Erie Steelhead JAM October 30th to November 1st!!

ryguyfi

ryguyfi

Paflyfish's 1st annual steelhead jamboree will be held at Folly's end campground on October 30th to November 1st. Here's the webpage for Folly's. Those attending please RSVP in this thread. Below will be a list of those already planning on attending. You may come for any portion of the event. Some will be staying at local hotels, but if you would like to camp at the campground the cost is $8 per person per night. Please also notate if you plan on camping so I can give a solid number of campers to the owner.

Details:

People, I'm sure, will filter in throughout the day on Friday. I have the pavillion reserved for all 3 days at Folly's, so that will be our central meeting point. I believe there are plans in force to meet for some food or drinks on Friday night. I will be most likely coming up on Saturday and be bringing some breakfast food. If someone want's to bring other items, or volunteer to make coffee, that would be a good help. We will follow the same schedule on Sunday morning.

The campground is right on Elk. The stream conditions at that time may depend on where fishing is the best. As a general rule, larger streams take longer to get muddy and take longer to clear, and vise versa on smaller streams.

Here is a list of things to bring...

food, clothes(prepare to layer or change if you get wet) and supplies for extended stays. A 5-8wt rod and reel with tippet ranging from 0x to 4x. Waders, tackle, flies steelhead flies, raincoat, net, etc.

There are approx. 20 people coming so far with several camping out. If you would like to come and want to organize a carpool do so in this thread so that as many people who want to join us can. If you have any other questions feel free to ask away.

Here's the list I have of those planning on attending

Heritage Angler
JackM
gzaccky
Farmer Dave
JasonS
jrcll
Squaretail
Millertime
GoldenFly
ryguyfi (3 guests)
groove790
albatross
tomgamber
Bruno
Fishidiot
acristickid
flipnfly (guest)

Looks to be a great event!!!

Ryan Gouldsbarry

Thats prime striper time count me out . OH make sure you guys bring your rain coats .......

Fredrick wrote:
Thats prime striper time count me out . OH make sure you guys bring your rain coats .......

See the salt thread. If my gear is up to snuff, I am in for that. I can go bright and early on the sunday. I will just have to stay sober at the wedding!

Sorry I can't make it Ryan. I was really looking forward to it.

I'll have atleast one friend coming if not two. Nomorecornchuckin's on the bubble and cant commit just yet as well.

For those making the trek from the East, there's a few of us meeting at Cabela's @ 6am on Friday (10/30).

I have no idea of how many are meeting there, but this might provide a carpooling opportunity. A buddy of mine that works at the big C expressed serious interest in joining this adventure, and there may be several more as well.

At the very least, it provides an opportunity to "caravan" up there, and we'll get you to Folly's and more if you don't know the way. We could wind up with a convoy of muperes! Bring an FRS radio for on the road communication if you have one.

For those with GPS capability, you can get coordinates for LOTS of stream access points at this link ...

I used this technnique last year, and it worked well...

count me in id like to meet you guys

Not sure which day I will be there, but i don't think I will be camping.

I know Walnut Creek but never been at Elk, see you there.

Ryan,

I haven't decided yet if i'm gonna camp or get a hotel room, waiting till it gets closer so i can see a weather report. Put me down as a maybe.

HA,

I may come and meet up with you guys at cabelas.

Jason

Sounds good guys. I gave Jim at Folly's a general number of who's coming and who's camping. I'm sure he'll make room for a few more tents last minute if that's the case.

I'll probably drop by Saturday @noon. I have commitments in the AM.
Chris

Quick question related to gear. On my 8wt I don't have a floating line, I have an intermediate sink tip. Is this okay or should I go out and get a floating line? Thanks.

Jason

Jason, get the floating line unless you are going to fish the lake. The deepest holes aren't more than about 6 feet deep and most fishing will be done between 1-4 feet. You can get an inexpensive level, and may only have to invest $20 or less.

Jason - If you want a top quality line for $27 plus shipping (they're having a 10% off special), I highly recommend this.

It's become my favorite line, and is the equal of the major manufacturer's premium lines (it's made by Cortland).

Hook and Hackle is in Pennsylvania - nice bunch of guys.

Thanks for the recommendation HA, I'll certainly keep Hook and Hackle in mind.

A little over 3 weeks left. Anyone else plan on coming?

Count me in for the Jam too :-D I will come for Saturday and Sunday. I'll probably get a hotel nearby.

I'm looking forward to meeting, getting to know, and learning from everyone there.

So I'll see everyone in a few weeks. In the meanwhile I'll have to start getting geared-up for steel.

2 Weeks left... hopefully we won't be fighting off the snow. That's always fun in a tent.

Anyone else plan on joining us?

I am out...got word from my surgeon that my shoulder goes under the knife on the 26th of October. I'd better get up there a couple times before hand to make up for the time that will be lost in recovery!!!

Back