Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3)

Re: Commissioner's Meeting Today: Penns Creek and Big Spring
From Monessen, PA
I predict it will have a very small impact on the number of 7-12 inch fish for 3 years only.

Posted on: 2013/1/24 13:36

-- Leo Tolstoy

Quote:
Penns gets borderline temps. Live that long and their bound to hit a bad summer. And borderline temps harm big fish first.

I did an experiment a few summers ago, when flows were low and stream temps were high. I rigged my thermometer 8 feet below a thingamabobber and threw it out into one of the pools on Penns. Temps in the shallows were in the mid to upper 70s, depending on where you happened to try. The temperature on the bottom of the pool was 66.

Temps on the bottom of the deep pools are not the same as the surface temp, and there are many thermal refuges where fish can find shelter (spring holes and tributaries). It's important to not to fish in these conditions, because when you pull fish out of the thermal refuges it stresses them tremendously to fight a rod in the warm currents. However, if you leave them alone in the refuges they do surprisingly well. I don't think it stresses them all that much except for in the most extreme years.

Penns is far from marginal. There is a substantial populations of wild fish as far downstream as 20 miles below Coburn.

Posted on: 2013/1/24 15:19

From Philadelphia
For what it's worth, I just spoke to a friend who lives up in Millheim and knows most of the landowners along this stretch of Penns. Apparently they just heard about this proposal too but those he spoke with are in favor of the slot limit approach.

Posted on: 2013/1/24 18:46

From LV
Tups actually I like the compromise, it makes more sense then any TT ergulation we have now, because the way the TT regs are now is you remove all the trophy fish from the section. That's not TT regs as a conservation reg. it's a harvest all the big fish so we have more little fish reg.
We'll see what happens, becuase like I said I don't think anyone has studied this concept in the past and now with the experiment PFBC plans to do regular surveys to see how the fishery responds. This is a good thing as long as they have no pre-concieved notions as to how it will turn out.

Posted on: 2013/1/25 7:58

I think this shall be interesting to follow and see how the fish populations and structure may or may not change. Who ever said that Penns is marginal is way off base. The TT section typically maintains temps that are conducive for trout survival for a good distance down stream from coburn. In fact, this stretch becomes a "refuge" area for the trout in the lower river (C&R stretch and below). During summer months, I have seen many anglers (artificial & bait) take large trout from this stretch, dont be fooled that harvest is not occurring in this stretch. Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

Posted on: 2013/1/25 12:47

From Gettysburg
Here's the PFBC press release regarding the changes to Penns Creek:

Slot Limit

Posted on: 2013/1/25 14:36

From Along the Lehigh Above the Gap
Penns has become one of my favorite streams. I tend to like larger water, check. Obviously, I favor larger browns, check. Substantial aquatic food tends to make the fish a little pickier, and provides a little more of a challenge. I enjoy the challenge. Finally, I like the remoteness of some of the stretches. Delaware is still my favorite, but Penns is inching up there. Little J might give it a run, but the drive time to get there hurts it. O and I enjoy Jonas. Any shop that provides their personal cell number when they are away on a fishing vacation, and answers any questions, is ok in my book! I can only hope that these slot limits work out for the better.

Posted on: 2013/1/25 14:46

From D-Town
Becker in the spring if you want to run up to Penns during the week or weekend I am game.

Posted on: 2013/1/25 19:41

« 1 2 (3)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com