Fly fishing show Somerset

L

LouM

Last week I got my brochure for the show. Chuck has raised the admission price to $18.00 for a daily admission. The show has not been as good as it was and some exhibitors, that I know, have complained about the cost of space. So what does he do raise the cost of being an exhibitor and attending.

I will not be going now or in the future.

What was the price last year?

My guess would be that having a smaller show in Lancaster has cut into attendance at the big show in Somerset. The number of attendees at Somerset had to consist of a large cohort of PA guys from center state or from Maryland. It's just easier for us to get to Lancaster.
On the other hand, the Somerset show may, in fact, be thriving and they just raised prices because they could.

There's a thread on the Lancaster show in the Events forum if you're thinking about attending this year.

Haven't been in a few years. Could one actually cast some rods and buy one or is it too much of a zoo?

There's a casting pool and you can take rods and cast them. It can be done in large crowds, but if that's your main goal, I'd try to pick a time where it's less crowded. As soon as they open in the morning, or later in the afternoon after many have filed out.

I went to the Lanc. show last year on Sunday. In the afternoon I made a great deal on a rod. Not too crowded, guy was ready to make the deal, and you could try it out with no problems.

I think it's too much, personally. Really, shouldn't it be free? We are the supporters of the industry. Why can't organizers get there income from participants of the show? And participants get their return on investment from business generated from attendees?

I swear there is an assumption that "flyfishing" equates to higher income anglers with significant disposable income. Perhaps there was a time when that was true , especially after "the movie." But not so anymore. I'd like to see any serious marketing studies on income of fly fishers today. I bet the range is much broader than it was 20 years ago.

I thought it was the same price last year, but I still think its a bargain at $18. You get to meet and learn from some of the best tiers around, the seminars are entertaining and informative, and you get to meet at talk directly with vendors. I tie at the November show in Somerset and at Lancaster, but I won't tie at the January show because I would rather enjoy it as an attendee.
Mike.

greenghost wrote:
I think it's too much, personally. Really, shouldn't it be free? We are the supporters of the industry. Why can't organizers get there income from participants of the show? And participants get their return on investment from business generated from attendees?
I swear there is an assumption that "flyfishing" equates to higher income anglers with significant disposable income.

I see your point.
I don't personally have a problem with the cost. Compare it to the cost of a 90 minute movie these days. At the fly show, you can spend several hours in seminars and listening to some of the best in the business. For me, the problem is the distance. If it weren't for the Lancaster Show, I might opt for the bus trip to Somerset.

I agree that it should be cheaper or free. The object of the show is for vendors to advertise their products. So essentially you're spending your money to give vendors the opportunity to take your money.

Seems like it depends on what you go to the show for...

If you are going to buy gear the $18 bucks seems high to be able to enter the show, browse the wares and pick up a great deal.

If you are there to mingle, talk to vendors, sit through a seminar than the $18 bucks make s a lot of sense.

I tend to be more of the first one, I want to chat a bit but am there to find a good deal on a rod or boots or something like that.

all in all, $18 bucks is not that bad.

Many guys think of fly-fishing just as fun. And it is. But do not forget that the vast majority of vendors there are little guys trying to make a living. Many post on here. They own fly shops or are rod builders or fly tyers, guides and outfitters, or writers in the business. They spend money on travel expenses to go to the show. How much can you charge for a booth? How many people at the show just walk around, but buy nothing. Most guys are in the business because they love it and not because they are raking in big bucks. Most are just about getting by.

The seminars are great! There are both tying and fishing seminars running constantly all day through the entire weekend. Shouldn't the presenters and tyers be paid for their travel and time? Do you ever go to the movies? Do you expect it to be free?

Too many free lunch guys. More and more I see guys that want to buy a used rod on ebay and look to have it guaranteed for life even if they drive over it with their truck. The same with waders and boots. With what other products do we expect such a guarantee? What is it with some fly guys? Trust me, as much as many guys think they are being ripped off by people in the FFing industry...no one, not even the big guys in the industry are racking in the cash in this business.

What would you say to your boss if he told you, "hey...work the weekend...for free or a half your wage!" I support working people and have no problem paying a fair price for a decent product or service. That's what you expect when you draw your paycheck every week, why shouldn't guys in the FFing business expect the same.

Sheesh!

I think it's well worth $18. For me, going to the show is a tradition. Some guys stay overnight at the hotel.

I have no problem with fair compensation. I have a problem with people charging me money so they have the opportunity to convince me to buy their product.
As for the seminars, most of those people have book deals, videos, and/or are guides. Hence, their fame draws a crowd for those vendors looking to sell something.

That being said, if I would go it would be for some of the seminars.

I have a problem with people charging me money so they have the opportunity to convince me to buy their product.

I'm curious, do you have cable or dish tv at your place, pay for your internet feed?

Nothing is free nor should it be. I have been to the somerset show and to be honest $18 is reasonable. If you can't afford that than maybe flyfishing isn't for you after all. Like Afish said a movie now is $12 or more. If I didn't live in NY I would go every year. Im sure there are a lot of hidden costs to run these shows.

Like the 'free' library, what you get out of Somerset is up to you. The opportunity to fondle, er handle, rods, hackle and gear; taking in as many seminars as your backside allows, casting toys, seeing friends, tiers (good, even world class ones) and celebs - beats a bunch of movies, a couple of Starbucks, a couple of cigars or packs of cancer sticks, even a few gallons of gas.

So which day(s) are folks going to be there? I guess crowds will be light Friday, deals are best (if not the selection) Sunday afternoon.

as someone who ties at these shows i have the opportunity to purchase a premium table and to be allowed to actively sell my flies.
I choose not to do it because not many folks go to these shows to buy a mounted classic fly. That said, based on what ive been told by other tyers, who have paid for premium tables, they barely break even on the cost of the table based on the flies they sell at the show. If they share a table with another tyer, they might cover half the cost of the table and make the same again, but the guy beside them might only cover his half the cost of the table and thus only break even (This does not include counting costs to get there, stay over, food etc - so the first guy, might actually break even at the show considering the cost of table, and then the other incurred costs as a consequence of attending, the second guy will be in the hole)

The other side of the coin is that i get to go to the show, tie flies i love to tie and share some knowledge and experiences with anyone who stops by to talk to me, all the while, perhaps selling a fly or two if anyone asks to buy one, and not have to pay for the table. Basically i'm providing a service to the show without any renumeration for costs - travel, overnight hotel, food etc.
Again, this is a choice I make.

Now, the organizers, they have to rent the space, set up the partitions, book the tyers, vendors and advertise and market the show for the masses, as well as cart all their equipment across country for shows on the west coast, rockies, mid west and eastern seaboard. Does your $18 for the day, provide them with a big payday at the end...i seriously doubt it.

Is $18 better spend on a few beers, a pack of smokes or some other vice you have - or is it well invested in maybe learning something new or picking up a bargain on a rod, reel, line or a good ol' time with your buddies for the day.....

in the grand scheme of things, folks want something for nothing - but as i tell my 3yo, thats not how the world works.

$18 to sit in great seminars all day, handle new equipment and speak with fishing guides and great fly tying guys...

Totally worth it.... I will be going for sure.

Of course $18 is worth it.

Don't be silly.

There are very few people getting wealthy through the business of fly fishing. Sure, a handful of individuals are, but most make a little, barely get by, or lose money.

There is a tremendous amount of work involved in putting together a gathering like The Fly Fishing Show. I'm happy to pay $18 simply for that reason alone.

Back