Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS


Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users



« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 ... 9 »


Re: PAFF Warmwater Jam/Float - Saturday 8/4/12

Joined:
2010/2/18 8:57
From SW PA
Posts: 737
Offline
Dave, with all due respect, I think you can have a great day on the water every time you go out. You just can't focus on catching a hundred fish. :)

Posted on: 2012/7/6 7:01
_________________
Hatches come and go of their own accord, but work will wait for you to get back.


Re: PAFF Warmwater Jam/Float - Saturday 8/4/12
Moderator
Joined:
2006/9/11 8:26
From Chester County
Posts: 8938
Offline
Quote:

DaveS wrote:
Dave, with all due respect, I think you can have a great day on the water every time you go out. You just can't focus on catching a hundred fish. :)


Lol........Fishididiot is NO fish idiot! He has fun messing with Benny, catchin' bugs, takin' pics, Painting while wading in the stream (true story), as well as catchin' a fish once in a while.

Posted on: 2012/7/6 7:15


Re: PAFF Warmwater Jam/Float - Saturday 8/4/12
Moderator
Joined:
2006/9/9 17:32
From Gettysburg
Posts: 9126
Offline
Yep - true enough (both DaveS and Afish).

Posted on: 2012/7/6 7:18


Re: PAFF Warmwater Jam/Float - Saturday 8/4/12

Joined:
2006/9/15 15:26
From Schuylkill County
Posts: 611
Offline
A question, so what effect does the warmer water have on smallies and their feeding activity? What temp is non-productive?
John

Posted on: 2012/7/6 18:30
_________________
Once in a while
you get shown the light
in the strangest of places
if you look at it right...


Re: PAFF Warmwater Jam/Float - Saturday 8/4/12
Moderator
Joined:
2006/9/9 17:32
From Gettysburg
Posts: 9126
Offline
JF,
I'm a bit unsure on this.
As I mentioned in one of the water temp threads, I'm convinced that SMBs like warm water. In my experience, summer bass action is best in temps of about 75-85 degrees. My (limited) experience with warmer water has suggested to me that about 86-88 degrees is the upper limit and that temps warmer than this seem to inhibit SMB activity. I rarely fish temps warmer than this so am not convinced yet.

We need to do more research.

Posted on: 2012/7/6 18:56


Re: PAFF Warmwater Jam/Float - Saturday 8/4/12
Moderator
Joined:
2006/9/9 17:32
From Gettysburg
Posts: 9126
Offline
Incidentally, for those of you attending this event (or any event) where you'll be borrowing a kayak or floating as a guest in someone else's boat....be prepared to do some wading and wear appropriate wading boots. Just remember not to wear cleated soles if you're floating in a boat.

Posted on: 2012/7/6 19:30


Re: PAFF Warmwater Jam/Float - Saturday 8/4/12

Joined:
2006/9/9 17:18
From lancaster county
Posts: 6434
Offline
I have a very good chance of making this but Ill be wading
If no OT that weekend at work, I'm in!

Posted on: 2012/7/11 23:22
_________________
http://cvtu.homestead.com/





Re: PAFF Warmwater Jam/Float - Saturday 8/4/12

Joined:
2008/8/10 18:44
From lebanon, pa
Posts: 244
Offline
i'm going to see about making this trip.

Posted on: 2012/7/13 21:16


Re: PAFF Warmwater Jam/Float - Saturday 8/4/12

Joined:
2006/9/9 22:43
From Delaware Co.
Posts: 3449
Offline
I am really looking forward to this . Is there any details on how we are to organize the float . I am deffinitely floating

Posted on: 2012/7/14 8:43
_________________
There is no disadvantage in being able to cast far"
- Lefty Kreh -


Re: PAFF Warmwater Jam/Float - Saturday 8/4/12
Moderator
Joined:
2006/9/9 17:32
From Gettysburg
Posts: 9126
Offline
Quote:

Fredrick wrote:
I am really looking forward to this . Is there any details on how we are to organize the float . I am deffinitely floating


I'll defer to Afish on this one.
When I organized the 2012 WW jam on the Juniata, I briefed most of the float details/safety etc on site when the crew had gathered.

BTW: I'll be floating the J today - wish me luck.

Posted on: 2012/7/14 8:49


Re: PAFF Warmwater Jam/Float - Saturday 8/4/12
Moderator
Joined:
2006/9/11 8:26
From Chester County
Posts: 8938
Offline
Quote:

Fredrick wrote:
I am really looking forward to this . Is there any details on how we are to organize the float . I am deffinitely floating



From my post earlier in this thread:



The plan is to meet up at the Park & Ride just off the highway and drive down together to the River. We will be fishing/floating the Harding / Falls section of the Susky. Floaters will put in at the Falls launch and take out at the Apple Tree Road launch. The float is about 6-7 miles. Waders can park and fish at both places.

This is a day trip, but those wishing to stay overnight can camp here:

http://local.yahoo.com/info-12125419- ... a-shores-campground-falls

I've never camped there, but it's located right along the River, very close to the take-out.

Posted on: 2012/7/14 8:53


Re: PAFF Warmwater Jam/Float - Saturday 8/4/12

Joined:
2009/2/17 21:02
From Landisville
Posts: 178
Offline
Was just on the River this past weekend, above Port Royal... Saw many fish, even landed a few (but on spin gear) There were some very large (understatement) catfish carp suckers that swam under my yak! Saw quite a few smallies, and other panfish. Witnessed a 20+" smallie get creeled, caught off live helgramite. Wish I could make this trip, but I'll be out of state for work. (Any fishing to be had in Santa Fe New Mexico?)

Posted on: 2012/7/17 9:57
_________________
Slay


Re: PAFF Warmwater Jam/Float - Saturday 8/4/12

Joined:
2009/6/11 1:27
From York, PA
Posts: 1413
Offline
Quote:

Fishidiot wrote:
my personal pet-peeve - that "hundred fish days are common" on the Susquehanna or any other PA river.


FI,

sorry for your "pet peeve" but i always caught >100 healthy, beautiful smallmouth bass with a fly rod all summer and fall! every afternoon, rain or shine? i used to post pix every day on "riversmallies.com"
i don't mean to brag, but bob clouser would catch a few with his deer hair clousers, while i would catch hundreds with my lead eye olive woolybuggers. marabou is the God sent feathers that rocked my world! this was near the end of the great fishing! also, i should say that i'm pretty sure that i was the very first to use a "smoke grub 2 1/2" on a 1/32 oz jig head with a UL spin rod and 2lb test line! a bass on every cast until i got tired of reeling them in, so i would put on a plug!
the susquehanna has changed a lot in the past ten years, but i still manage "more than my share" with my 5wt.

i'll be at the warmwater jam (i'll give you a couple flies that will catch any warmwater fish that swims) ....... if i can just keep my mouth shut on the OT forum? LOL a couple guys on this site want to beat me up..... maybe i could wear a disguise?


Posted on: 2012/7/19 0:24


Re: PAFF Warmwater Jam/Float - Saturday 8/4/12

Joined:
2006/9/9 22:43
From Delaware Co.
Posts: 3449
Offline
Quote:

1wt wrote:
Quote:

Fishidiot wrote:
my personal pet-peeve - that "hundred fish days are common" on the Susquehanna or any other PA river.


FI,

sorry for your "pet peeve" but i always caught >100 healthy, beautiful smallmouth bass with a fly rod all summer and fall! every afternoon, rain or shine? i used to post pix every day on "riversmallies.com"
i don't mean to brag, but bob clouser would catch a few with his deer hair clousers, while i would catch hundreds with my lead eye olive woolybuggers. marabou is the God sent feathers that rocked my world! this was near the end of the great fishing! also, i should say that i'm pretty sure that i was the very first to use a "smoke grub 2 1/2" on a 1/32 oz jig head with a UL spin rod and 2lb test line! a bass on every cast until i got tired of reeling them in, so i would put on a plug!
the susquehanna has changed a lot in the past ten years, but i still manage "more than my share" with my 5wt.

i'll be at the warmwater jam (i'll give you a couple flies that will catch any warmwater fish that swims) ....... if i can just keep my mouth shut on the OT forum? LOL a couple guys on this site want to beat me up..... maybe i could wear a disguise?



I think FI will take you to the cleaners 1wt
...........................Just Saying....................................

Posted on: 2012/7/19 6:24
_________________
There is no disadvantage in being able to cast far"
- Lefty Kreh -


Re: PAFF Warmwater Jam/Float - Saturday 8/4/12
Moderator
Joined:
2006/9/9 17:32
From Gettysburg
Posts: 9126
Offline
Quote:

1wt wrote:
FI,

sorry for your "pet peeve" but i always caught >100 healthy, beautiful smallmouth bass with a fly rod all summer and fall! every afternoon, rain or shine?


Really - always? You're a heckeuva better fisherman than I!

Honestly, this is the kind of nonsense that does a disservice to the memory of the lower Susquehanna or that imparts entirely unrealistic expectations when people take up river bass fishing. Can you catch an honest 100 SMBs in a day? Sure. Especially if you put two guys in a boat and fish all day, it's not that big of a deal. However, to imply that this was always the case (or even common) every time one wade fished in an evening is baloney. SMBs are easy to catch - but they're not a sure thing. I had many - many - days on the lower Susky back in the glory days of the 1990s when I couldn't buy a strike with fly or spin gear or caught only a few dinks. Oftentimes, this was a day or two after I had fabulous fishing.
It can be hit or miss.

Posted on: 2012/7/19 7:39



« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 ... 9 »



You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]





Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me



Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes 52% (85)
No 47% (78)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/8/22 12:38
1 Comment





Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com