« 1 (2) 3 4 5 ... 13 »

Re: Catskills Chaos

Quote:

dryflyguy wrote:
Quote:

Maurice wrote:
Quote:

dryflyguy wrote:
The hendrickson hatch was pretty much over by the end of april up there the last couple years.
I'm going up april 21st thru 28th

Bill,

I wonder with the two previous winters if the early hatches were due to the mild winters. This winter has been long and cold so I'll be curious to see how it shakes out.

Hope you hit it.

Maurice -

Actually, this winter was very mild until christmas. And the last 2 months were about normal IMO.

FWIW - I've taken off the last week of april specifically to target hendricksons on the D for the last 5 years now.
Of course, last year was quite odd due to the non-winter of "11 and '12. According to the websites, hendricksons started hatching before opening day. I managed to get up there the 3rd week of april for a few days, and just caught the end of them. Went back a week later, and they were over.
In spring of '11 - the river was very high all spring, and I never even went up.
In '08 thru '10 - I hit the hendricksons perfectly the last week of april.
And I remember at least one of those winters - '10, I believe - was very cold and snowy.

It looks like the Catskills are going to get a lot of real heavy, wet, snow. This should probably help matters a bit.

Posted on: 2013/3/7 10:48

Re: Catskills Chaos early May 2013

From Dauphin PA
That would be a great help. Getting a little extra flow in those rivers would be a welcome sight.

Posted on: 2013/3/7 20:41

From York & Starlight, PA
Krayfish wrote;

"lake fishing for giant browns and smallmouth in NYC reservoirs"

Yes, this is true but only if you have a current valid NYC reservoir permit. Which by the way is available on-line. I believe it is free but w/o it it is illegal to fish Pepacton, Cannnsville, or any NYC reservoir.

Also it is very difficult to fly fish from the shore for the trout. They don't often cruise near the distance you can fly cast from the shore. I did learn that boats (don't know what kind) are going to be available for rent. That is the way to go. Pepacton is one deep reservoir and much of the fishing, for trout, is done with spinning gear and live alewives for bait. Now maybe with a Type V sink tip and some 5" - 7" Clousers you might have a chance.

I go up every week from mid April to the end of June and then every other week from July 15 - August 30. So I'll be there for sure during the April 28 - May 04 period. (Barring some unforeseen situation or comittment) But since I usually only fish Tuesday - Thursday I won't be around for the other periods.

I have a two man kayak I'd be willing to loan to two guys when I'm present and I do have a Hyde LP drift boat and would be more than happy to take one guy a day down either the WB, Balls Eddy to Shehawken, or Shehawken to Buckingham. I prefer not to take the Hyde above Balls Eddy as there are just so many waders that it is sometimes difficult to negotiate behind them and I hate being having someone yell "You F____g @$%&* at me. It kinds spoils my day.

Posted on: 2013/3/8 15:54

From Dauphin PA
WB provided some good advice. BTW, I didn't mention fly fishing the lakes.... just fishing them in general. It is mostly bait or trolling with plugs if you want to row yourself to death. In order to bring a watercraft on the lake...be prepared for a nightmare. The boat has to go through wash / decontaminate stations and you need some type of permit. Once the boat leaves the lake, it all has to be done again if you come back a different day. Rental boats would be huge and I wasn't aware that they had them this year. If you ever want a v-hull or flat bottom boat, they sell off all of the abandoned boats at the end of each season. You can pick up a 16' v-hull for $150.

Posted on: 2013/3/8 16:43

Edited by dkile on 2013/3/8 21:48:00

Krayfish,

"WB..... no float from Buck to Long Eddy? Nothing on the EB or way down on the main river?"

Sure, no problem are you paying the $40 for the shuttle? I don't believe the upper EB should be floated with a drift boat. That is my opinion and I'm sticking to it. Have I ever done it? Yep but it was dicey because the water was dropping while we were out and I was afraid I might get the boat stranded in low water. It was downright nervewracking.

Also there are only a few places where you can legally launch a drift boat and both are primitive sites. I do float the upper EB in one of my pontoon boats or one of my kayaks and enjoy that. But again the upper EB is on the narrow side and maybe the pro guides don't mind but there are many places where it is just impossible to go behind a wader so you have to go in front of them. Guess what? When the fish are rising and your all excited and a couple of boats go floating down over the fish it gets old really quickly.

I do float the lower EB but again with the pontoon or one of my two kayaks. There are very few places on the lower EB I can't wade too and if I can't so be it. I think the trout need some sanctuary from all the assualts we fly fishers give to them.

Posted on: 2013/3/8 17:02

From Dauphin PA
Float the upper EB? Never tried it and probably won't unless it's 1200 cfs. Since we usually have several anglers in the group, we probably run 70% of shuttles ourselves. There are more access points on the river but a majority are private or you pay to launch. Since most of my floating is done by pontoon, toss it over the guardrail and row.

Posted on: 2013/3/8 21:53

"Since most of my floating is done by pontoon, toss it over the guardrail and row."

Yep, that is surely an option. I saw a guy once drop his pontoon boat off a bridge because there was no easy way to get it down to the river.

The reason I don't like buddy shuttles is because it really eats into the fishing time. Say we were going to do Buck to Long Eddy; We'd have to drop the boat at Buck, and someone would have to stay with the boat as I never leave it alone for more than a few minutes. Then I'd have tp drive down to Long Eddy and someone would obviously have to follow me. At least 1/2 hour down, another 1/2 hour coming back. Too much hassle for my taste.

Posted on: 2013/3/8 22:50

From Pittsburgh
Wbranch -

I'm curious as to why you only fish tuesday thru thursday. Are crowds that much thinner then?

Posted on: 2013/3/8 23:17

From Wayne County
At times I can be available as a "boat sitter" if you guys need one for more than a few minutes. If I'm off work I can meet somewhere, watch a boat and fish from shore. I'm a little less than 30 miles from Hancock so its no biggie.

Posted on: 2013/3/9 8:11

Dryflyguy wrote;

"I'm curious as to why you only fish tuesday thru thursday. Are crowds that much thinner then?"

Well primarily because I'm retired and yes often there are less anglers on the water those days compared to Friday - Monday.

Posted on: 2013/3/9 9:01

From Dauphin PA
Cathy, just shuttling? You didn't like fishing there?

Posted on: 2013/3/9 10:16

From Wayne County
I loved the fishing. I just think its time to start returning some favors.

Posted on: 2013/3/9 11:07

From Dauphin PA
That's a very nice gesture. You are a good woman.

Posted on: 2013/3/9 11:38

From Along the Lehigh Above the Gap
Quote:

krayfish wrote:
That's a very nice gesture. You are a good woman.

+1

Posted on: 2013/3/9 13:08

http://bugflingerandfeatherlasher.blogspot.com/

From Dauphin PA
It doesn't appear there is much interest but I'll update the thread.

I'm planning on moving the dates back one week. Shooting for May 4th - May 11th. The continued below normal temps have me thinking that the hatches will be pushed back a bit. This time last year, the rivers were low and water temps had already gotten into the high 50's / 60 degrees. The rivers have a good bit more water in this year and the water temps are in the 33-35 range.

Not sure who is coming but I'll assume we have....

Me
Josh
Tom from Jersey
DaveS
wbranch (Tue-Thu)
RickinPA
wsender

Sound off if you are interested. A head count / plan of attack would be helpful.

Posted on: 2013/3/18 13:04

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 ... 13 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
Comments?

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com