Help Stock The Yough!

G

grobe33

My buddy Mike wanted me to post this on the forum:

Nemacolin Woodlands Resort is putting on a fundraiser Sporting Clays Event to stock additional Fingerling trout in the Yough. We are going to be using the proceeds to purchase 7-10 inch Rainbow and Brown trout to stock in the Trophy Trout section. We are hoping that these fish will have a better survival rate than the normal 2-5 inch fingerlings the state stocks annually. As we all know the Yough is already an outstanding fishery, and hopefully over time we can continue to improve on what is already there. This is just the first step we are trying to take, we will be making this an annual event and hopefully be adding a few more fundraisers throughout the year. We will also being holding a silent auction and raffle prizes… The more exposure we can get for this event the more money we can raise to keep the Yough moving in the right direction…

IMG_0477.jpg

An interesting idea, but I'd personally refrain from calling 7-10" rainbows 'fingerlings.' I've long been a fan of the 2-5" class being stocked, but I've never hit the Yough. Most of the streams I fish would probably call these stocked trout finger-lickings

Thanks Grobe. I enjoy your blog. Keep us posted. I might consider attending this if weren't on my wife's birthday...

The Chestnut Ridge Trout Unlimited Nursery annually stocks 10,000 trout in addition to the state's allocation of fingerlings. Have you guys contacted CRTU? The organization has been working in the watershed since the 90's. Seems like you might want to coordinate your efforts as there are many water quality challenges which need addressed, more so than stocking fish.

Your right they made a mistake on the Flyer, those fish would be yearling trout.

The other organization that stocks 10,000 fish??? I'm assuming you mean just the 1 mile section from the dam down to the Cassleman and LH??? I would say 70% of those fish get killed by meat hunters, it would be nice if they spread those fish out. The stocking needs to occur in the TT water.

Not sure what you mean by water quality?? The Yough has some of the healthiest/fattest fish in the state hands down. In order for that to happen the bug life and water quality must be really good......and it is.

Anyway like I said above I just wanted to get the word out in case anyone wanted to attend, we can start another topic in regards to how to manage the Yough properly

Albatross,

I always wonder if people from this board still look at my blog....glad your still following! I stopped posting on here a while ago for different reasons, but when my buddy wanted to get the word out about his shoot I figured there would be no better place then this forum.

I worked with chapter for over 11 years. They float stock the Yough and have access to the bike trail through DCNR. A lot of the larger fish caught below Ramcat Run are a result of the nursery stocking.The majority of trout stocked by the chapter are in the Trophy Section. CRTU works with PAFBC and the Corps of Engineers on projects related with the river.

Many of the Yough's tributaries are impacted with acid mine drainage including Meadow Run, the Cassleman and Ramcat Run. There is a river's conservation plan for the middle Yough because of a fish kill event in the 90's. Now didymo threatens the Yough. I would say there are major water quality issues. The macros are still depressed and the water is rather infertile. pH is often in the lower 6's, not optimum conditions. Development by Seven Springs and others has greatly reduced the water table and has lead to significant warming of Laurel Hill Creek which enters the river near Confluence.There is a lot to be done. Just because you aren't aware of these issues doesn't mean they aren't there.

I have posted several times on this site as well others to drum up volunteers to assist with the Nursery. I have personally contacted some of the outfitters that guide on the Yough and got minimal response or interest in assisting with float stocking.

The fish raised at the cages at the outflow are better acclimated to the conditions of the river. Frankly, i think the fingerling program has a minimal effect after you examine the numbers of fish stocked to those caught as adults. I would be in favor of a study similar to that performed on the Little Juniata which demonstrated fingerling stocking did little to improve the overall trout fishing in the river.

Just seems to be me instead of reinventing the wheel, why not work with those that have a presence and a history of doing good things for the Yough?

albud1962 wrote:

Just seems to be me instead of reinventing the wheel, why not work with those that have a presence and a history of doing good things for the Yough?

Albud, everyone has their own agenda for a waterway. This should not surprise you. Do what you do from your perspective and be proud. Those that are trying to help in their own way should be left alone. This will not harm the fishery, and it could help. I am certain that the Musky that inhabit that river enjoy the fingerling meals they regularly are served.

Albud,

I'm not trying to start an internet shoving match here because I despise them, so don't take this as an attack: what follows isn't directed at all towards you, but rather at those who may have seen your post and been influenced by what it contained.

And let me also say that I do appreciate the work that CRTU does in the Yough watershed—by no means is it my intent to belittle that effort in any way. I've actually worked with your chapter a few times when I and my partner organized float stockings with fish from your hatchery.

That being said, I do wish folks would be a little more circumspect with respect to perceived problems the river may or may not have and realize that public opinion is one of the weightiest factors in protecting a stream or river or helping that stream or river develop into something better than it currently is.

With respect to whether the river is infertile, while it is true that the river and its tributaries do have their issues at times, a quick glance at the PH readings at Confluence from June 1 through today--arguably the area of most concern given its proximity to the lake—will show you that the PH values never dipped below 6.5 with the average value being right around 7. Lastly, a recent comprehensive study--2012--by Youghiogheny River Keeper documents PH readings throughout the entirety of the watershed ranging from 6.8 to 8.3. So the river is rarely, if ever—and certainly not “often in the lower 6s”.

Bug life on the river continues to improve. Just last night I rowed someone down the river through thousands of spinners of varying species while he threw dry flies to fat, happy rainbows conditioned to enjoying that evening meal. And anyone who has spent any time at all on the river over the past few years can tell you that hatches are improving dramatically.

With respect to thermal issues, sure, the Casselman and Laurel Hill add some warm water to the river, and in an ideal world, we could fix that, but, honestly, that isn’t happening. Looking at the bright side though, during the period when those two waterways are at their warmest, they are also at their lowest volume, meaning they add little to the volume of the river on average, and thus only marginally affect the temperatures on the main river. Again, looking at the river on average throughout the same period mentioned above, water temperatures at the Confluence gauge this season never reached 70. Of course, in other, drier and warmer years, afternoon temperatures down towards Ohiopyle will reach 70, but there are plenty of deep, highly oxygenated riffles, spring seeps, and small tributaries that serve as refuge areas, and the fish do just fine provided people aren’t out there beating them up.

Really, the biggest thermal issue on the Middle Yough occurs every September as water temperatures from the dam reach 70 for a typical period of three weeks. But again, there are refuges to be had, and a little responsible angling is all that’s needed to remedy that problem.

Lastly, I think that fish kill occurred in 92? Without some investigation, I'm not sure on the exact year, but it was early 90s. So it was at least 20 years ago. One thing is certain, that kill was the result of a mine blowout on the Casselman River, and thankfully, that problem has been remedied.

Does the river have its issue? Certainly. Show me a watershed that doesn’t.

But the past few years have shown those who call the river home and those who've visited the river on one of our guide trips just how good it is, and how good it could be.

Al, this part is directed at you:

As I mentioned above, for three years running I organized float stockings on the river with our boats and your fish that were, by and large, successful. The third year I enlisted some help from one of the other outfitters as well, and the only reason these stockings didn’t keep happening was because after repeated attempts at contacting your guys, nobody responded.

LHGS is has been and continues to be willing to have our guides work with CRTU on float stockings. With a little bit of notice, we can currently contribute 8 boats to a float stocking, and I’d be happy to take the reins on enlisting help from the other outfitters—I’m sure they’d be happy to contribute as well.

My contact information, and Jimmy’s, is available on our website:

www.laurelhighlandsguideservices.com

One final thing: we all have a common interest here--a great trout fishery on the Middle Yough. And pursing multiple avenues to make that happen is the best way to meet that goal. There is no reason whatsoever that CRTU shouldn't take part in getting the word out to help make this fundraiser a success. Just like there is no reason whatsoever that LHGS or any other outfitter that benefits from the river and the work CRTU does shouldn't lend a hand in those stockings.

There is no doubt that a multiple pronged offense and defense of this fantastic stream will inevitably contribute to aiding the Yough to be the best it can be. No perceived solutions are perfect, but the point is to keep trying.
I'd like to point out something else, that in this crazy world i think needs promoted.

This helping effort was conceived, planned, and acted upon by a group of very young men, on their own, that will benefit the entire river community - at no gain for the most part, and considerable personal time. These are the actions of people who care. Great organizations like Trout Unlimited not only are filled with similar people, but were actually started by go-getters of like mind.

You guys are all rowing in the same direction, just in different boats.

A Yough with friends like all of you is a lucky river.

Concerning the fingerlings - If you've fished the river on a regular basis for more than five years, you already understand the value of the slightly larger plants. What in my mind was stumbled upon by happenstance a couple years ago with the late fall stockings, is like finding plutonium by accident. Another six months of hatchery life is not going to account for much a year and a half of river life later. Until the damn Fish Commission realizes protecting more of these fish, for a little longer is better for everyone, except the very few who harvest very many - the larger plants are there to supplement the angling experience, and maintain it at a faster rate than would be possible with a million smaller stockers.

First, let me say that my post was from my perspective and experience in dealing with the nursery. My opinions are my own.

My response was mainly directed towards grobe33 and he has since sent me a PM. I just found it a little disheartening that there is work ongoing which was seemingly being overlooked and discounted by his post. CRTU doesn't provide fish strictly for the "meat hunters".

I am not opposed to additional stocking or efforts by other organizations , but I will point out that there is a substantial source of fish essentially provided at no cost by PA FBC. With some attention, support and volunteers, the nursery is already there for this purpose.

YoughRiverGuide, I am not sure who you reached out to but Scott Hoffman the chapter president is very involved and in my experience responds quickly when contacted. I will PM his email address. There was a problem with the nursery this spring so that's why CRTU didn't stock. Vandalism is an issue and the chapter is trying to resolve this.

I am aware of Laurel Highlands contribution to the float stocking for which I am grateful.

I wish this effort the best of luck. Surely more fish is a good thing on a river with little or no reproduction. It is important to understand though that the reason fingerlings are stocked over adult fish in many cases is because fingerlings have a greater propensity to get on natural forage because they fed for less time on fish meal. 3-7% survival of 100,000 fingerlings may seem small but if far greater than than the survival of 10,000 7-10" trout. Even at 25% results in fewer than the fingerling survival rate. And I would bet that keeping these fish to the longer size makes them more expensive for the survival numbers.

Thats why the F&BC stocks fingerlings in a put grow and take scenario. So you will likely see a good season of catch rates and then a bust the year after. Although the size is marginally larger than fingerlings and likelyhood of survival better than if 12-16" trout were stocked.

I agree with Albuds recommendation for the effort to coordinate the stocking with those already in the watershed doing similar efforts. That way you are not putting fish over fish or putting fish where fish are to be put soon, "stepping on toes". Its only courteous.

But in the end this post is about a trap shoot to help stock the river so have at it, have fun and let the chips fall where they may.

Carry on.

grobe33 wrote:
I always wonder if people from this board still look at my blog....glad your still following!

I check your blog out regularly Grobe. Good luck with the fundraiser. It's been too long since I fished the Yough. Love it.

Surplus Trout Stocked in Kinzua and Youghiogheny Waters
August 13, 2010
spacer
Harrisburg, PA - Anglers fishing the Kinzua and Youghiogheny tailraces should find plenty of trout to keep them busy this fall. The Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission (PFBC) recently released yearling trout (6-9 inches) in the tailraces from their Pleasant Gap State Fish Hatchery. These fish are intermediate in size compared to a typical fingerling, which are stocked at less than the statewide minimum legal size of 7 inches, and to a typical adult trout, which are stocked at approximately 10-11 inches.

“These fish were surplus to the production goals of the Pleasant Gap facility and have been stocked in these tailraces to grow and become available to the anglers fishing these waters,” said Brian Wisner, chief of the PFBC’s Division of Fish Production. “The stockings offer a great opportunity for families to get outside this fall and enjoy the fishing at two very popular waters.”

In Warren County, the PFBC stocked rainbow trout in section 7 of the Allegheny River from the Kinzua Dam downstream to the confluence of Conewango Creek.

In Fayette County, the PFBC stocked brown and rainbow trout in sections 2 and 3 of the Youghiogheny River from the mouth of Casselman River downstream to the mouth of Ramcat Run and from the mouth of Ramcat Run downstream to State Route 0381.

To locate these stream sections and other great fishing destinations, click on the “County Guides” section of the PFBC website at www.fishandboat.com. Each year, trout fingerlings are stocked throughout the Commonwealth as part of the Put-Grow-Take program. Information on all PFBC fingerling trout stockings is available at the following link: http://fishandboat.com/stock_fingerling.htm.

The mission of the Fish and Boat Commission is to protect, conserve, and enhance the Commonwealth’s aquatic resources and provide fishing and boating opportunities. For more information about fishing and boating in Pennsylvania, please visit our website at www.fishandboat.com.

This is when the Yough really turned the corner...

Yes it is......and that is why we are doing the shoot, anyone that has fished the Yough since that stocking knows we have a blueprint to make the fishery better. And hopefully those who have Yough Fever will help us out and attend the event!

Grobe,

I'd be more likely to send a $40 donation via paypal than to attend a $125 event at Nemacolin that will net your effort $40. See if you can get something like this going and we'll crowd source the Yough.

Albatross,

I am working with the resort right now to set this up, once it is ready to roll I will post the link on here so people can donate that way if they would like.

Just sayin' why not donate to CRTU? They are both stocking trout.

JackM,

A small group of like minded people that love to fish the TT water on the Yough decided to get together and come up with plan to help out the river. The state accidentally stumbled upon a great way to manage this fishery 3 years ago by stocking 17,000 7-9 fish. It has been 3 years since that stocking and we are concerned that the fish counts will start to decline if we do nothing about it. Let me emphasize that we are only talking about the 9 mile TT water from Ramcat down to Ohiopyle. The Yough isn't a wild trout fishery, putting in 2-4 inch fingerlings does not work out well on this river, if it did I'm sure it would of been written about by a Fly Fishing Publication by now. Our belief is that the 7-9 fish had a much better survival rate then the little guys and it increased fish numbers drastically. So we are running with this belief. We hope others will join us in our efforts in doing this. This has all come together very quickly and we are learning as we go. We have great admiration for CRTU and know they do great things for our waterways in the area. We hope they back us in our efforts and we hope to combine our efforts to make something great happen. WE ARE NOT asking for people to donate to us instead of CRTU. We are asking people that love the Middle Yough and believe in our idea too help us out. It has been 3 years and the same strategies are in place, to our knowledge, no other organization was moving on an idea like this, so we are taking action and hope to build good relationships along the way.

So if you like to shoot, win fly-fishing rods and swag we hope you join us on October 27th at the Shooting Academy at Nemacolin Woodlands Resort. If you would like to just send a donation I am working on getting that link set up. All the donation money will go toward stocking fish in the TROPHY TROUT WATER ON THE MIDDLE YOUGH. If you want to donate to CRTU I think that is great too. I am not sure where/what your donation money does there, I'm sure all great things. But our's is a very specific fundraiser....Trophy Trout on the Middle Yough

Sorry, Grobe, you misunderstand me. And surely this is my fault. I stick to my original comment that your effort, like those of the TU section are worthy. I wish you luck, but I guess what I'm saying is this is an opportunity for Nemacolin to enbrace CRTU. If that is what this is about-- kudos! But if this is a way of saying: "we don't agree with your madness/methods," then I have a hard time deciding to support you in this civil war.

Back