Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 ... 15 »

Re: 2014 PAFF Instructional Jamboree (Newbie Jam) Saturday 3/15/14

From Lehigh Valley
Someone actually tried to count the number of attendees two years ago.

Best estimate was closer to 100.

It's tough to get a head count, as people are walking in and out all morning, and some pop in to see what's going on without staying too long.

I'd estimate anywhere between 50 and 100. This event will be listed on the Wildland's event calendar(s), and also the outdoor section of the Morning Call (Lehigh Valley newspaper).

One of the reasons I picked this date was to avoid conflict with the local TU's big Spring event, and also the regional trout opening day.

Who knows - we might get a pretty big crowd......

Posted on: 1/16 19:27

From Lehigh Valley
One of the most common questions we see here from beginners is "Where can I fish?"

We'll be covering this question pretty well at pcray's station.

One of our site sponsors (see "GPS Fishing Guide to PA" in the right hand column) will be in attendance, and have his products on display, and available to purchase. UFMGuy himself will have a table set up, and will be showing one of the best resources for answering the question of where to fish.

I personally use his products, and they're amazing! Very inexpensive, and they pay for themselves virtually on the first trip.

These products are a perfect fit for this event, and knowing how much they can do for you makes it easy for me to plug them.

Check 'em out, and bring any questions along for UFMGuy to answer. His maps and software are powerful tools to have in your arsenal. Pcray will be referring to these products as part of his program as well.

Posted on: 1/16 19:56

From Delaware River
Will check the dates. Perhaps I could bring the club down.

Posted on: 1/18 0:01

From danboro pa
hello heritage I am new to the site and really look forward to the newbie jam.I have been fly fishing for years,so I thought.I am lucky to have a friend that is a avid fly fisherman,and has been teaching me the art,tying,casting,mending,ect.I do feel I am learning from best of the best.I can't wait to meet ,and learn from everyone at the newbie jam.

Posted on: 1/18 9:02

From North East PA
Mic. Welcome to the jungle.....

Posted on: 1/18 10:30

"Hey, Wait, that rock is moving" - Pat D, Newbie Jam, 3/16/13

From Lehigh Valley
Welcome to paflyfish, mic.

I'm glad to see you have a mentor to help you along in your flyfishing journey.

Introduce yourself to us at the Newbie Jam, and we'll try our best to fill in any knowledge gaps you may have. I look forward to meeting you!

I was fortunate to have some excellent mentors in flyfishing over the years, and the inspiration to create the Newbie Jam came from one of the best mentors I had. Foxgap239 had the same mentor, but we didn't even know each other until we met here on PAFF. We've become great friends and fishing buddies since we've met, and our mentor takes great delight in this.

That same mentor also introduced me to Old Lefty many years ago. Old Lefty has since become a dear friend, and I rely on his friendship, help, and solid advise to this day.

Many of my closest friends have been met here on PAFF, and you'll get to meet some of them at the Newbie Jam. Literally hundreds of years of flyfishing experience will be available to you at this event.

Enjoy!

Posted on: 1/18 12:18

From LV
Hey I'll help, will there be electric available?

Posted on: 1/18 12:51

From Lehigh Valley
Quote:

Chaz wrote:
Hey I'll help, will there be electric available?

VERY cool! Got a topic in mind?

We'll have room for you no matter what you want to instruct on, and there will be electric available.

For those that have never met Chaz in person, you're in for a treat! The amount of knowledge he brings to the table is simply staggering.

This is really getting good.....

Posted on: 1/18 13:59

From Lancaster County
As a compliment to the commercial offering that UFMGuy has, would there be interest in tacking on some of the free apps and PC mapping applications and datasets available, which would definitely fall under the "Where to fish?" category? I could review GIS at a high level and demo apps like OruxMaps (Android) and Galileo (iOS).

Posted on: 1/18 18:03

From Souderton PA
Ed, Pat, George,
If you still need a leader/knot instructor I would be glad to do that again. Otherwise I could help out with fly tying or floor sweeping or where ever you can use me.
Mike.

Posted on: 1/18 21:11

From Chester County
Hey Ed, Pat, George,

Just received my meeting schedule and class schedule and it looks like I can be available for the Jam on 3/15.

I can do the knot / leader / rigging stuff, freeing up Frequent Tyer to tie up some of his great patterns.

Or I can fill in anywhere you guys need help.

Posted on: 1/19 6:59

From Lehigh Valley
Wow - Some serious veteran help added to the mix!

OK, I'll try to add folks in....

Dog - Could you help djs with the gear setup station? You've got some really innovative ideas, and you'd be a perfect fit for this station. If CathyG can make it, we'll move you to the tying station with JT. The girls would love that!

salmonoid - pcray could use a hand at his station. It's always best to have at least two people at each station. Could you contact pcray and work out a gameplan for that station? Putting you two together is gonna be REALLY bad news for the fish.

FT - Like I'd make you sweep floors.
You've already got a handout made up, and did this station last year. You've got help, too (see below).

Afish - Always glad to have you involved. You're expertise with leaders, and especially your furled leaders would make that station rock solid. Could you print out some of those instructions for furling leaders and bring them to hand out? If the attendees see you make a leader, maybe it'll inspire them to give it a shot.

Posted on: 1/19 7:32

From Chester County
Quote:

Heritage-Angler wrote:
Wow - Some serious veteran help added to the mix!

OK, I'll try to add folks in....

Dog - Could you help djs with the gear setup station? You've got some really innovative ideas, and you'd be a perfect fit for this station. If CathyG can make it, we'll move you to the tying station with JT. The girls would love that!

salmonoid - pcray could use a hand at his station. It's always best to have at least two people at each station. Could you contact pcray and work out a gameplan for that station? Putting you two together is gonna be REALLY bad news for the fish.

FT - Like I'd make you sweep floors.
You've already got a handout made up, and did this station last year. You've got help, too (see below).

Afish - Always glad to have you involved. You're expertise with leaders, and especially your furled leaders would make that station rock solid. Could you print out some of those instructions for furling leaders and bring them to hand out? If the attendees see you make a leader, maybe it'll inspire them to give it a shot.

Can do, Ed. Looking forward to it.

Posted on: 1/19 7:45

From Wayne County
Ed,

I really want to be there.

I start CDL school tomorrow and should finish 2/25 assuming I find a part time job to pay some bills so I don't have to quit school before finishing(I have zero income right now and I'm living on a little bit of savings). If I'm not working on 3/15 I will be there and would love to help.

Cathy

Posted on: 1/19 8:42

From Pipersville Pa.
H-A pm sent

GenCon

Posted on: 1/19 8:55

Ian Anderson, Thick as a brick.

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 ... 15 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes
No
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/8/22 12:38
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com