SE PA Trico Mini-Jam 7/4/2010 7AM

Heritage-Angler

Heritage-Angler

All PAFF members, family, and friends are cordially invited to join us for the 2010 SE PA Trico Mini-Jam on the Little Lehigh.

This event will be held on Sunday, July 4 at 7AM.

Due to the nature of fishing the Trico spinner fall, and the desire of many members to have a "mini Jam" that they don't have to make a multi-day committment to, a central location in the state (ie. Spring Creek) was deemed impractical. Therefore, the event will be held on the banks of the Little Lehigh, providing good access to anglers from two of the three largest metropolitan areas in the state.

We'll meet in the parking lot off of Park Rd at 7AM, and there should be plenty of room for everyone to fish. Weather is always a crap shoot, but we could use the rain that this event seems to bring on.

For those members that have never fished a Trico spinnerfall before - we'll try to pair you up with an experienced fisherman to help you out.

Waders are a good idea, but wet wading is an option (if you can stand the cold water). I'll have a case of spring water on ice in my truck, but it would be a good idea to carry some with you. Alcoholic beverages are not permitted in the Allentown Parkway system.

After the fishing and inevitable BS session, we'll be heading out to do lunch, and BS some more. The early start time should allow attendees to still get home in time for their Independence Day picnics.

No sign up required - just show up by 7AM.

Directions

H.A.

Well if I wake up at leave at 2am and don't mind getting in trouble if my little girl is born a bit early, then I'm there! lol.

You guys have fun. Been looking forward to fishing over my first trico hatch, but it'll have to wait till next year.

Bring on the Steelhead JAM!!!

Oh man if it wasn't about two hours away id go. Never fished those waters.

bassistjon112,

Man up! We're about the same drive time away from LL. I'm leaving around 3am! I'm not the biggest trico fan either but it's a chance to meet some of these guys and maybe learn some new stuff.

Yeah like an appreciation for cane rods! :-D

No. I'll be fishing in the 'hetero' section. Woooo Hoooo!!!

Sure. We'll go play golf after fishing. I'll use modern clubs and you can use hickory shafted clubs. We'll see who enjoys their round more.

Rumor has it someones gonna fish in a speedo and a fanny pack. I got 6 flies for the first one to step outta their car in that "combat" fatigue.

As a new Fly Fisherman I am definatly going to meet you guys down there! 30 minute drive for me, Such I am new I do not have any tricos and am willing to wear the speedo and fanny pack if it is provided, don't think you guys want to see that lol

OK. I see where this is going. I'll change to sport coat, tie, no shirt with one of those pointy chinese style hats made of straw. Chin strap made of bamboo. :)

LRSABecker wrote:
As a new Fly Fisherman I am definatly going to meet you guys down there! 30 minute drive for me, Such I am new I do not have any tricos and am willing to wear the speedo and fanny pack if it is provided, don't think you guys want to see that lol

No worries. We'll help you out if you promise to not wear the speedo!

I look forward to meeting you!

H.A.

littlelehigh wrote:
Rumor has it someones gonna fish in a speedo and a fanny pack. I got 6 flies for the first one to step outta their car in that "combat" fatigue.

Y'know, in my youth I'd have not only met that challenge face on, I'd have blown past it in stupidity.

You're all very, very lucky.

gfen wrote:

Y'know, in my youth I'd have not only met that challenge face on, I'd have blown past it in stupidity.

You're all very, very lucky.

I knew gfen in his youth - i can vouch for that. We dodged a bullet here folks...

I'm thinking about taking a holiday road trip to join you guys Sunday morning. Can anyone recommend a hotel somwhere between Harrisburg and were we will be?

Cheap and clean will do; WIFI would be a plus. Hope to see you all soon :)

Hi Mike!

It'd be great to see you again.

I have no clue what the cheapest place to stay here would be, but I drive by a billboard every day for the Red Roof Inn. It says the rooms are $59.99 a night with free wifi.

Red Roof Inn

That place is about 15 minutes from where we'll be fishing. I stayed there once, but only for a few hours. :oops:

Lemme know if you need any more info (about the fishing!)...

H.A.

Thanks HA :) It will be my 1st time in that area, so I'm looking forward to it.

I've tied a few Al's Tricos in #24. Should I tie a few in #22 as well? I would put pictures of them up, but I can't get my camera get clear focus on them.

Have a good friday everyone; the weekend's almost here :-D

I would recommend one of the hotels on rt 100 off of 78

trowpa wrote:
I knew gfen in his youth - i can vouch for that. We dodged a bullet here folks...

Man, I always forget this fact... I can never truly outrun my legacies.

I'm not looking forward to voluntarily waking up this early, but I can't wait to see some of you out there.

Goodfortune,

Al's trico's in sz 24 will be perfect. I have actually been using them in sz 22 and catching fish without any problem, but I think the smaller the better. I just have a tough time with the hackle on those tiny hooks.

Good to see you are making the long trip out east for this. I am not sure if you remember me, but I met you in Erie last year at the Steelhead jam. We ate dinner together on Sunday night I believe. Anyway, I will most likely be there and will probably see you then.

Rob

Got the green light from my better half. Haven't decided for sure so I MAY be there. Not easy to get up at 4 a.m. We'll see.

Dave R.

OldLefty wrote:
Got the green light from my better half. Haven't decided for sure so I MAY be there. Not easy to get up at 4 a.m. We'll see.

Dave R.

Don't MAKE us come up there! We have visitation rights. :-D

If the timing holds true, the bugs should hit the water heaviest around 9AM. Being a bit late shouldn't be a problem. By 10AM, there's still rising fish, but not like earlier. Last weekend had the water a bit off color, and it was easier to fish. You could see the fish just below the surface, munching away. Good stuff.

goodfortune - since it's still early in the hatch, you can get away with 22's with no problem. Casting accuracy is the ticket. There's a ton of fish in there - I'm always amazed with how they come from out of nowhere for a good hatch. If you'd like, I'll take you to a really cool stream for an evening hatch. Have some sulphurs (sz 18) and rusty spinners if you'd like to go. Great options for dinner there as well, especially if you don't have to make the trek home on Sunday night. This invitation applies to anyone else, too.

Back