Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 ... 15 »

Re: 2014 PAFF Instructional Jamboree (Newbie Jam) Saturday 3/15/14

From Souderton PA
Quote:

afishinado wrote:
Quote:

Heritage-Angler wrote:

You've already got a handout made up, and did this station last year. You've got help, too (see below).

Afish - Always glad to have you involved. You're expertise with leaders, and especially your furled leaders would make that station rock solid. Could you print out some of those instructions for furling leaders and bring them to hand out? If the attendees see you make a leader, maybe it'll inspire them to give it a shot.

Can do, Ed. Looking forward to it.

That will be great. Afish, I focus almost exclusively on hand tied leaders and blood knots. If you cover furled and furling we can both pick up on misc knots, extruded leaders and what not. I'll probablly get to learn a few things too!
Mike.

Posted on: 1/19 10:07

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
Quote:
As a compliment to the commercial offering that UFMGuy has, would there be interest in tacking on some of the free apps and PC mapping applications and datasets available, which would definitely fall under the "Where to fish?" category?

Salmonoid. Yep!

Last year I did cover the "lists" from the PAFBC, as well as the GIS data available and how to get it on various mapping services, etc. UFMGuy was also there with his app. And I show off the USGS gauges too.

That said, I'm not the most technically savvy guy out there. And while the "tools" of the trade are important, I like to keep a fair amount of focus on strategy. What conditions should lead you to certain stream types, etc.

The more the merrier!

Posted on: 1/20 7:56

From Lebanon
Quote:

JackM wrote:
Ed, you are the man. Thanks for doing this again to make our community an example of "giving back" or "paying forward" or whatever is the correct phrase.

If it weren't so far, I would offer seminar #8:

"An Unorthodox Approach to Fly Fishing (How to cast poorly, read the water wrong, choose the wrong flies, flub the presentation and blow the lucky take and still have fun doing it.)"

Man, I am bummed. I was looking forward to your program.....

Posted on: 1/20 10:38

From Fountain Hill, Pa
I'll be there and try to bring a friend or two. Thanks Ed!

Posted on: 1/21 8:16

From SE Pa
This site has been a great beginner tool for me already without the newbie jam. After seeing the wealth of experience and more importantly the enthusiasm of those signing up to share their knowledge, I would be a fool not to attend. Who knows maybe I'm the next high sticking freak that I've been hearing about. I'll be looking forward to meeting and learning from everybody. The date is perfect as it falls in between two trips to Minnesota.

I would also like to contribute to the event. I am assuming that nobody really needs to learn how to knock their hat off while casting a wooley bugger so I will volunteer to clean up afterwards.

Any suggestions one what I should bring to get the maximum learning experience?

Posted on: 1/22 10:40

From Lehigh Valley
Quote:

poopdeck wrote:
Any suggestions one what I should bring to get the maximum learning experience?

I'd suggest a pencil/pen and small tablet, or some electronic recording device. A camera would be good, too.

Don't forget to bring your fishing gear and 2014 license for the afternoon on-stream session.

Be prepared to learn and laugh - this is an incredibly fun group.

Posted on: 1/22 11:19

From Lehigh Valley
Two new developments I'd like to share:

One of our members, CPR, has graciously volunteered to donate a new custom built rod to be given away at this event.

For those not aware of his work, you can check out his website:

http://www.rodtrader.net/

Details on how we're going to pick the winner have yet to be determined, but we'll figure something out. I have no details on what the rod will be, but maybe CPR can chime in.

Also, there will be an additional station on display - "How to Catch BIG Trout". This is being manned by a very competent "monster size trout" fisherman of many years experience, and the proof to back it up. Some of this proof will be on display, and tips, techniques, and methods will be discussed.

While you won't be given exact locations of where these huge fish can be found, he'll teach you the types of places and streams to look for them. With a little leg work, you too can have similar success. You'd be surprised how common it is to find big fish like this, and they can be found closer than you'd think.

Posted on: 1/22 11:43

From Along the Lehigh Above the Gap
Wow, those are some nice rods CPR! Kudos for the donation.

I am guessing the big fish thingy won't be put on by the brookie guys.

Posted on: 1/22 12:39

http://bugflingerandfeatherlasher.blogspot.com/

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
We'll rename that one "how to catch tiny trout". :)

Posted on: 1/22 13:15

From Along the Lehigh Above the Gap
Quote:

pcray1231 wrote:
We'll rename that one "how to catch racoon snacks". :)

Fixed

Posted on: 1/22 13:21

http://bugflingerandfeatherlasher.blogspot.com/

From Philadelphia
I can attest to the quality of CPR's rod building ability. I purchased two rods from him but have since sold one based on the fact that I no longer used it. But the other is by far my favorite small stream rod. He is and will be my rod builder of choice into the future.

Thanks for the donation!

Posted on: 1/22 14:30

From Hershey, PA
MY past donations have worked in one of the following two ways:

1) Straight door prize: Everyone gets a free ticket and the winning stub is pulled from a bucket.

2) Raffle: tickets are sold for $1 each and the money donated to a worthy cause or to help offset the costs of the event.

I'm OK with either. Anything that brings new fly anglers into the sport is awesome and an event like this certainly does that.

As far as the rod. I have the following builds in mind:

8' 4wt 4pc built on an MHX blank

7'6" 4wt 2pc built on a Batson Rainshadow blank

6'6" 2wt 4pc built on a Batson Forecast blank

Since Foxgap has given me such a glowing review he can choose which rod gets built.

Thanks
matt

Posted on: 1/22 22:24

From Lehigh Valley
Quote:

CPR wrote:
MY past donations have worked in one of the following two ways:

1) Straight door prize: Everyone gets a free ticket and the winning stub is pulled from a bucket.

2) Raffle: tickets are sold for $1 each and the money donated to a worthy cause or to help offset the costs of the event.

I'm OK with either.

Option 1 is not an option in this case. There is simply too much traffic in and out of the classroom building to keep track of who got a ticket, and who didn't.

Option 2 goes against the deal we have with the Wildlands Conservancy - the event must be totally cost free. This is to comply with their insurance, and also their policy for allowing usage of the building for free.

Given that 100% of the proceeds would be given to the Wildlands Conservancy, maybe they'll lighten up on this - I really have to discuss this with them to make sure it's OK to do.

Doing a raffle also requires someone to sell the tickets, and "sit on" the money collected - this takes instruction time away from the newbies. If one of the instructors is willing to take on this additional duty, it's fine by me.

The only stipulation I have regarding a raffle is that the winner MUST be present at the time of the drawing. I'm still sitting on raffle prizes from the Tying Jam that was in December, and I'm just NOT gonna hold on to anything, and then try to make arrangements to get it to the winner.

Ultimately, it all comes down to what the Wildlands Conservancy says we can do. I'll call them today or tomorrow to find out, and let you know.

Please don't think I'm being ungrateful with your generous offer, but we gotta play by the rules....

Posted on: 1/23 9:16

From Bucks County, PA
Hey Ed, I can make it and would like to help with something. Not sure't my qualifications go past something along the lines of what JackM suggested he could contribute but I'd like to do something. After the seminar I could help out on the stream. If CPR isn't attending or doesn't want to I could help run whatever type of raffle you decide.

Posted on: 1/23 12:38

From Hershey, PA
maybe something like this:

Set up a table in the lobby area. I could sit there with the rod, a roll of raffle tickets and a bucket. Drop a dollar in the bucket and you get a ticket. Drop 20 dollars in the bucket you get 20 tickets. At some point in the day we chose a winning ticket stub. The winner gets the rod, the Wildlands Conservancy gets the money as a donation.

matt

Posted on: 1/23 13:18

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 ... 15 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com