Sasquatch's Impromptu Warm Water JAM!!!!

The_Sasquatch

The_Sasquatch

Last minute warm water jam (organized on FB...now extended to the greater PAFF community)

TODAY, Sunday July 7th. 5pm at County Park in Lancaster. After going into the main entrance, take an immediate left and drive down to where the road is gated. We will be fishing the Conestoga from that area upstream to the Duke St bridge. We're chasing any and all uglies! Carp, smallies, panfish, no chubs allowed, and yes they do stock muskie in this stretch of the 'Stoga.

Have fun. I may try to make it if I'm home from a cookout in time, but I doubt it will work. Wish I would've known! Hope to see some good pics!

damn it why are you guys so far away?!?!!?!?! sounds like a big boy rod riot!!!!

Sorry about the short notice, it really did just come up "on the fly"!

Andy your killing me. I knew I should have checked the forum before I left today. Maybe next time.

Curious to know if this took place? Guessing not as some heavy rain storms moved through the area around that time yesterday. The Conestoga was finally starting to clear but it muddied up again after the rain.

May be interested if you try to organize another one.

Yeah it happened. RickinPA, Tim Robinsin, Sal and myself showed up. We pounded streamers (all kinds of streamers). I hear Sal brought 2 to hand, but that was it. Water was definitely off color. Wading was tough as you couldn't see the bottom most times.

We'll definitely try this again on a clearer day.

I hope I don't miss round 2.

I'll try plan "round 2" a little further out. This really did just materialize on facebook almost instantly. We were going to go Saturday but my wife but the ax to that, so we decided to go Sunday.

The Conestoga is best right around 150 CFS and after the turbidity has settled a bit. It's been so rainy lately that it hasn't had a chance to settle down.

Also, FWIW, muskies are only stocked upstream of the Water works:

Conestoga River

COCALICO CK CONF: Lat: 40.11476000, Long: -76.22647900

LANC WATERWORKS DAM: Lat: 40.05112900, Long: -76.27639000

Year Species Lifestage #Stocked
2001 Tiger Muskellunge Fingerling 700
2003 Tiger Muskellunge Fingerling 700
2005 Tiger Muskellunge Fingerling 900
2006 Tiger Muskellunge Fingerling 700
2007 Tiger Muskellunge Fingerling 900
2009 Tiger Muskellunge Fingerling 1,850
2011 Tiger Muskellunge Fingerling 1,150

Squatch,

Keep us posted. I am very interested in hooking up with you guys some evening. Sounds like a good time. I was actually planning on fishing that same stretch of the 'Stoga on Saturday (the evening before you guys hit it) but at the last minute I opted to explore a different section of Mill Creek in that area and did fairly well nymphing a hellgramite pattern in the faster water.

Can anyone post simple hellgramite patterns, by the way?

http://www.riverbum.com/Wooly-Bugger-Bead-Head-Black/

I'm really trying to get away from beads because Shakey says it might as well be spin fishing.

This is why Shakey never catches fish either.

Some of the flies he sent me had beads on them...

This is what I use. Which is basically a bugger with herl tail and antennae.

http://www.warmwaterflyfisher.com/flymonth/FOTM092002.htm

Murray's Hellgramite is also the pattern that's working well for me. I like tying mine with the dumbbell eyes (Clouser style). You can weight them with heavy lead wire if you don't like the eyes but you want to get 'em real deep. I like them riding hook up as they bounce off the bottom - less snags and keeps the hook sharper longer. Also when you catch a fish on a pattern with dumbbell eyes they are very often hooked cleanly in the upper lip which makes for a real clean, quick release.

Back