3/20/10 Lehigh Valley Tying/fishing "Mini Jam"

• Thread starter Heritage-Angler
  • Start date
Heritage-Angler

Heritage-Angler

To all PAFF members:

On Saturday March 20th, at 10AM, we will be gathering at "A Sporting Lifestyle" for a morning of fly tying. Esteemed PAFF member "Old Lefty" (Dave Rothrock) will be in attendance to pass on tying tips, and show/tie a few patterns that apply to the fishing we will be doing later in the day. This event is free to all PAFF members, friends, and families.

We will break for a quick lunch at 1PM (at Cali Burrito down the street - great food, under $10), and then head out to fish around 2PM. We'll be able to put the new flies we just tied to use, and see their effectiveness put to the test. With the change to daylight savings time on 3/14, we should have plenty of daylight to get several hours of fishing in. We'll do our best to put folks on fish. :cool:

Anyone planning on attending should post it here in this post. I also need you to PM me for a choice of fishing destinations, so we can plan on whether to fish the Baetis hatch, or the little black stonefly hatch. I'd like to keep our destination private for the time being, for obvious reasons.

Join us for what will surely be a great day of learning, both at the tying bench, and on stream!

H.A.

Thanks for getting the gang together again H.A. it'll be great to see everyone again. Count me in I'd prefer to fish the L.V. but if the vote swings so will I.

HA,
Hope to make it this time around. Where doesn't matter !

Interested but unable to commit. Here's hoping.

Can we bring beer in the shop :pint: I want to do a power point presentation like Mo with a beer as my pointer :lol:

I'd like to join you guys, but I can't be sure if I can make it yet.

im in for the shop/lesson...i may have my 2 year old so not sure about fishing...PM on the way

jeff

Heritage-Angler wrote:
We will break for a quick lunch at 1PM (at Cali Burrito down the street - great food, under $10)

Go for the food, stay for the views.

Anyone planning on attending should post it here in this post. I also need you to PM me for a choice of fishing destinations

In.

Yeah, the view is sick. You can totally see hamilton blvd from your seat. It's in the pantheon of roads named after founding fathers that died in duels.:-D

jayL wrote:
Yeah, the view is sick. You can totally see hamilton blvd from your seat.

I saw headlights, but I wasn't looking out in the street. :-o

I'll be there too!! Anywhere is fine with me for the fishing.

I will be there.

HA,

Mark me down as a definite maybe. I'm gonna try to make it.

JasonS wrote:
HA,

Mark me down as a definite maybe. I'm gonna try to make it.

Don't make me send Miyagi after you in his ninja outfit. :-D

Count me in.

What is the format of the morning session?
Should we bring our fly tying tools/materials?

Thanks

Upstream wrote:
Should we bring our fly tying tools/materials?

Absolutely! There's only enough room for about 6 guys to tie at one time, but with three hours of tying time, we should be able to get everyone a chance to tie several flies to use later in the day.

So far, the majority of the people that say they're coming prefer to fish the Lehigh Valley, so the flies we'll be covering will be Baetis patterns (Got that Lefty?). If you only bring materials to tie Baetis immitations, it'll cut down on what you have to bring.

I suggest bringing a tying light if you can, as the light isn't the best in there for tying. Pedestal vises are recommended if you have one. The furniture in there is pretty fancy, so we've got to be careful with c-clamps and such.

This is gonna be a pretty unique tying class. It's the first I've ever heard of where you get to learn some new patterns, and then get the opportunity to learn how to fish them effectively right afterwards. It's also a rare day when you get to see Old Lefty tie more than one fly in a sitting. ;-)

Just being able to learn how to tie Dave's patterns is....priceless.

Shoot about the best I can do is find out where you guys are going to be fishing and meet up there.
No chance of me making it to the tying session but would like to meat up with you guys again.

Heritage could you PM me and let me know where you guys are going to meat up at and do some fishing?

Take care

Allen.....

71jeep wrote:

Heritage could you PM me and let me know where you guys are going to meat up at and do some fishing?

PM sent.

Upstream wrote:
Count me in.

Thanks

New guys brings a fresh box of joe :-D

Just kidding....... sorta :p

Hope to see you there!

Hi Guys,

I am brand new to tying. First class is with Tully TU next week. Is this something I can get in on or would I hold you guys back? I don't want to be a burden to the group.

Thanks

J

Back