
12 miles – Delaware River main stem
17 miles - West Branch of the Delaware River
17 miles - Upper East Branch of Delaware River
12 miles – Lower East Branch of Delaware River
15 miles – Beaverkill River
7 miles – Willowemoc River

Too many area wild brook trout streams to mention.

In late September, the insect activity is slower or more spotty than in the spring but still should rival or surpass what is seen by most anglers when fishing in PA. This trip will give you an opportunity to take wild browns and rainbows, many wearing their fall spawning colors. The fish will average between 16-22”. At that time of the year all methods will be effective (dry, nymph, streamer). Die hard fisherman will have the chance of a fish in the 24-30” range during low/no light periods on streamers or stimulator dries.

If you haven’t been to that area in a while, it’s time you got back there again. If you’ve never been there but are curious to see what all the chat is about or if you’d like to experiment on new waters, please join us. I’m not discouraging ‘newbies’ from coming but the fishing is fairly tough / technical. If you’re a beginner, we’ll find a way to get you catching fish but don’t be disappointed if you are less successful than on your local waters. Jdaddy from this forum had about 4 months of fly fishing under his belt and joined me last September. He took fish on the Beaverkill, Esopus, West Branch and Main Stem. I can’t tell you how good that is for a first timer. The only place he had trouble was the Upper East but that river is very, very tough and hold some real monsters with a masters in fly refusal.

In! Also, I am currently in the process of build an 8'6 8wt cane rod do you think it would be beneficial for a novice like myself to bring this rod along to paddle the drift boat?

You can use it as a wading staff or just use if for throwing a nymph rig w/ 3 #4 stoneflies and 4BB shots on it. Should perform well if you slow down your stroke.

I spoke w/ the motel manager and there is a group of bamboo only fly guys that book his hotel in the spring. They come from all over the East Coast. I told him to get me more info and I'll post it on here for any of the stick users that would be interested in fishing with like minded guys. And no, I won't be attending.

this sounds like a great fall jam , just wish it wasn`t a 7 hr drive for me, i haven`t fished the west branch of the delaware since 02

I'm sure there's some guys from the Pittsburgh area on here. Maybe 2-3 of you can hook up and carpool / take turns driving. I didn't realize it was 7 hours from out there. WOW.

Sight

Very nice job....thank you!

I sure would like to get back to that area, have only been there once! Sorry I can commit at this time, It will all depend on my health. If things workout for me, it would be nice to get, one or two guys, to hookup for the drive.

We will see!

PaulG

Might be willing to take the trip if we could get a couple of car poolers together from the Lehigh Valley and maybe share a room? Money is tight and car is poopie lol

Wrangle up a few guys from the area or post that you're looking for a ride if anyone is going. If you're a sweetheart like me, someone will take you.

I'm thinking we've already got 10-12 from here that said they'd go, about 6 from the Catskill Flies forum and another 5-10 that are on the fence. Get something set up and call for your room before all 14 of them are booked!

If there's room for one more I can come up after work on Friday, 9/24. I have room for a few guys in my truck. If you live in the Scranton area let me know. Also, I have a canoe I can bring. I just need to have somone haul it back to the put-in spot.

Let me know if anyone wants to hitch a ride.

Add you to the list or are you just a "maybe" at this point?

I got the green light from the Mrs. so I'm a yes!

nice! Welcome aboard.

Wife's officially on the dole, and while I'm pretty sure she's going to be making more as a stay-at-home mother on unemployment than she was working with daycare, I'm definatly going to stop even pretending to consider this anymore.

On the other hand, team WWI is free. Maybe that's where I go next. :)

LL is trying to swing it for 1-2 days. I'm taking him for a test run next month. Don't give up yet.

Will I need a NY license?

I know about the reciprial agreement. I was wondering if there was a strong possibility of NY only streams (east branch, beaverkill, etc.).

I really want to attend... but I don't have a canoe or a kayak though. I am pretty worthless for a float trip actually... I don't have a truck to shuttle with either.

I am also curious as to whether us PA guys would need a license to fish the delaware in NY?

I don't believe that everyone is floating. I may or may not, depending on flows.

You can fish the border waters (lower WB and mainstem) without a NY license. The stretches of water entirely within NY require a NY license.

Is it really difficult to fish or dangerous to wade the Delaware if flows are high? I know absolutely nothing about the Delaware. I think you guys can count me in though. At least I can explore the area a little bit if it does not work out on the D for me.

I have been there when it was ripping. It wasn't particularly dangerous unless you're an idiot. I was NOT walking into the main current, and that was that. You're just severely limited when it's real high.

Back