Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 7 »

Re: Fly Casting Competition

From United States

Posted on: 2013/6/20 11:32

From Jersey Shore, PA
Bob (sandfly), no. Lines have to be in the range of 90' long to qualify. Too bad.

Posted on: 2013/6/20 17:00

From Landenberg, PA
Dave R - I use a dinner plate for accuracy. You know you nailed it if the broken off hook end 'tings' it.

Posted on: 2013/6/20 18:20

From Tioga co. formerly of bucks co.
Dave,
I laid out a course and am not sure about the distance for the third target. is it measured from the center of first target or the obstacle target ?? if I lay it out from the first it touches the Obstacle target, which would put all three targets touching?

Posted on: 2013/6/23 9:57

So many Fish, So little time !!!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing ghillie..
https://www.facebook.com/BigMeadowsFlyShop

From Southeastern Pa
Dave, I would be interested in getting together to throw some line. let me know if you're interested.

Posted on: 2013/6/24 0:03

From Jersey Shore, PA
Sandfly, I can't answer your question. Regardless where your targets end up, the goal is to hit them so as to score the most points. So, does this mean you're going to enter the competition?

Tim Robinson, just let me know when you want to get together. Let's throw out the invitation for anyone who's interested. I'm always up for a gathering of casters.

Posted on: 2013/6/24 14:16

From Lehigh Valley
Quote:

OldLefty wrote:
Tim Robinson, just let me know when you want to get together. Let's throw out the invitation for anyone who's interested. I'm always up for a gathering of casters.

I would be up for the gathering...

I'm not sure about the comp, is there info on registering?

Posted on: 2013/6/24 16:11

From Along the Lehigh Above the Gap
Name a place and I would show up.

Posted on: 2013/6/24 16:15

http://bugflingerandfeatherlasher.blogspot.com/

From down the block from the Letort.
Having always been curious about casting comps, and mildly inspired by this thread, I tried out the course they had set up at the Heritage Days a couple wknds ago at Allenberry. And met OldLefty, you sure do make it look effortless.

The setup there was a hula hoop with a plate inside for the 5pt bullseye, 2 or 3 for the hoop with them set at 25-40-55ft. Three consecutive shots at each, with a break in between each set. Rod was an 8'6" TFO Lefty Kreh plastic something or other, 5wf. Got used to the rod waving some line in the air, got a feel for the target distances and will say that 25ft is closer than you think, 40 was comfortable fishing distance and 55 looked just a smidge furthur out there than you'd think.

Also learned it's best to leave your 'presentation' techniques on the water. Just slap that fly down with a straight leader. Ingrained habits are ingrained I guess, and I missed a lot of hoops as the wind flipped the last bit of tippet w/ the yarn just off to the side. Hit the 25' plate to open my round and then I guess I only hit three other hoops @ 3each, I think I only had 14pts total for the accuracy.

Distance was also interesting, especially with OL over there casually moving 90+ ft of line thru the air. I'll just say that my arm was kinda shot by now and technique definitely fell apart and a stiff breeze rolled thru and a bug got in my eye just I stepped on a pebble and yet somehow I managed to lay out all of 71' for my best of three distance. Add that 71 to the accuracy points and you have your score.

Then for fun I grabbed a pair of cane 5wts I had along, one 7'6" and the other 8'. Found I was pretty much the same on accuracy whether it was graphite or bamboo, but at distance the cane rods topped out at a bit over 60' in my hands. Which for me is just a bit further than what I usually need on the water, for the fishing I do. Would be nice to develop the ability to reach out a bit more though, practice, practice, practice I guess...and maybe a tip here and there.

And I'll add that it's real easy to practice this stuff, I usually pace off distances based on rod length in hand and mark the spots with the reel case, rod bag and/or a pile of leaves/mulch, rod tube toes the line.. Doesn't take much to put numbers to concepts, if you're into that.

Posted on: 2013/6/24 18:37

Philc,

Info is at the CVTU Site:
http://cvtu.homestead.com/

Posted on: 2013/6/24 18:40

From Jersey Shore, PA
So, how many do we have interested in getting together? And, from where would you be coming?

Dave R.

Posted on: 2013/6/27 7:56

From Along the Lehigh Above the Gap
Phil and I from Allentown. Tim is from Lancaster. I am pretty sure all three of us that have chimed in would travel to you.

Posted on: 2013/6/27 8:16

http://bugflingerandfeatherlasher.blogspot.com/

From Philadelphia PA
I told you guys in an earlier post that you need to put the hoola hoop around your waist and keep it spinning while casting to get real good...I was hoping to have a little fun competition with it and nobody was up to my challenge...

Good luck guys!

Posted on: 2013/6/27 10:14
"I am respected when I walk into any fly shop. Salespeople wait on me hand and waders. I once tried underwater casting just to see if I could. I am the most admired Fly Fisherman in the world. And when I fly-fish, I use the Orvis Access. Stay Fishing MF

I'm in Carlisle & semi interested....if I can swing it, I'd travel as far as State College/Coburn. But don't plan around me, my wknds look booked thru most of July.

Posted on: 2013/6/27 18:16

From Jersey Shore, PA
So, let's consider when we'd like to get together.

BTW, I still haven't made a final decision on which line I'll be using.

Dave R.

Posted on: 2013/7/8 12:16

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 7 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes 52% (85)
No 47% (78)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/8/22 12:38
2 Comments

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com