Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Coming to Philly on Business, where to fish/guide recs?

From South Pasadena, CA
I have the good fortune (and occassional curse) to travel a fair amount for business. Work will bring me out to Philly, and I will have a weekend in mid-September to hit the water.

Fished the Catskills on the Neversink and Beaverkill in NJ, but unfamiliar with what might be around Philly (or within a few hours' drive of there). Salt is OK, streams and rivers OK, lakes - not much expereince but willing to try. Nymphying, streamers and dry - all OK.

Interested in any recommendations for guides or general areas/cities recommended to start my search. Like the map available here, but do not know what parts of PA are good that time of year, and happy to drive and see the scenery. Anyone who wants to meet up would also be fine. Weekend of Sept. 20-22.

Happy to reciprocrate should you ever find yourself heading out to LA.

Not sure PMs are available here, so let me know best way to communicate.

Thanks for the look.

Cheers.

Posted on: 2013/8/23 11:14

Edited by tk863 on 2013/8/23 11:46:39

Re: Coming to Philly on Business, where to fish/guide recs?
From Gettysburg
There are quite a few options in southeast PA ("SEPA") in Sept. Much depends on how much time you have and how far you're willing to drive. If you're willing to drive at least 2 hours, there are countless trout fishing opportunities north or west of the Philly area. Two hours will also put you on the beach at the Jersey shore. The counties surrounding Philly are Chester, Bucks, and Montgomery. If you check the Stream Reports forum you can see reports from specific waters in those areas. Most of the waters in these counties are within about an hour drive depending on where you're staying. Many of the stocked trout streams in SEPA will have few, if any, trout left as most streams in PA get too warm to hold trout over the summer. There are streams with wild trout in these counties but many more if you're willing to drive further.

If it were me, I'd drive up the Delaware River and fish for smallmouth bass.

PMs are possible, check your inbox on the right side of this page when you're logged in.

Posted on: 2013/8/23 12:18

From South Pasadena, CA
Appreciate the tip. When I am in Idaho I drive 4 hours to get on the water, so not afraid of some driving. Will look into the Delaware river suggestion - have not done any bass fishing before on a flyrod, so that could be fun. Cheers and tight lines!

Posted on: 2013/8/23 12:30

From Along the Lehigh Above the Gap
Tk,

I sent a pm with some info. Hope it helps.

Posted on: 2013/8/23 13:29

From South Pasadena, CA
SBecker,

Appreciate the PM and have reached out. Will circle back once the loop is completed. Cheers!

Nice Avatar, btw.

Posted on: 2013/8/23 13:55

From Philadelphia
Will send you a PM too. I actually come out your way and fish in the San Garbriel and San Bernardino Mountains. I get plenty of ino from a few guys out there, so I'll sure help if I can.

Posted on: 2013/8/25 18:47

From South Pasadena, CA
Fox,

Thanks for the PM - I replied and appreciate it.

Posted on: 2013/8/26 22:40

From South Pasadena, CA
First, let me thank the many of you that have PM'd me and given me some pointers or offered to meet up if schedules can work. Much obliged.

Was curious as to whether people wet wade this time of year in PA, or are waders the choice?

Again, thanks for all the feedback - you have a great flyfishing commmunity out there and I appreciate the opportunity to share the water!

Posted on: 2013/9/3 12:00

From Monessen, PA
We don't trust our waterways to be free of biological contaminants, so most of us wear our waders, if they're breathable. Maybe waist-highs or even hippers on smaller streams.

Posted on: 2013/9/3 16:23

-- Leo Tolstoy

From Monessen, PA
By the way, why not pull down the sun scarf when being photographed?

Posted on: 2013/9/3 16:25

-- Leo Tolstoy

From South Pasadena, CA
JackM,

Good to know about the water concerns - waders it is, then.

The sunscarf just tends to stay up there for some reason, not really sure why - definitely not my style to go bandido or anything. I keep telling the missus not to starch it, so I do not think that is the reason why, but it always just seems a bit stiff. I guess I should start to flip it around behind me before I pick up the fish in the future...

Posted on: 2013/9/3 18:30

From Gettysburg
Quote:

tk863 wrote:
Was curious as to whether people wet wade this time of year in PA, or are waders the choice?

Sure, you can wet wade this time of year - many of us do it.

There's been a long running debate on this forum over whether it's safe and several posters have testified to infections or injuries they have rec'd when wet wading. Others (such as myself) continue to wet wade as we have for decades without any problems. Of course, if you have any open cuts or injuries, you'll want to wear waders.
I would suggest that if you do skip the waders, that you wear some sort of long pants as shoreline vegetation is very thick this time of year and can really give your bare legs a beating.

Posted on: 2013/9/3 20:01

From Landenberg, PA
i wet wade in flats pants tucked into my sox. it keeps ticks and leeches out.

i have the kind that convert into shorts, so after fishing i just zip em off and drive home.

Posted on: 2013/9/10 12:43

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
I'll leave the salt and WW stuff to people who are more familiar with it than I.

You will predate fall stockings, so in the trout world, you're confined to wild trout streams. If you wanted to stay under an hour, there's a couple of options but it's slim pickings. Once you get into the hour and a half range, you can get into the mountains and options open up considerably, but it'll be mostly smaller and medium sized streams.

3-4 hours, and well, you can get to the best PA has to offer, including our larger and fairly famous limestoners, a few big tailwaters, etc.

I can help with PM's if you haven't gotten enough already. But mostly I guess I'd ask what kind of fishing you'd want to get into. There's smallmouth, saltwater, etc. And among trout, there's large tailwaters, medium to large limestoners, small to medium freestoners. And within that, you can get a relatively easy, park and fish type place, pastoral settings, deep woods/mountain settings with hikes, etc. Streams ranging from ultra-low gradient, classic limestoners with tricky, weedy currents to high gradient with waterfalls and the like.

Posted on: 2013/9/10 13:30

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com