HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 ... 7 »

Re: Jam "stories"

From Delaware Co.
Quote:

jdaddy wrote:
Five nights n icu , four pints of blood, two flat line crashes, couple surgeries, $8500 out of pocket deductible, and a few days on a dilaudid drip.

20 or so individual texts and calls from fly fishing friends from the jam, priceless.

Gag gifts sent to catholic hospital, hilarious.

Glad to see your in good spirits about it wasn't the same without ya

Posted on: 2012/5/20 21:44

After many years of attending the Jam, I can honestly say this year's was the driest I've ever seen (and I don't mean "lack of booze" dry ).
Thursday night Matt Boyer and I fished Spring. We each caught a few.
Friday found me fishing with Matt Boyer, Tom G, and Gfen on Spring. Pretty sure we each caught a few.
Saturday evening was spent on Spring fishing with, well, darn near everybody, including Matt Boyer, Tom, Gfen, Turkey, and Jack.
Did I mention we fished the same pool each night? Almost all of us caught fish.
Almost fished with ryguyfi and groove. Almost. Next year for sure guys.
Of course the fire ring gathering each night was epic. Got to meet some new friends, caught up with old ones, and spent some time thinking about the ones that couldn't make it. Strangely enough, I too had to drive almost 2 hours to meet the members that live within 30 mins of home (Glad to have met you Swattie and Sasquatch, sorry I didn't get a chance to introduce myself to Sal, but by the time I got around to it, he was very deep in conversaion with Allby who was very deep in conversation with Elijah ).

You know, sitting here in the now quiet campground, it's rather clear to me that the Jam isn't as much about the fishing as it is about meeting face to face with the personas we interact with daily. Those avatars become people. Good people. People we can now call friends.

peace-tony c.

Posted on: 2012/5/20 22:22

From Gettysburg
Had a blast - as usual. Good to see you guys again.
The fishing gods weren't great to me this weekend but who cares? Hit some local creeks with Goodfortune on Friday evening. Had some luck but nothing great. Nice talk by Troutbert in the evening.

Spent most of Saturday on Fishing Creek in the narrows with Afishinado and Fredrick. Spent much of the time painting - when I wet a line I couldn't buy a strike. Tom and Fred had a bit better luck - the catch of the day was a 12" wild brookie that Tom caught. There were sparse bugs but we didn't see a single rise. I headed south and had some luck in the early evening on a favorite local Class A although there was no bug activity and I didn't wait till evening to see if it would change. I did have an unusual experience I've never seen before: a nice 15" brown I hooked tail walked towards me and as I was stripping madly to take up the slack.... he literally jumped from the water and bounced right off my chest fly box! Evening events were - in short - awesome! Thanks guys for all the help and support with the raffle.

On Sunday morning I headed out early and hit Penns above Coburn: some bugs in the air but no risers; water was a decent level but still muddy. I tried black streamers and nymphing but nothing was interested. Good to see Old Lefty, although hobbled, can still cast. In the afternoon I hit Fishermen's Paradise with Fredrick but I caught the skunk there too despite crawling on the shady far side where I usually can catch fish. Not too crowded - most of the cars were hikers going up to the canyon. Stopped at the Juniata River and made a few casts on the way home.
Tired and happy.
Pics posted in the Photos forum.

(Get well soon Jdad).

Posted on: 2012/5/20 22:29

From South Lebanon Township, PA
Had a bit of a novel typed out, but lost it when I clicked on the "back button" by mistake...got lazy and didn't type it in Word first. Anyway, an abbreviated version.

Had a great time at my first Jam...best part was definitely meeting and talking fishing with so many guys who were just stream names before...pcray, Sal, Squatch, tonyc, Boyer, Delta, csoult, FI, Maurice, goofortune and I'm sure I've missed many more. Also got the chance to hang out and talk about some of my local waters with troutbert...pretty cool.

The fishing was secondary to the company, but that was pretty darn good too. Caught plenty of freestoner Browns and Brooks, and got to pick up a few Sulphur risers on Saturday evening on Spring. I don't get to do that kind of fishing very much, so I thoroughly enjoyed that.

Finally got the chance to fish with pcray...it took the Jam to finally get our schedules to sync up, but we ended up with a pretty nice day of fishing. pcray got Wiss on his first native Brookie...thanks for showing us around a few of your "grad school streams." Also took the Jam to get a bunch of us Leb/Lanc local guys in the same place at the same time...Sal/Squatch/tonyc/Boyer we'll need to work on that in the future.

It's funny how so many of the differences on the day to day forum happenings fade away when you get a bunch of us together. Thanks to all who put in the effort in organizing these things and running the site. Again, had an absolute blast.

A few of my better pics are in the photos section.

Posted on: 2012/5/20 23:51

Webmaster
Thanks all I had a great time. I think David Weaver summed it up for me. I was a bit of a light weight and missed all the late night fun.

I did enjoy hanging with the crew at Spring Creek on Saturday. More like a fly fishing tailgater waiting for the evening hatch. Ryguyfi then proceed to put on a clinic for groove790 and myself upstream.

More from me on a blog post. So keep the stories and photo coming.

Thanks All!!

Dave

Attach file:

jpg  DSC_7163.jpg (105.88 KB)
1_4fba203b88c08.jpg 428X640 px

Posted on: 2012/5/21 7:00

From harlansburg
great weekend! always good to see old friends and meet new ones. the fish are a nice bonus.

Posted on: 2012/5/21 7:23

From Westmoreland County (near fairgrounds)
Thanks to all attendees for sharing the weekend with me I had a wonderful time meeting and re-connecting with you! Bruno, Charley, and Brian were excellent roommates as always. It was great to see David make a surprise appearance Friday evening.

Thanks to Harman's Cabins for my raffle prize. My wife is looking forward to enjoying the deluxe accommodations with me.

I very much enjoyed meeting Sal for the first time. I'm afraid Sasquatch and I will have to re-hash our theological discussion as, inexplicably, I seem to have forgotten most of the conversation...

Posted on: 2012/5/21 7:33

too bad I needed to run back saturday am, but great to see people 'round state college fri night. thanks to all, was a good road trip and I even lucked into some fine new brookie water on the way back to philly.

Attach file:

jpg  7230302486_26c2f92be5.jpg (220.58 KB)
2769_4fba4b52b0c52.jpg 500X375 px

Posted on: 2012/5/21 10:05

From South Lebanon Township, PA
Just reread my post from last night...man was I tired when I typed that. I think I walked about a total of 8 or 9 miles and fished for about 10 hours on Saturday...and then stayed up until 2:00 am at the pavilion...guess that was finally catching up with me! Had today off and slept in to almost 10:00 am...can't even remember the last time that happened.

Anyway, a couple more highlights I forgot to mention...kbob's picture above reminded me of this one...getting to talk high gradient Brookie streams with kbob. I'm a junkie for those and so's kbob, so it was fun getting to talk about those and exchange some notes.

And in my defense for the "quote of the year" so far as coined by pcray...I can only say that you folks around State College have some excellent road sign artists. It's funny what towns like Tusseyville and Ennisville can be turned into with some well placed paint strokes.

Now to clean my truck, which is actually my wife's daily driver since her commute is shorter than mine. She is not thrilled with its current state of affairs.

Posted on: 2012/5/21 10:24

Edited by Swattie87 on 2012/5/21 10:59:00

From Pine Grove
Quote:

Swattie87 wrote:
Now to clean my truck, with is actually my wife's daily driver since her commute is shorter than mine. She is not thrilled with its current state of affairs.

Haha! In the same boat and about to do the same. Had a great time at the jam and I think most of my stories should remain private to avoid incrimination. My quote of the weekend, however, involved one well know member shaking hands with Tony, at which point the guys in his car said "You touched him last, now you have to keep him." Good times!

Boyer

Posted on: 2012/5/21 10:31

From Monessen, PA
Quote:

Swattie87 wrote:
I can only say that you folks around State College have some excellent road sign artists. It's funny what towns like Tusseyville and Ennisville can be turned into with some well placed paint strokes.

You forgot "Old Fort."

I had a blast myself and enjoyed meeting new folks. I particularly enjoyed the group of singer/strummers and their eclectic selection of songs. I fished on Saturday, half-heartedly after waking up at 1 PM in a state of confusion. No one was left to fish with at that point but Gfen and Turkey and they weren't exactly pleased with their options either. I caught one trote on a wooly bugger, but did not use a bobber. The last 30 minutes of sulfurs emerging and falling yielded me a goose egg on dries.

After another late night Saturday, I just blew off fishing and spent some time with old friends before taking the excruciating 3 hour drive home.

Thanks for Dave Weaver's donation and csoult for the tying bench as well and the other sponsors that donated. Thanks to all who were well-behaved and for cleaning up after yourselves. I am pretty sure we will be welcome back again.

Posted on: 2012/5/21 10:39

From Patterson twp, Pa (Beaver Falls)
Quote:

dkile wrote:
Ryguyfi then proceed to put on a clinic for groove790 and myself upstream.

I'll try to be humble, but that was one of the best evenings of fishing I've ever had.

Greg (groove) and I showed up around 3pm to set up camp. On our way in we stopped at a very local Class A brookie stream and didn't fare so well. I caught 20 and it was a bad day there. Rumor has it that about 25 paffers fished that stream over the weekend. lol. We set up camp chatted with Bruno, heard a few stories of Charlie falling in, decided not to get directions from Alby, and headed out to Spring. We hit an easy access point and found rising fish.
Greg caught his first State College brownie that night and that was well worth the trip for us. We landed a few on sulphurs and rusty spinners, but it wasn't anything fantastic. The spinners never really hit the water. Chatted it up with a few guys that were fishing next to us and realized one was Tilt. Saw him "being lazy" and throwing 60 foot casts from the bank to rising fish.

Friday night was spent just getting caught up with good friends. It sucks that this event is only once a year and it takes the whole weekend just to attempt to talk to everyone you know. Then you meet more people and a few years into attending JAMs a whole weekend is not enough time.

Saturday we spend most of the morning around the coffee crowd. However there was no coffee. Luckily the campground had some they graciously gave us and the day was saved. Caught up with a lot of people and decided to hit Spring around 1pm with tocar and MattBoyer and of course Greg. We worked but had no results. I had a decent fish slash my streamer but that was it. Blue bird skies prob had something to do with it. Also saw some browns in a swampy off chute of Spring that was quite surprising.

We hung it up early that afternoon and headed to Paradise. Met up with Dkile, Maurice, Maurice's brother and a few other paffers. We cooked out some monster hot dogs (thanks Tony) and just chilled for a while. That was one of my favorite non fishing times of the weekend.

We then headed out fishing. I get antsy when it's time to fish and wanted to head out. So Greg, Dave Kile and I were the only ones ready so we just started walking up the trail. We came to a nice spot eventually and hit the stream. I had some instant success on a parachute sulphur. I then saw a large log jam with a calm eddy behind it and spotted 2 monster trout and many others. I used some small stream tactics and tossed my fly in the eddy and kept almost all of my line and leader off the water. I hooked up 3 fish and missed a few more in there. Saw 2 fish in the 18-20" class with their heads burried in the log jam but couldn't turn them. I then hit a few areas down from there and most takes were within 2-5 feet of the bank. I saw a spot I didn't really cast to yet and made it count. I saw a wake from about 5 feet out and a monster brown smashed my sulphur. I instantly yelled "BIG FISH" and the fight was on. I fought him for a good 3-4 minutes and Dave Kile got a bunch of pictures. Then we realized Greg lost his net and I tried to get the fish to turn upstream of me so I could have a chance to beach him. Never got him to turn and he eventually tossed the hook about 10 feet downstream of me. Total disappointment but was an absolute blast to hook him up and fight him. Soon afterwards the spinners started congregating and I landed a few more on rusty spinners before they shut off. It was a blast and was lucky enough to share it with Greg and Dave.

Saturday night seemed like organized chaos. Sat and watched FishIdiot do his painting as is par for the course, and caught up with a bunch of friends. Saw this large creature in the middle of the pavilion and knew instantly it was a Sasquatch. Didn't get much talking time in there though... next year. Bought some tickets for the raffle and missed the painting by 1 number. Heard we raised almost $600 for the youth camp, so that is AWESOME!

I headed to bed at about 1 and woke up several times throughout the night and the whole weekend to several people cutting down the forest behind me. We chatted by the coffee pot again and headed out to a few spots to reluctantly get our only skunking of the weekend. Got home to see the family and it was all over in a flash.

This board and the people who make it up are a fantastic group. I've learned so much, taught some, and have made life long friendships.

Hats off to PAFF!

Ryan

Posted on: 2012/5/21 10:40

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
Quote:
Quote:
It's funny what towns like Tusseyville and Ennisville can be turned into with some well placed paint strokes.

You forgot "Old Fort."

My favorite is PENN'S CAVE. White tape over choice parts of the second N.

Pleasant Gap is a little funny too, and doesn't even need any adjustment.

Posted on: 2012/5/21 10:58

From NE OH
Here is a photo of Fishidiot's painting (for those of you who did not get to see it). That's the best I could do with my cell phone. It is happily in it's permanent place on my office. It was just awsome to watch over his shoulder while he painted this thing.

Attach file:

jpg  IMAG0531.jpg (164.48 KB)
3679_4fba58f2ce405.jpg 924X729 px

Posted on: 2012/5/21 11:03

From Patterson twp, Pa (Beaver Falls)
Almost forgot....

Watching Delta Dog tie his sulphurs on Saturday morning was quite entertaining. Picked up a few tips from him. He ties a great fly!

Posted on: 2012/5/21 11:15

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 ... 7 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com