Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 ... 11 »

Re: Next Year's Jam Location !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

From harlansburg
LOL, just thought of this, maybe we can have it at one of donnie beavers places !!LOL
just kidding!!!

Posted on: 2010/5/28 17:33

From Monessen, PA
We didn't raise that much money. But... speaking of taking one for the team, if we all agree to stop badmouthing him on the board, he may let us hang out there for free.

Posted on: 2010/5/28 19:04

From Delaware Co.
HI RUDY

Posted on: 2010/5/28 20:24

From Ephrata,PA
Stone Valley Rec Center (schaever's Creek) has cabins and lodges. Just a thought. It's not a State Park.

Posted on: 2010/5/28 21:53

From New Castle, PA
Quote:
LOL, just thought of this, maybe we can have it at one of donnie beavers places !!LOL

Don't laugh, I would bet that you could find a landowner along Spruce who would pimp the stream for a few days. Might even dump some fresh stockers in too if the price is right!!

Kev

Posted on: 2010/5/29 1:27

From Lehigh Valley
Holy cow - I musta missed the "fireworks". If things don't work out with Rudy, I have a pretty cool place to suggest. It's Quiet Oaks campground up in Cross Fork.

http://www.quietoaks.org/

Oddly enough, I left there to go to the Jam. I stay up there for a week every year. The place is absolutely huge, as you can see from the pictures. There's only a few cabins, but tent space should be plentiful. I'll bet that we could rent a big canopy, and set it up on the far side of the campground. There's lots of benches up at the campground pavillion, but that's a bit close to have a knock down/drag out Jam session. They'd probably take the benches down for us to use, and as far away from the rest of the campground as the lower property is, we could have Woodstock III there, and not bother anyone.

The owners of Quiet Oaks, Dave & Carla Flack, are fly fishers, also. If anyone thinks this might be a good place to hold a Jam, I'd be happy to call Carla and run this all by her. My guess is that they'd love to accomodate us.

FWIW, Kettle creek is on one side of the mountain, Young Womans Creek is on the other. There's countless brookie streams close by as well. Pine Creek is about 45 minutes away, and Slate Run and Cedar Run are a bit closer.

Posted on: 2010/5/29 6:38

From Gettysburg
Ed,
Sounds like you may have found a hot spot. I'd vote for that.
I'll look around for a potential spot in the Cumberland Valley.

Posted on: 2010/5/29 7:05

From harlansburg
sounds like a cool place!
the pics wouldn't load on my puter though.

Posted on: 2010/5/29 8:05

From Monessen, PA
Ed, Quiet Oaks has been in my internet favorites for a couple years, but I never called them.

We need the gathering spot to allow a fire. We can rent an electric/water campsite if needed for coffee. The gathering area should accomodate about 50 or so and the owner should understand we will be up late and there may be some noise. Find a date where ALL or nearly all of the cabins are open. Tell them we would welcome any of the other campers to join us at our campfire.

Posted on: 2010/5/29 8:14

From pittsburgh
id put in a vote to quiet oaks

Posted on: 2010/5/29 8:22

-me

From Lehigh Valley
There has GOT to be some Divine intervention going on here.

I just got off the phone with Carla at Quiet Oaks, and they would LOVE to be the host for the 2011 PAFF Jamboree! They are well equipped to handle 50 to 75 people, NO SWEAT. More is no problem, either. They've hosted groups up to 850 people. Ours is easy for them.

Here's what they'll do for us:

On the weekend of May 20,21,22.......

2 - 10 X 20 canopies, and a 10 X 30 canopy if needed.

All the benches and picnic tables, (polyurethane covered) we need.

Fire ring - no problem. We can have a bonfire if we want (two actually). Wood is up to us, they'll provide the pits/ring.

We can drink all we want. They'll provide garbage cans and recycling cans.

While they prefer canned beer, they'll make a 4 keg tap cooler available to us. Under the canopies. (KEGS NOT INCLUDED)

Up late/noise? No problem at all.

They'll provide porta potties (several - at the canopies), and hand washing stations.

All of the above is FREE, and they'll have it set up for us.

The tent sites are close to the canopies - 15 amp electric tent sites are $17/night. Primitive sites, located up the hill in the pines are $14/night. Cabins are first come first served (by reservation), best weekend of availability is May 20,21,22. Forget the White Oak cabin - it's MINE. Cabin rates are on their website. I pay $50 a night for two people - additional person is $10 a night.

Showers for visitors are $4. Water is available at the bath house, but my cabin is closer...

Dave and Carla would also have the pavillion open for breakfast on Saturday and Sunday morning. They can easily feed the whole crew. I didn't get the cost per, but I'm guessing it's reasonable.

Just say the word, Jack, and I'll call them back to write it in stone.

H.A.

Posted on: 2010/5/29 10:01

From Delaware Co.
Sounds like a good spot Ed but what are the fishing hot spots in the area

Posted on: 2010/5/29 10:24

From Pittsburgh
Wow - even though we'd be mostly catching stocked fish up there, that's an offer that's pretty hard to refuse.
FWIW, we would likely see green drakes hatching on kettle creek that weekend - even in a normally timed hatching year

Posted on: 2010/5/29 10:28

From Lehigh Valley
Kettle is mostly stocked fish, but there are wild fish up above Oleona. Slate Run and Cedar Run are 1/2 hour away according to Map Quest, and there's also Cross Fork and Hammersley Fork. I went up to Sandfly's place last week, and it took me about 40 minutes to get to Ansonia. Spring Creek is about an hour away, as is Penns and Fishing Creek. Sinnemahoning, First Fork.....

Posted on: 2010/5/29 10:44

From SEPA
A temporary change in venue is good for the regulars, and good for the campgrounds. New people can see what extra we bring in, and former ones might see how much they lose.

Bounce around to a few places and you might suddenly find the campgrounds competeing for US, instead of the other way around. Not saying they'll throw payola this way, but the offer of incentives to stay on their grounds in reduced rates, etc, might be forthcoming.

Or, PAFF will just annoy more camp grounds. Famous, or infamous... Either works, eh? ;)

Posted on: 2010/5/29 12:09

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 ... 11 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes 52% (85)
No 47% (78)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/8/22 12:38
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com