Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 ... 7 »

Re: Fly fishing show Somerset

From Cato, NY
Nothing is free nor should it be. I have been to the somerset show and to be honest $18 is reasonable. If you can't afford that than maybe flyfishing isn't for you after all. Like Afish said a movie now is $12 or more. If I didn't live in NY I would go every year. Im sure there are a lot of hidden costs to run these shows.

Posted on: 1/7 13:46

From chester ct
Like the 'free' library, what you get out of Somerset is up to you. The opportunity to fondle, er handle, rods, hackle and gear; taking in as many seminars as your backside allows, casting toys, seeing friends, tiers (good, even world class ones) and celebs - beats a bunch of movies, a couple of Starbucks, a couple of cigars or packs of cancer sticks, even a few gallons of gas.

So which day(s) are folks going to be there? I guess crowds will be light Friday, deals are best (if not the selection) Sunday afternoon.

Posted on: 1/7 14:02

From Philadelphia
as someone who ties at these shows i have the opportunity to purchase a premium table and to be allowed to actively sell my flies.
I choose not to do it because not many folks go to these shows to buy a mounted classic fly. That said, based on what ive been told by other tyers, who have paid for premium tables, they barely break even on the cost of the table based on the flies they sell at the show. If they share a table with another tyer, they might cover half the cost of the table and make the same again, but the guy beside them might only cover his half the cost of the table and thus only break even (This does not include counting costs to get there, stay over, food etc - so the first guy, might actually break even at the show considering the cost of table, and then the other incurred costs as a consequence of attending, the second guy will be in the hole)

The other side of the coin is that i get to go to the show, tie flies i love to tie and share some knowledge and experiences with anyone who stops by to talk to me, all the while, perhaps selling a fly or two if anyone asks to buy one, and not have to pay for the table. Basically i'm providing a service to the show without any renumeration for costs - travel, overnight hotel, food etc.
Again, this is a choice I make.

Now, the organizers, they have to rent the space, set up the partitions, book the tyers, vendors and advertise and market the show for the masses, as well as cart all their equipment across country for shows on the west coast, rockies, mid west and eastern seaboard. Does your $18 for the day, provide them with a big payday at the end...i seriously doubt it.

Is $18 better spend on a few beers, a pack of smokes or some other vice you have - or is it well invested in maybe learning something new or picking up a bargain on a rod, reel, line or a good ol' time with your buddies for the day.....

in the grand scheme of things, folks want something for nothing - but as i tell my 3yo, thats not how the world works.

Posted on: 1/7 15:43

From Lehigh Valley PA
$18 to sit in great seminars all day, handle new equipment and speak with fishing guides and great fly tying guys...

Totally worth it.... I will be going for sure.

Posted on: 1/7 16:40

From Philadelphia, PA
Of course $18 is worth it.

Don't be silly.

There are very few people getting wealthy through the business of fly fishing. Sure, a handful of individuals are, but most make a little, barely get by, or lose money.

There is a tremendous amount of work involved in putting together a gathering like The Fly Fishing Show. I'm happy to pay $18 simply for that reason alone.

Posted on: 1/7 16:52

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
Worth it? Define "worth it".

I'll cast a few rods that I won't buy just to see what they feel like. Maybe something that I don't need will be on a ridiculous sale and I'll actually buy it and never use it. I'll go watch some seminars that frankly aren't that good, and which I've probably already seen anyhow since most appear to be recycled year after year. I'll fall for some (20 flies for $10) deal, only to later find that those flies don't float or fall apart too easily. I'll buy a handful of GOOD flies from some actual tiers just cause I'm there, but they'll be of the same quality and price that your gonna get from a good reputable fly shop like FFP, and could order anytime I'd like. And I'll bring home a large bag full of pamplets and such for places that I'll never visit.

In that sense, no, not at all worth it in any logical sort of fashion.

But I'll get out of the house in the dead of winter for a day. I'll see some people from PAFF and elsewhere that I haven't seen in a while.

And if nothing else, it will get me thinking about fly fishing again, and probably spur me to make an outing in the near future afterwards.

Posted on: 1/7 16:54

From United States
By looking at the Flyer there will be alot of new faces this year. There are quite a few names missing that have been regulars. The demonstators assume alot of the cost like Eunan said. There are a number of reasons to attend. I"m going to miss seeing some of the guys.

Posted on: 1/7 16:56
I am of the opinion that there is NOT one single population of wild trout that exists in our great state worth intentionally degrading for the benefit of any fisherman or any amount of money no matter how small the population.

From Philadelphia, PA
Quote:

pcray1231 wrote:
But I'll get out of the house in the dead of winter for a day. I'll see some people from PAFF and elsewhere that I haven't seen in a while.

And if nothing else, it will get me thinking about fly fishing again, and probably spur me to make an outing in the near future afterwards.

Yep, that sounds like worth it. :)

Posted on: 1/7 17:07

Quote:

tomitrout wrote:
Quote:
I have a problem with people charging me money so they have the opportunity to convince me to buy their product.

I'm curious, do you have cable or dish tv at your place, pay for your internet feed?

Yes I have satellite and pay for internet. On my satellite I have a DVR where I record the shows I want to see and eliminate the commercials. On the internet I can block out the ads.

I'm still weighing my options for this show. If I go it would be for the reasons pcray mentioned (to hang out with friends). I wouldn't mind seeing Joe Humphreys' seminar because I've never seen it past what is on YouTube.

But for the fuel price alone I could buy three of Joe's DVD's at FFP.

Posted on: 1/7 19:23

Webmaster
I really enjoy going to the shows. It is nice to be able to catch up with a lot of people I only see at the shows. The seminars are a lot of fun. Plenty of really info on new ideas and places to go from some experts in the industry. I enjoy being able to see a lot of different gear and checking it out. I don't buy very much, but it helps me keep updated on a lot of stuff I have been reading about online.

Getting out of the house on a winter day, catching up with a few friends and learning something new is total worth it.

Here is a video recap from last year if you have never gone before.

See you there!

Posted on: 1/8 7:57

From Lambertville
In last year's thread on the show, Afish mentioned when he would be at the Orvis booth. I think a few other members did the same thing.

I think it would be a good idea if we could formulize list of what forum members will have a booth or table at the show.

Posted on: 1/8 10:18

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
Quote:
So which day(s) are folks going to be there? I guess crowds will be light Friday, deals are best (if not the selection) Sunday afternoon.

I will likely not make the final decision until the week of, and it'll be governed by family obligations and such. But, all else being equal, I'd choose Sunday.

Posted on: 1/8 10:41

From Dauphin PA
Stimey,
Hey, I'll let you hang out with me for a mere $12. That is a 33% savings! I don't know if I'm informative as guys at the show but it would be a more comical experience.

Eunan hit the nail on the head. If you could go to the show or get a mtn dew / pack-0-grits for the same price...pick your poison. If you skip the show for caffeine / nicotine fix, then you didn't want to go that bad anyway

Posted on: 1/8 10:45

From Philadelphia PA
Let's see: It will get me off the couch and out of the house...I get some well needed calorie burning footsteps and armswings in. I get to show my respects to some of the celebs of the flyfishing world. Get some photo shots with them for memories. I can purchase a few flies that I will more than likely have to put a couple of drops of glue on. All for $18.00 dollars for the day. What's the price of skiing going for now?

Let's see where can I put "Priceless" in!

Posted on: 1/8 11:00
"I am respected when I walk into any fly shop. Salespeople wait on me hand and waders. I once tried underwater casting just to see if I could. I am the most admired Fly Fisherman in the world. And when I fly-fish, I use the Orvis Access. Stay Fishing MF

From Lehigh Valley PA
Krayfish,

I'll pay you with a complimentary "sheeta pizza" on the porch!

Posted on: 1/8 11:29

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 ... 7 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes 52% (85)
No 47% (78)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/8/22 12:38
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com