PAFF Informal Casting Clinic

Heritage-Angler

Heritage-Angler

A bunch of us are getting together for an informal casting clinic on Wednesday, July 15, upstream from the hatchery along the Little Lehigh. See details in this LINK.

All are invited, come and go as you please. All skill levels welcome. This should be fun!

H.A.

Thanks for the invitation HA. Wish I could come, but I travel to Iowa the 15th.

Just got back in from an evening of casting instruction, diner discussions, and general camraderie.

Thanks to Heritage Ed for general organziation and teaching and Old Lefty for really giving me some new things to think about, and exercises to practice.

Good times meeting all of you who came over, including Wetnet, Afish, Flyflinger, and the last guy who's name has completely slipped my mind.

Hopefully this can be an example for other mini-meets and whatnot for those of us who can't make the full Jam, and I do hope to see some of the same faces and new ones for the Trico Summit.

I'm pretty sure HA will be along shortly for pictures.

(oh, and since you didn't get one, I'll be sure to send you an autographed shot of the CFO reel, Ed... ;) )

That's great! I wish I were out visiting my mom this week so I could have been a part. Several of us get together to fish on this half now and then. I assume you guys out there do the same. Makes the Jams more fun too...So are yo all better casters now?

gfen wrote:
Just got back in from an evening of casting instruction, diner discussions, and general camraderie.

Thanks to Heritage Ed for general organziation and teaching and Old Lefty for really giving me some new things to think about, and exercises to practice.

Good times meeting all of you who came over, including Wetnet, Afish, Flyflinger, and the last guy who's name has completely slipped my mind.

Hopefully this can be an example for other mini-meets and whatnot for those of us who can't make the full Jam, and I do hope to see some of the same faces and new ones for the Trico Summit.

I'm pretty sure HA will be along shortly for pictures.

(oh, and since you didn't get one, I'll be sure to send you an autographed shot of the CFO reel, Ed... ;) )

gfen

What is the trico summit about? It's the first I've heard of this!

PaulG

Good for you guys.

Gotta love talking fishing- if your not that is.

Sounds fun.

PaulG wrote:
What is the trico summit about? It's the first I've heard of this!

There's a movement afoot to get together one of these days and fish a trico spinner fall.

I know Jay has expressed interest in it, so I think once he comes pack a poll will be posted with some dates, and we'll all vote to pick the most likely.

From there, its get together, fish, lunch, and fish.

Tom,
I think everyone improved their casting in some fashion. For me, Dave's advise on roll casting was a great help. As was Ed's. Can't wait to get out and try it now.

The only complaint I have about last night was Dave couldn't cast all 120' of line on every cast. What a shame. (Joking of course)

Had a great time at the casting jam yesterday. Thanks to Dave Rothrock (Old Lefty) for taking the time to help us out with some casting instruction, and thanks to Ed (Heritage) for organizing the day.

Since the Western PA and Central PAFFers seem to be dead in the water, it's up to the guys in the East to get things going. As far as a trico jam, plans are being made as we speak. Details will be forthcoming from Gfen, Jayl, or Heritage in the coming weeks. Also, I tried last season but it didn't work out, but again I would like to plan an early fall trip to the Upper D, maybe in September.

Note: These events or "jams" are informal get-togethers organized by individual PAFF members and are not necessary sponsored or endorsed by the PAFF site or Dave Kile.

The PAFF Informal Casting Clinic was held on Wednesday, 7/15/09, at 3:30 PM on the banks of the Little Lehigh. This event was as much a chance to meet some fellow PAFF members as it was a casting clinic, and a good time was had by all.

As Dave Kile has pointed out before, PAFF has some really skilled anglers, and this event was further proof of this. Dave Rothrock, a certified FFF casting instructor, was kind enough to provide his impressive teaching skills to his fellow PAFF members free of charge at this event. To all who attended, I hope each of you took something with you that will improve your skill level, and enable you to catch more fish.

PAFF has grown exponentially over the years. We've come a long way from the old "continuous threads" format of the old forum, but the heart and soul of the forum is still the incredibly talented membership of this forum. Kudos to Dave Kile for providing us with such a great resource!

This event was an informal get-together to share some of the wealth of knowledge that exists on the board and with its members. As Afish stated, it was just something some of the members came up with to promote good will and comaraderie amongst our fellow board members. A common thought that was expressed throughout the evening was a sense of regret people had for not being able to attend the "official" PAFF Jamboree. Events like these provide a way for us to get together and share skills and good times without having to make a multi day committment in time that many just can't do. Look for more of these "Mini Jams" in the future!

On a personal note, I was surprised that we didn't have any beginners attend this event. It was a perfect opportunity to get some free casting help. An even bigger surprise was the really experienced anglers that showed up - for example, Afishinado. Smart anglers take every opportunity to further their skills, and a better casting skillset is always desireable. The never ending quest to improve oneself as a flyfisherman is one of the best things about the sport IMHO.

Next up - The Trico Summit! More info to follow on this.......

H.A.

PAFF Informal Casting Clinic Photo Album

Sounds like great fun and an informative and valuable outing. Thanks to those who organized and shared their skills. The regular Jam has a lot more beer drinking and fishing, but I don't think we learn a whole lot to improve our fishing. Great job!

Sorry I couldn't make it, looks like everyone enjoyed it. We should have more of these things!

PaulG

Should like a great time. Post in the blog for all to hear more about it. HH and all thanks for putting this on.

Back