Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 ... 5 6 7 (8) 9 10 11 »

Re: Pocono Newbie Jam - Fall Edition

From South Lebanon Township, PA
Good post Pat, thanks for the kind words too, hoping you can make it.

A few more thoughts I'll add...If Pat's not there, and anyone is interested, the stream I have in mind for Brookies is probably a healthy 45 minute drive away from the meetup point. Add another 30 mins+ for the hike in. So yea, it'll be an all day deal, figure that into your plans. Leave the morning meet-up, drive, hike, fish...eat lunch streamside, fish some more then hike out and drive back. Meet back up with the gang for some wings/beers. Round trip hike would probably be on the order of 3 miles or so, maybe a little more, depending on how far we make it. For the most part I would probably stop just shy of calling the terrain on this stream rugged, but it's borderline, and certainly not a good place to take a fall. Expect to be encountering and navigating over/around deadfalls, debris piles, large slippery rocks, and small waterfalls. It's a high gradient stream, but probably on the lower end of the high gradient spectrum. If Pat can make it, that may open up some other options I'm not quite as familiar with too, some of which may be closer to the meetup point.

Ditto to what pcray said for gear. As far as flies...and more specifically dry flies...bushy attractor dries are the way to go IMO...Wulffs, Caddis, Stimulators, Humpys, bigger Parachutes, whatever you like. Something that floats well and you can see easily. Specific pattern isn't all that important...the Brookies won't care. I'll have plenty of spares if you're short on those types of patterns.

I'll bring both my Brookie rod, and a longer, heavier rod for the Lehigh or Po if that's where everyone wants to head.

Posted on: 2012/10/2 12:14

From Christiana, Delaware
I will do the brookie excursion if there is room. If no room I'll understand and do somthing else.
This is the kind of stuff I live for.

I have an 8' 5wt rod.
I have leaders, I have flies. I'll have food.
I'm an Eagle Scout, I can make fire if I have too ...LOL
I'm pretty sure I can do the hike. I'm 51 years old, not over wgt. I am in ok shape for my age. I do a lot of road bike riding.
My only draw back is crouching low too much at my age.

That's my resume...hehe

Who ever is going to lead this thou check me over before we go. If you don't think I can do it just say so. My feelings won't be hurt. I don't want to get out there and have to hold anyone up.

Posted on: 2012/10/2 13:41

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
You're in.

If I don't show, Swattie is planning on a place where the hike is long, but not all that hard. Flat, fairly open, pretty good path. Just a lot of distance.

If I show, we may instead go to a place where the hike is considerably more difficult in terms of some very steep spots, scrambling over boulders, and occasionally fighting rhodo. Casting ain't too bad, though.

Both are very good and require sworn secrecy under punishment of death to your first born, lol.

Posted on: 2012/10/2 14:48

Aducker - I'm sure you'd be fine on the one I have in mind. The hike in/out isn't all that bad, just long, as Pat mentioned. The more difficult part is just climbing around/into/out of the stream, which although not terribly steep on the whole, can be in spots. Small streams like this often can get totally blocked by a debris dam, or downfall too, which depending on the lay of the land at the point, may require you to climb over (or backtrack quite a ways to find a way around). This isn't unique to this stream per se, just small, higher gradient streams in general. Just wanted to make sure everyone's aware it's not exactly a flat, graded path along a stream in a well populated area!

The one Pat has in mind is a real butt kicker from what I understand. I've never fished it, but know several who have and from just looking at topo maps of it, I can tell it would be a rough one. Likely well worth the effort though.

Posted on: 2012/10/2 15:15

From Along the Lehigh Above the Gap
I dunno boys, Lehigh might become blown out with this rain. We might end up hitting a few smaller streams if it does. I will keep an eye on the gauges.

Posted on: 2012/10/4 13:31

http://bugflingerandfeatherlasher.blogspot.com/

From Wayne County
I just got in from fishing. Got totally soaked, really heavy rain up above Scranton.

What gauges should we be monitoring for Saturday?

Fished a recently stocked pond and only managed a sunny and a small bass. Trout were just beyond my reach. I know this because a tall guy wearing waders and in water up to his hips was catching them. I wore knee high boots, didn't think I would need the waders. Tomorrow I'm going back with the boat.

Posted on: 2012/10/4 13:45

From Philadelphia
Quote:

CathyG wrote:
Fished a recently stocked pond and only managed a sunny and a small bass. Trout were just beyond my reach. I know this because a tall guy wearing waders and in water up to his hips was catching them. I wore knee high boots, didn't think I would need the waders. Tomorrow I'm going back with the boat.

Cathy I can still hear your yelling "I got the pallie". Ahhh, those were the days.

Posted on: 2012/10/4 14:03

From Lehigh Valley
Yeah, and she caught TWO in one day!

That girl can fish.....

Attach file:

jpg  CathyG golden rainbow2.jpg (135.54 KB)
72_506dd42cc1d74.jpg 520X694 px

Posted on: 2012/10/4 14:23

Quote:

CathyG wrote:
I just got in from fishing. Got totally soaked, really heavy rain up above Scranton.

What gauges should we be monitoring for Saturday?

There are a few gauges to monitor. The first would be the release from FEW. The next gauge would be the Lehighton one and then Walnutport. If FEW is blown, the whole river is blown. If just Lehighton and Walnuport are up, we could fish up towards the dam.

Posted on: 2012/10/4 17:06

From Glendora nj
Hey becker I think you should wade in the lehigh and we will give it a few minutes and see if you head down stream. It will be like kayaking out west we will have a few people down stream with ropes to throw to you.

Posted on: 2012/10/4 18:19

We will be good tomorrow. I have an area that I really want to hit. It will be about a mile walk, maybe less, but it will be on a bike path with no hills. Look forward to it!

Posted on: 2012/10/5 9:48

From Quakertown, pa
I might able to go but will have my 7 month old son so no wading. He loves watching people fish including myself.

Posted on: 2012/10/5 10:03

From Bucks County
Should we bring a lunch to eat on-stream or is there a local place to go to?

Posted on: 2012/10/5 10:28

Doc there is a local place we plan on eating if you are coming me. If you plan on doing the brookie thing, I would suggest bring some food.

Posted on: 2012/10/5 11:47

Yep, the Brookie group(s) will probably need to eat a streamside lunch to avoid a lengthy walk/climb back to the vehicles, so plan to pack a lunch. I'd also recommend at least 32 oz of water/Gatorade/non-alcoholic beverage of choice/etc. It's not gonna be all that hot, but we'll be hiking a good bit.

Becker - still planning on an early evening meetup after the fishing for some wings/beers too?

Posted on: 2012/10/5 11:59

« 1 ... 5 6 7 (8) 9 10 11 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com