Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 7 ... 11 »

Re: Next Year's Jam Location !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

From Westmoreland County (near fairgrounds)
Ed,

This looks like a wonderful opportunity. The drive to the mid-state limestoners is not too far and its a beautiful drive (Bruno, Andrew and I made the reverse trip to Young Woman's Creek in 2009).

Thanks for doing the leg-work!

Posted on: 2010/5/29 12:20

Quote:

dryflyguy wrote:
Wow - even though we'd be mostly catching stocked fish up there, that's an offer that's pretty hard to refuse.
FWIW, we would likely see green drakes hatching on kettle creek that weekend - even in a normally timed hatching year

There is loads of good wild trout fishing in that area. For both wild browns and native brookies. The headwaters of Kettle and its many tributaries. And the headwaters and tribs of Pine Creek are nearby. Young Womans Creek and tribs are close by too.

It sounds like an ideal situation. I haven't stayed at Quiet Oaks, but I've heard good reports.

Posted on: 2010/5/29 14:25

From pittsburgh
i think its a fine place its not far from spring penns kettle young womans hammersley cross fork not to mention all the wild streams in both state forests sounds like a better place than where we were this year and im sure its nice and close to bfc too im in by this time next year i should be able to stay a whole week

Posted on: 2010/5/29 15:08

-me

From harlansburg
kegs not included??!! forget it, deals off!
just kidding, sounds like a great place and they want our business, and there are plenty of places to fish nearby. i'm voting yes!!

Posted on: 2010/5/29 18:41

From Pittsburgh
Quote:

troutbert wrote:
Quote:

dryflyguy wrote:
Wow - even though we'd be mostly catching stocked fish up there, that's an offer that's pretty hard to refuse.
FWIW, we would likely see green drakes hatching on kettle creek that weekend - even in a normally timed hatching year

There is loads of good wild trout fishing in that area. For both wild browns and native brookies. The headwaters of Kettle and its many tributaries. And the headwaters and tribs of Pine Creek are nearby. Young Womans Creek and tribs are close by too.

It sounds like an ideal situation. I haven't stayed at Quiet Oaks, but I've heard good reports.

I really doubt that you can consistently catch wild fish of the nice size that you get in the limestoners.

Posted on: 2010/5/29 23:42

From Enola, Pa.
Having the jam at hemlock was convenient for me, having my camper there made it easy. It looks like it time to move on, this Quiet Oaks sound the it could fit our needs, I say lets look into it for next year.

The only requirement I have is, I need to stay in a cabin, to old to stay in a tent and sleep on the ground, can't do the stuff anymore.

I'll still do the coffee!

PaulG

Posted on: 2010/5/30 7:14

From Pittsburgh
Quote:

dryflyguy wrote:
I really doubt that you can consistently catch wild fish of the nice size that you get in the limestoners.

Certainly true (few places compare), but Pine has a plenty of pig holdovers and some blanket hatches... and there is a ton of water to fish just on Pine. The fish can (and have) a lot of room to take a LOT of line on big water like Pine.

I like the idea of moving it around a little, just for the diversity. We know the limestoners are the premiere location for PA flyfishing, but still good to see some of the other opportunities for people who might not get to see them otherwise. This area is still centralized, so it's equitable in it's travel distance. And there's diversity in the fishing opportunities available in the immediate vicinity.

Posted on: 2010/5/30 8:16

From Monessen, PA
Cameron County has the greatest concentration of wild trout Class A waters than any other county in the Commonwealth. We will finally be able to have our brookie-fry.

Posted on: 2010/5/30 9:37

-- Leo Tolstoy

Could never understand guys that drive 3-4 hours to get to a jam located as close as could be to Penns, then drive another 30 mins to an hour away to fish a 5 foot wide brookie stream? Assuming flows on Penns are good.

Posted on: 2010/5/30 9:54

From Lehigh Valley
Just so everyone knows - I suggested Quiet Oaks as a possible alternative to Hemlock Acres, just in case negotiations with Rudy don't pan out.

While the fishing up there is very good, there is no way any stream in PA can compete with Penns, providing it isn't blown out. The Kettle Creek watershed can easily support the quantity of fishermen that we'd add, and the ability to find places to fish in the likely high water event that the Jam always has is good also. This area is a good alternative to the Central PA limestoners, while still being close enough to hit those limestoners if you so choose.

There are two things that need to be done to secure Quiet Oaks as the 2011 Jamboree location. First, I feel that the Jam location should be put to a vote A.S.A.P. Jack has done this before, and the moderators could do so again. I'm just a member that suggested an alternative location in case HACG plans fall through. In other words, we have options.

If the board votes to have the 2011 Jam at Quiet Oaks, all it would take is one phone call, and they'll do the rest. The individual board members would be responsible to call them to make reservations for both cabins, and tent sites. The cabins are first come, first served - they can't hold them for our group. Any reservations made should mention the Jam, however.

There are other options for under roof housing in the area, and if this location is chosen, I'll post the ones I know of.

I don't want to step on anyone's toes as far as running the Jam. They guys that did it in the past did a fine job, and should do so again, IMHO. I'll gladly act as a contact for Quiet Oaks, but anyone can do that. I'll be there the week before the Jam, so we have an on site presence to act as a go-between.

H.A.

Posted on: 2010/5/30 12:40

From Lehigh Valley
Before I forget (again), I was asked to let the forum members know about access to the campground (Quiet Oaks). It's cake. Just take Rt. 144 from Renovo up the mountain to the village of Tamarack. At the top of the mountain, there is a white church, and the road alongside it is Steward Hill Rd. There is a sign for the campground there, and the road only goes off to the right. Taking Steward Hill Road will bring you right to the entrance of Quiet Oaks. Steward Hill Road is paved on that end, up to about 50 yards from Quiet Oaks, where it becomes a gravel/dirt road. It's also a gravel/dirt road for about 3 miles down the mountain into the bustling metropolis of Cross Fork. The road is no problem for cars, even after a heavy rain - it's almost like blacktop, but a little more dusty.

As far as the breakfast thing goes, they also do the breakfasts down at the Cross Fork Fire Company, so they're experienced at cooking for groups. I'm pretty sure it's a pay at the table deal, and I'll get prices and a menu if/when we decide to do this there. It'd be really convenient to have a good breakfast available on site, and it won't affect which direction you drive off the mountain to go fishing.

Posted on: 2010/5/30 14:33

From harlansburg
Now your making me hungry for breakfast!! LOL!
I really like the idea of moving it around a little. next year in NC area, maybe SC year after, maybe back to penns area after that.

Posted on: 2010/5/30 16:50

From Pittsburgh
David:

Yeah, I've caught some nice holdovers in pine creek also.

I've been to the last 3 jamborees - all at hemlock acres.
And it's certainly a great location.
But I also agree that it's time for a change of scene - even if we hadn't got kicked out
And quiet oaks certainly sounds great. It sure would be nice to go somewhere that actually wants to have us, instead of just tolerating us.
Thanks HA for stepping up on this so quickly

Posted on: 2010/5/31 0:29

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
I vote yes. Hemlock Acres was a great site but it appears as if we've worn out our welcome. Could use a change in scenery anyway. In that area, unless someone wants to go all the way up towards Coudersport, I don't know enough to be a "guide", so I'd want to join someone who knows the area, which is cool with me.

Quote:
Could never understand guys that drive 3-4 hours to get to a jam located as close as could be to Penns, then drive another 30 mins to an hour away to fish a 5 foot wide brookie stream?

It's not like thats all we fished, still go to big streams in the afternoon/evening. Just something different, thats all. I can't stay on one stream all day long unless its really ON. And though we didn't get into them so much at the jam, when I get into browns, I catch more and bigger fish on the small streams than I do on the big limestoners. My biggest 3 wild fish of the year all came on streams no more than 10-15 feet wide, and I've caught my share on Spring and Penns this year. On a day in February, on the very stream I took everyone to this year, I pulled out 4 browns interspersed with the brookies. Not a great number, but for February, it's probably more than I'd have caught on Penns. And one of them was big.

Heck, this last week, we fished a fairly small freestone stream one afternoon. 4 of us, we collectively got a number of wild brookies + exactly 4 browns total, each of us got one. They measured 18", 16", 14", and 12", all most definitely wild, the middle 2 actually came on dries. On Penns and Spring, my fish tend to top out around 14", and the vast majority are more like 10". Only once in my life did I break 18" on those streams.

Posted on: 2010/6/1 15:11

From Patterson twp, Pa (Beaver Falls)
Just jumping in here, but I know jrcll has his camp up near coudersport and he knows the fishing up there pretty well. But if you guys want to have a JAM in beaver county, I know plenty of chub streams in the area................

Count my vote for Quiet Oaks if HACG falls through.

Posted on: 2010/6/1 15:50

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 7 ... 11 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com