Fly Tying Jam

djs12354

djs12354

Attended my first PAFF Fly Tying Jam today and had a great time catching up with PAFFer's I haven't seen face to face since the summer Fish and Chips gathering at the Little Lehigh.

As usual, it was a great time and I learned enough to make my head spin!

Since I do not yet tie, I sat with the gentlemen from a TU chapter whose name unfortunately slips my mind. Dale patiently lead me through the assembly of an inch worm (aka Green Weenie, I believe). He also demonstrated how to tie a Wooly Bugger. The time spent with him and his associates convinced me that I should give tying a try.

This is a good thing, because Ed (Heritage Angler aka ringleader) and others managed to see that I received a fly tying kit. Thanks to all involved for that! I am both appreciative and embarrassed.

Called my wife, Joy, on the way home to NEPA and found that she was out visiting her group homes. (No, I am not an escapee from one of them) So I decided to stop and fish on the way home.

I tied on the inch worm I had made earlier and, on the third drift, nailed a 16" rainbow. Nice chunky fish and my biggest landed "on the fly". I proceeded to catch three more decent sized fish before I was done.

All in all, another great day; Thanks to the people from this forum and my friend Dan (Moonbeam) who got me started Fly Fishing and keep me improving each time I get out on the water.

Nice job, Dave!

The gentleman that helped you tie that fly was Dale Steventon - he's the President of the Hokendauqua TU Chapter. This coming year is the 28th year Dale has been involved with the chapter's fly tying class, and he is indeed a gentleman.

The fly tying kit you received was donated by Bobby Clouser (Jr). He's the manager of the fly tying shop at the Harrisburg Bass Pro Shop.

Delta_Dog was the one that got the kit donated for the tying jam. He wanted the kit to go to someone just starting out in fly tying, and we both agreed it should go to you.

Make sure you save that inchworm - the memories it represents will stay with you for the rest of your life.

Enjoy!

Make sure you save that inchworm - the memories it represents will stay with you for the rest of your life.

Enjoy!

Inchworm is saved, albeit it somewhat worse for the wear it took from those trout!

Back