Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 ... 4 5 6 (7) 8 9 »

Re: PAFF Warmwater Jam/Float - Saturday 8/4/12

From SW PA
Its probably worth mentioning that if anybody wants to float with me, I have room of another angler on my 'toon.

Posted on: 2012/8/3 14:39

From Lancaster
I'm really looking forward to meeting you guys tomorrow. My main goals for tomorrow are to: meet some new folks, see some new water, and learn as much as I can about WW fishing. Hopefully, during that process we can smash a few smallies. Thanks Dave for the invite. See you in the morning at Pittston!

Posted on: 2012/8/3 15:29

From Delaware Co.
Despite the poor fishing I had a great time it was nice to meet some new board members and unfortunate to meet some I have already meet before

Resized Image

Resized Image

Resized Image

Posted on: 2012/8/5 7:31

From Chester County

Attach file:

jpg  Group pic at the take-out.jpg (29.83 KB)
53_501e5da8bd2dc.jpg 720X540 px

Posted on: 2012/8/5 7:38

From Delaware Co.
Quote:

afishinado wrote:

I think I might be the guy on the far left

Posted on: 2012/8/5 8:13

From Flourtown, PA
Yeah, it was defintely great to meet everyone, even if the fishing was relatively non-existent. Thanks again, Dave, for the beer and the lift back to my truck. We felt for the rest of the gang who fought that upstream wind all day.

I'm going to start scouting some sections of the Delaware for smallies. Maybe we can do this again somewhere and/or time when the fish might be a bit more cooperative. That's twice in a month that the North Branch has been stingy to me and Afish.

Posted on: 2012/8/5 12:00

From Chester County
I know the D pretty well. Maybe a SMB trip up there is in order. I never give up.

Posted on: 2012/8/5 12:05

From Delaware Co.
Quote:

SurfCowboyXX wrote:
Yeah, it was defintely great to meet everyone, even if the fishing was relatively non-existent. Thanks again, Dave, for the beer and the lift back to my truck. We felt for the rest of the gang who fought that upstream wind all day.

I'm going to start scouting some sections of the Delaware for smallies. Maybe we can do this again somewhere and/or time when the fish might be a bit more cooperative. That's twice in a month that the North Branch has been stingy to me and Afish.

I'm in even if there is a bad wind again

Posted on: 2012/8/5 12:14

From Gettysburg
Yup - great time was had.

Seeing Fred's pics - dang, I'm still smoked from that marathon storm paddle yesterday.

I hit the water pretty hard again this morning early. Tried everything: high and low, big and small, bright and dark, fast and slow. Zippo.
I'll gather my thoughts (and pics) and post a full report shortly.

Posted on: 2012/8/5 14:15

From Dallastown, PA
I went into this weekend thinking the float would be short and there would be alot of dragging through riffles. Boy was I wrong. We went from thinking the float would be 1.5 hours to having the first 1/4 mile take an hour.

As soon as we got on the river the wind pick ed up and it didn't quit til we got off the river 6 hours later. We could have walked there quicker. There was a headwind all day. Paddling was brutal trying to keep the canoe straight. All along the five mile float we stopped and pounded the riffles, pools and rock gardens. I even used spin gear to search for fish. No luck.

About five miles into the trip the wind got really nasty with a big storm blowing in. 1.5' white caps blowing up river. Trying to keep the bow into the waves was hard to do even though I got upfront in the canoe with my twelve year old daughter womaning the stern. We worked hard all day just to get to the take out.

The funny thing was when we would pull over to fish the wind would die down and as soon as we would push off again it would be more intense than the last leg.

I learned yesterday that the Indian name for the NB of the Susquehanna is "Wind blows up river with no fish."

I think we could have paddled north quicker.

Dave S and SurfCowboy get the "wise choice" award by making the astute assessment 1.5 hours in to stay and fish near the campground.

DC410 led the tourney with a 4" rock bass until we learned that Dave S edged him out with a Chub modestly larger.

Hey this was 9 guys who know how to fish pounding a five mile stretch of river.

You can't make this stuff up.

Posted on: 2012/8/5 14:54

From Delaware Co.
Resized Image

Resized Image

Resized Image

Resized Image

Resized Image

Posted on: 2012/8/5 15:54

From Lancaster
Thanks Afish for organizing the float. I really enjoyed meeting all you guys yesterday. You guys are a great group. Yeah, the river dealt us a bad hand yesterday and kicked our butts, but that's fishin'. Paddling against that head wind and into the impending storm in the last mile of the float was a serious cardio work out! All in all I had a great time and will definitely look forward to future WW float jams. Thanks again to all for a memorable day.

Posted on: 2012/8/5 17:27

From Lancaster
Sorry I bailed in a last minute game-time decision. Sounds like my kind of paddling
My instincts told me the fishing would be slow at best.Instead I hit my favorite smallie streams and came awful close to taking the skunk: one small bass at the takeout after a nice float over what should've produced much better. Poor smallie fishing in PA seems to be an epidemic these days....

Posted on: 2012/8/5 18:36

From York, PA
Quote:

Maurice wrote:
I even used spin gear to search for fish. No luck.

the Indian name for the NB of the Susquehanna is "Wind blows up river with no fish."

DC410 led the tourney with a 4" rock bass until we learned that Dave S edged him out with a Chub modestly larger.

pounding a five mile stretch of river.

Wow! Even the north branch now? The Susquehanna has me a bit concerned?

It's getting to the point that to catch something, you have to go after carp or use a UL rod with size 16's and try for the small chubs, gills, and rockbass!

Posted on: 2012/8/5 21:40

From Gettysburg
A few quick observations about the river:

The North Branch is a healthy river based on the tremendous population of macro invertebrates, including many pollution intolerants, I observed. Crayfish were numerous but what really surprised me was the extremely heavy number of mayflies and caddisflies! Turning over rocks, I almost felt I was looking at rocks in Penns Creek: swarms of crawling mayflies in all sizes as well as ISOs and various little swimmers. Caddis were also very thick with many of the larvae quite large. Even saw a golden stone along with the typical large hellgrammites. Very good water quality.

There were white flies coming off at dusk on Saturday down at the take out point but they were sparse and no fish were rising. Later that night, around 10pm, DaveS and I checked for them up at the campground and saw none.
Water temp was in the mid 80s.

Posted on: 2012/8/5 22:31

« 1 ... 4 5 6 (7) 8 9 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com