Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 7 8 »

Re: 2nd Annual Fish N Chips Event

From Mount Pocono, PA
I would very much like to come. I was referred to this site by a member on pafoa.org after I posted this:

[QUOTE] Hello all. As some of you know, one of my favorite things is fishing. I go mainly for rainbow trout (good eatin'), and have always fished rivers and streams with a spinning reel. I've used a variety of baits, lures and riggings with decent luck. Most commonly, I use a pair of gang hooks with a worm for bait. I've also had great luck with inline spinner/fly combos, small spoons, and I love my Panther Martin spinner and my Mepp's Aglia.

I had always dismissed fly fishing as something that would take far too much time and work to learn, something for the elite, but have always held a deep respect for it. Every time I see a person working their line just right to land a fly, I think to myself, 'there is a better fisherman than me.' I love watching it. The graceful loop of the line, the art of simulating nature as closely as possible to fool even the wariest, oldest trout into striking...

Well, I've decided I want to stop being lazy and learn. However, at the moment, I simply cannot afford to buy an entire set of supplies. Hell, I can hardly afford the gas to go fishing at all. Plus, what if I buy all this crap only find out that fly fishing isn't really my thing?

I was hoping perhaps someone in my area would be willing to show me the ropes. Go out fishing, teach me the basics. Hopefully you have an old spare rod and reel you could loan me for it. Unfortunately, I cannot really offer much in return except the promise that I'll pass the knowledge on to others when I can.

So, anyone willing to tutor? I tend to be a pretty quick learner, and it's always nice to spend time with people of similar interests... So whadya say? I'm in Mount Pocono and can travel a reasonable distance (maybe 30 miles). [/QUOTE]

Well, I posted a thread in the beginner section, and was directed here.

So if I come, what are the odds someone will be willing to let me use a spare they have to learn? I have no gear at the moment.

I have literally never touched a fly rod in my life. I have always envied those that do it, and think it's high time I learn myself.

EDIT: Well, now I'm not so sure. Heritage-Angler told me in the thread I started that it was about a 30 minute drive from Mt Pocono. But after actually looking at the directions he posted, I see it's actually in Allentown? That's an hour from here, and I don't think I can swing that on Saturday.

Posted on: 2013/7/25 22:15

Edited by snakeman21 on 2013/7/25 22:38:22

From Along the Lehigh Above the Gap
I can provide you my Winston Passport 9ft 4wt. Someone provide him a reel?

Posted on: 2013/7/25 22:29

http://bugflingerandfeatherlasher.blogspot.com/

From Mount Pocono, PA
Sorry, don't think I can come. I was told it was a half hour drive from mt pocono by another member. After posting here, I looked at the directions to find that it's 60 miles away in Allentown, twice the distance than I said I was willing to travel. Man, I really got my hopes up when he said that, too.

Posted on: 2013/7/25 22:49

From Chester County
The trip from Mt. Pocono to the parking lot on the LL is 43.1 miles / 42 minute trip according to Google maps.

Directions to the LL

I believe you will find the event worth driving an extra 12 minutes. The food alone makes the drive worthwhile....and meeting Foxy and Ed is priceless.

Posted on: 2013/7/26 6:25

From Abington
I have a cheapie loaner reel.

...Quote:

SBecker wrote:
I can provide you my Winston Passport 9ft 4wt. Someone provide him a reel?

Posted on: 2013/7/26 7:27

From Mount Pocono, PA
It is not 42 miles. I've mapped out every route I can. The shortest is 57 miles/1 hour.

It's not so much a matter of what I'm WILLING to drive, as much as what I CAN drive.

We just had to drop over $3000 on a dental surgery, and money is very tight so we're trying to conserve. This is much further than we agreed we're allowed to go for "fun" things. My car is dead in the driveway waiting to go to a mechanic when we can, and in the meantime we're sharing my wife's (god, I hate automatic trannsmissions...) and she would be very upset if I drove it 100 miles tomorrow.

I'm sorry, I really want to come, but it looks like it's simply not an option unless I can ask my frineds if one of them wants to go to and ride down with them. Not likely, none of my friends in PA like to fish, but I will ask just the same.

Posted on: 2013/7/26 7:31

From Philadelphia
Snakeman21, if you come, I'm sure we can get you a setup to at least work on casting on the lawn with us and I'm sure you won't be alone. You are going to need to spend some time practicing before hitting the water or you are just going to frustrate yourself and walk away. This is a newbie instructional event after all.

Posted on: 2013/7/26 7:33

From Philadelphia
Quote:

snakeman21 wrote:
It is not 42 miles. I've mapped out every route I can. The shortest is 57 miles/1 hour.

It's not so much a matter of what I'm WILLING to drive, as much as what I CAN drive.

We just had to drop over $3000 on a dental surgery, and money is very tight so we're trying to conserve. This is much further than we agreed we're allowed to go for "fun" things. My car is dead in the driveway waiting to go to a mechanic when we can, and in the meantime we're sharing my wife's (god, I hate automatic trannsmissions...) and she would be very upset if I drove it 100 miles tomorrow.

I'm sorry, I really want to come, but it looks like it's simply not an option unless I can ask my frineds if one of them wants to go to and ride down with them. Not likely, none of my friends in PA like to fish, but I will ask just the same.

Totally understand. We have various events throughout the course of the year. Just watch for them and attend any you can.

Posted on: 2013/7/26 7:35

From Mount Pocono, PA
Yes, I am aware, Fox. I have watched many people struggle to get it right. I'm a patient guy.

But, as my previous couple of posts indicate, it looks like I can't come now that I know how far it is. The only way I can is if I can convince one of my friends to come along and ride with them, but none of my friends in this state like to fish, so the chances are slim.

SBecker and Vulksnurse, thanks anyways for the kindness. If you want to still bring your spare equipment, there is still a small chance I can come, though it's not good at all.

Posted on: 2013/7/26 7:37

From Along the Lehigh Above the Gap
If you show up it will be there.

Posted on: 2013/7/26 8:40

http://bugflingerandfeatherlasher.blogspot.com/

From Mount Pocono, PA
Well, I am back on the roster. djs12354 has generously offered to meet me and allow me to ride down with him. So I will be here after all! Thanks for the help. I'm glad I was pointed to this forum when I was, a couple more days and I'd have missed it!

You guys seem like a tight-knit forum... I like that. The forum I was on when I was referred here is the same way, we do meet ups and barbecues all over the place. Looking forward to meeting some of you guys now, too.

Posted on: 2013/7/26 15:43

From Philadelphia
Quote:

snakeman21 wrote:
Well, I am back on the roster. djs12354 has generously offered to meet me and allow me to ride down with him. So I will be here after all! Thanks for the help. I'm glad I was pointed to this forum when I was, a couple more days and I'd have missed it!

You guys seem like a tight-knit forum... I like that. The forum I was on when I was referred here is the same way, we do meet ups and barbecues all over the place. Looking forward to meeting some of you guys now, too.

You will find out tomorrow. We really like each other despite how much abuse you see them give me. dsj is a pretty special guy and him doing this surprises me about as much as snow surprises me in the artic!

Posted on: 2013/7/26 17:43

From North East PA
Quote:

Foxgap239 wrote:
Quote:

snakeman21 wrote:

You will find out tomorrow. We really like each other despite how much abuse you see them give me. dsj is a pretty special guy and him doing this surprises me about as much as snow surprises me in the artic!

Fox, in your case it's more akin to "tolerate" than "like" ..... ;->

Posted on: 2013/7/26 18:51

"Hey, Wait, that rock is moving" - Pat D, Newbie Jam, 3/16/13

Just saw this while planning to hit LL sat morning on my own. Can't stay for lunch and festivities but will try to stop by and say hi.

Posted on: 2013/7/26 23:33

From Philadelphia
I had to pull out early due to my work trip tomorrow but I wanted to stay a big THANK YOU to everyone who attended and brought something to share. The generosity of this group with tangible things as well as their vast knowledge sharing is what makes this event special. I personally can't wait for the 3rd annual.

Thank you again to everyone, including those who dropped by to say hello or who might join PAFF because you saw what a special group we have.

Fox

Posted on: 2013/7/27 16:40

« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 7 8 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com