Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 7 »

Re: Newbie Brookie Expedition/Jam?

From Phoenixville Pa
I'd like to come out for this but it dePends on where and when. I'll ask the wife about 10-6 but if it's up in state college I won't be Abe to make it. A Pocono stream is probably the farthest I can go (2hrs outside of western Philly burbs).

Posted on: 2012/7/31 21:50

From Albrightsville, PA
Quote:

paparise wrote:
I'd like to come out for this but it dePends on where and when. I'll ask the wife about 10-6 but if it's up in state college I won't be Abe to make it. A Pocono stream is probably the farthest I can go (2hrs outside of western Philly burbs).

I need to square away with Shane the location, but I'd say 10/6 is the target. I agree with you on the state college area - even for me here in the Poconos it's a 2 1/2 hour ride and I am not sure that's the best location for a newbie outing if only because the distance some would have to come.

Posted on: 2012/7/31 22:01

From LV
Oct is a bad time for brookies fishing if the trout are spawning, you won't catch them, on the flip side early enough in Oct. and the brookies will be chowing down before the spawn.

Posted on: 2012/8/1 10:00

From Albrightsville, PA
Quote:

Chaz wrote:
Oct is a bad time for brookies fishing if the trout are spawning, you won't catch them, on the flip side early enough in Oct. and the brookies will be chowing down before the spawn.

Chaz, thanks for pointing that out. Certainly something to consider but we've targeted October 6th for the fall edition of this Jam. That should be early enough, if not there are plenty of brown trout waters we can fish. Think you will make this one?

Also, we posted a separate thread for this specific event.

Posted on: 2012/8/1 11:57

From South Lebanon Township, PA
Yeah...between my September schedule, the then upcoming spawn, and the interest in the "Pocono Newbie Jam - Fall Edition" on Oct. 6 seeming pretty high, I say let's shelve the "Brookie Newbie Jam" idea until next Spring. I'd definitely like to do it though...tentative target timeframe of early June with a venue in NC PA. Figure to make it a one night overnight type of deal...Saturday into a Sunday.

I'll revive the thread in February/March or so and we can get planning.

Thanks for the responses and discussion guys.

Posted on: 2012/8/1 12:54

From Along the Lehigh Above the Gap
Swattie, I hope you consider going to the "Fall Ball". The though is we can have a couple groups spread out. One or two go brookie fishing and another one or two follow me and a special guest I am working on.

Posted on: 2012/8/1 13:04

http://bugflingerandfeatherlasher.blogspot.com/

From Albrightsville, PA
All,
I can't make the last weekend in September, but anything after is good. We can go 1st week of October, 2nd week. Whichever maximizes the attendance. Maybe we ought to take a vote.

As for brookie fishing - we can forego that. There are plenty of waters in the Poconos with wild browns and in the Poho's case, fingerling reared Rainbows of decent size. Plenty of room to spread out.

Theres also Buckwa, Hunter, and parts of the Aquishacola all within a few minutes drive. Two of these streams don't have brookies, the latter I am not sure, but suspect there are plenty of browns.

Geez, hope this isn't spot burning.

In any case if we want exclusive brookie fishing than I second Chaz's post on waiting until Spring (2013) to have an NC Newbie Jam as he is correct in saying there are literally hundreds of brook trout streams in that area and plenty of room to spread out.

As an afterthough maybe we could in the future (2013) try to plan a rotating format of locale/season (Spring, Summer, Fall and Winter (early)) making it a quarterly event.

Any case , let me know what works best so that Shane (Big Water) Becker and I can get this all figured out.

Chaz, any input you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Posted on: 2012/8/1 13:56

From chester county
I'd definitely be interested in a brookie jam if it is in the state college area, for obvious reasons, but I don't want to sway the group as I likely wouldn't be able to make it anyway. Super busy year coming up for me. I do think it's a fantastic idea though, and if you should end up having it in SC, I could suggest a few streams although probably none that Pat isn't aware of.

Posted on: 2012/8/1 14:12

Please just promise that after you do this trip, especially if you stumble upon some good wild trout streams that not everyone knows about that hold decent sized fish, you will post detailed stream reports complete with plenty of pictures, directions to parking areas, detailed trail maps, and GPS coordinates of all the honey holes.

Posted on: 2012/8/1 15:31

From South Lebanon Township, PA
Quote:

GreenWeenie wrote:
Please just promise that after you do this trip, especially if you stumble upon some good wild trout streams that not everyone knows about that hold decent sized fish, you will post detailed stream reports complete with plenty of pictures, directions to parking areas, detailed trail maps, and GPS coordinates of all the honey holes.

Unbelievable.

Mods - Any chance of a delete on this?...before this well intentioned thread gets destroyed.

GW - PM coming.

Posted on: 2012/8/1 15:40

From Albrightsville, PA
Quote:

Swattie87 wrote:
Quote:

GreenWeenie wrote:

Unbelievable.

Mods - Any chance of a delete on this?...before this well intentioned thread gets destroyed.

GW - PM coming.

That post sounds a just bit too sarcastic to be taken too seriously. Probably some wize-$#! just trying to stir the pot. Ignore them enough and they'll scurry away.

Posted on: 2012/8/3 16:22

yes, I am going to scrurry away just like a salamander.

Posted on: 2012/8/3 21:48

From LV
I didn't say anything about doing a brookie outing in the Spring. I just said that you have to be careful you don't get into the spawn.

Posted on: 2012/8/3 22:44

From "THE VILLE"
This blows my mind. The "brooky" guys I know protect the secrecy of the spots like there 1st born sometimes even worse. I think idea of a brooky jam is hard 1 to pull off.

Posted on: 2012/8/5 0:02

Edited by PACOFRANSICO on 2012/8/5 0:21:05
in the box, for if it is evil you seek,
then it can only be conjured with the
same.”

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
I've done it at the regular jam for several years!

It's not that hard to pull off. The main requirement is that you have to utilize a lot of groups on a lot of DIFFERENT streams. 3 or 4 people per group max, including 1 "leader". Each group a different stream.

That means you have to have enough experienced guys committed to match the number of newbies, that's probably the biggest organizational challenge right there. And it means you have to pick a location where there's a lot of streams relatively close, you don't want everyone fishing hours apart. Agree, NC is the ideal location.

It's probably best done as full day, with a base camp of a campground, so people can spend a night or two if they wish. Have the big group meet in the morning to split up, plan on allowing enough time to be organized and on the road by 10 a.m. or so. Can have an evening get together as well.

Posted on: 2012/8/5 18:52

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 7 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes 52% (85)
No 47% (78)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/8/22 12:38
2 Comments

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com