Flies needed for the JAM

ryguyfi

ryguyfi

The JAM is 2 weeks away. It's so close I can smell the rain and mud and stream levels over the bank. (ohh wait, that's been the last month).

For those who are getting ready, here's a general list of what you would need for the 3ish days of fishing in the State College area. I've only been going there a few years now, so anyone can add to it, but this should keep you covered.

There are 2 main hatches that "should" be going on by then.

March Browns - They are BIG compared to most other march brown hatches. I tie mine on a standard size 10 hook. Dark brown tail, medium brown body with dark brown ribbing, tan and dark brown hackle together. Also tie up some basic rusty spinners in sz 10 for the spinnerfall. You can also just tie up a large hares ear in a medium brown color.

Sulphurs - Size 16. Light tail, light body, light hackle. Pretty simple. Once again rusty spinner size 16 for the spinnerfall. You can also tie up some emergers with cdc, snowshoe, elk, whatever you want. I had a bit of success a few years ago with those.

(curve ball hatch)
BWOs - They tricked us one year and came out before the spinnerfall of the sulphurs. I believe that year they were about a size 16-18. dun tail, olive body, dun hackle.

Your basic nymphs will work during the day, but also have some scuds and cressbugs for the limestoners. size 16-20.

For brookie fishing I suggest something that rides high and dry. I tie a very light elk hair caddis with a ton of elk hair. Or parachute adams, or royal wulff. Underneath I use a very small olive bugger or a pink SJW.

And last but not least are large streamers with a ton of weight. It's inevitable that it's going to rain, and in buckets during the JAM and that may be the only fishing that we can do.

Happy tying/buying and we'll see everyone in a few weeks!

Ryan

I was hoping someone would start this.

So I don't need to bother tying any Mothra-like Drakes for this year? They were heavy last year.

Tom, probably best to have a few drakes/coffins...just in case :)

peace-tony c.

Dryer Lint scuds tonight and rebuilding leaders.

On the Penn Creek Angler website it says that that the March Browns are already hatching on the lower sections. If this is true, the hatching might be winding down on the lower part of the creek by the time of the Jam.

I think Ryan has all the bases covered. I'm well prepared for Green Drakes this year, but its only a pipe dream -- they'll be a week or three after the jam this year.

Do come prepared to fish streamers or brookie streams if the current weather patterns hold...

This is the thread I've been waiting for. This will be my first Jam so I wanted to be prepared. The dries listed are pretty close to what is on my list. If the green drakes are late this year, what about green drake nymphs? I think they might be a bit different than standard PTs? Most notably the gills? Anyone have a favorite pattern?

The only dry fly fishing i normally do is the "adams hatch" on my local stocker streams so Im pretty excited about this...even if it rains.

Thanks guys.

turkey wrote:
This is the thread I've been waiting for. This will be my first Jam so I wanted to be prepared. The dries listed are pretty close to what is on my list. If the green drakes are late this year, what about green drake nymphs? I think they might be a bit different than standard PTs? Most notably the gills? Anyone have a favorite pattern?

The only dry fly fishing i normally do is the "adams hatch" on my local stocker streams so Im pretty excited about this...even if it rains.

Thanks guys.

Try this nymph pattern. Also I'd think about bringing golden stone fly patterns larger sizes. Just my opinion

Slate_drake_nymph2-380x273.jpg

Nymph-O-Maniac wrote
I'd think about bringing golden stone fly patterns larger sizes.

Good catch. These are important bugs on Penns especially. Size 6-8.

albatross wrote:
Nymph-O-Maniac wrote
I'd think about bringing golden stone fly patterns larger sizes.

Good catch. These are important bugs on Penns especially. Size 6-8.

Yup. I've been grabbing a drink of water off my side pouch and have had trout come up right next to me and grab my golden stone haha.

maybe it's just me, but I think all the bugs on penns seem a size or two bigger than lots of other streams, especially the western pa streams.
an yep, those green drakes are huge! I remember someone asking me if they could fish them with a 2wt!!

I think sulfurs in some variety will be on and they like to hatch under foul conditions. I refuse to expect the rain that we all know is a foregone conclusion.

I didn't include the Drakes, as I expect this year to be similar to the opposite of last year... the hatches may be a little bit late than usual. Once again, I'm no expert, but I figured I'd fill in the people who are new to fishing that area. I got my first official skunking today, so I can't wait to get skunked in 2 weeks on some "real quality" water lol.

A little bump for those frantically tying for the JAM. Hopefully we'll have some decent conditions to toss some of these dries to hungry fish!

TYoung wrote:
On the Penn Creek Angler website it says that that the March Browns are already hatching on the lower sections. If this is true, the hatching might be winding down on the lower part of the creek by the time of the Jam.

There were some last Tuesday but before I could get into the water the storms came up and so did Penns.

Everyone's gearing up for Penns. But while thats fine, with the movement of locations, we are farther from Penns and closer to the LJR and Spring, to the point where I don't see it as a Penns jam anymore, it's pretty centrally located between those 3.

Ryan's list is just fine. For the super matchers, I'll make a few minor amendments.

Yes, Penns Creek bugs are bigger, but many will be fishing other streams as well. The March Brown is more commonly a 12 in many streams, a 10 on Penns is pretty typical. 10's and 12's will cover ya.

Sulfurs: There are 2 types, the early sulfurs are roughly a 14-16, the late sulfurs roughly a 16-18. Ryan's suggestion of a 16 kind of covers both bases well enough, but if you want super preparedness, have some 14's and 18's as well.

Timing wise, on a typical year on May 20-21st we'd be nearing the end of the March Browns, enjoying the peak of the sulfurs, and awaiting the start of the Green Drakes. Haven't been up there in a while but with the high water, I'm thinking "late" or "on track" are possibilities but "early" is lookin doubtful. So Drakes would be unlikely even on a normal year, and especially unlikely this year. But the nymphs could produce.

I'd have:

Sulfurs: nymphs and emergers in size 16. Duns and spinners in 14-18.

March Browns - duns and spinners in 10-12.

Green Drakes - Nymphs only

scuds

various caddis

black sculpin or your choice of streamer for high conditions

whatever you like to use on brookie streams.

i agree with pat i had all those flies plus some junk and a ton of streamers i had one huge hit that i was not ready for while stripping a wiggle nymph a huge wiggle nymph at that and one really small brookie but other than that it was a great time had by all excluding the tiff between rudy and jack other than that hope to see you all this year

Just topping this for those who might be interested and didn't see it.

Streamers with big lead heads...

Back