Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 ... 12 13 14 (15) 16 »

Re: 2013 PAFF Instructional Jamboree (aka Newbie Jam) - March 16th

From Etters,Pa
I wanna start off with a very special thanks to Heritage-Angler(AKA Ed/AKA Birthday Boy) Without him these events would never be possible. Another thanks for the instructors who gave up their time to help out.. It was awesome seeing so many new faces this year and some of the same faces from last year who checked in again this year. There were a few people that were deeply missed this year(Stagger,McFinn,CathyG). We really do have a great bunch of guys on here and having Da Fox join us today was icing on the cake. I'm looking forward to the brush up days ahead. Anyone who wasn't able to hit the stream today or needs more help. Stay tuned. The brush up days are ALWAYS a blast.

Posted on: 2013/3/16 20:44

From Doylestown, Pa
I think I can honestly say that was the best fishing experience I've had. Thanks to all so eager to share their knowledge, Im sure I gained a year of experience in one day. Also I caught more trout today then in all my days fishing combined. 4 browns and 2 rainbow all on the egg pattern Kindly donated by SBecker ( I believe. Im horrible with names and information overload today.) Its very encouraging to meet people with a great attitude. I didn't know what to expect knowing the kind of elitists that are associated with this sport sometimes. Thanks to all involved. Really looking forward to learning, fishing, and hanging out with you guys in the future.

Posted on: 2013/3/16 22:32

From Bucks County, PA
Hey y'all! That was great! It was awesome meeting some of you and talking shop! I learned a lot and really enjoyed it! Can't wait to hang out with some of you and go fishing! Thanks to all of you who offered your time and expertise for us newbies. Awesome time and good people!

Posted on: 2013/3/16 23:19

From Bucks County, PA
Word! I agree! Thanks for encouraging me to go Fletch!

Posted on: 2013/3/16 23:21

Yeah good seeing evryone and thanks for the nice job of organizing things... fun time discussing stuff, and great flies by delta dog,.. I liked the lunch and maybe I should have fished the little Lehigh instead of running up to some really cold little brookie stream!

Posted on: 2013/3/17 5:46

From Bucks County
Many thanks to all involved for a great day. I learned a lot yesterday; everyone was very willing to share info.....casting coaching; tackle talk (ie: The Twanger, the blood knot, furled leaders, napalm etc, etc, etc); one on one on-stream instruction (by the way D Dog, that fish was still rising at the white rock when I left....my one taker was on the downstream edge of that blow-down....but I missed him). Just a great group of people to meet and spend the day with; talking about our mutual obsession. Again, thank you very much!

Posted on: 2013/3/17 6:59

From Lansdale
Thanks for the efforts of ALL of the instructors, especially ED, although I hate to single anyone out. You guys are truly ambassadors of the sport. I was very ecouraged on my casting after a few minutes with Ed. I just need to get out with you guys this spring before I become one-winged for a few months.

Posted on: 2013/3/17 8:04

From Secane
Once again Ed (AKA Heritage Angler), FoxGap and everyone that put the day together did a incredible job!! I'm thankful to have been able to help with these events when ever possible. DeltaDog, you are the man!! I could watch you tie dries all day long. You make it look so simple and easy. Thanks for the tips you gave me and that special fly!!! I'll be sure to get a bunch of those ready for May. Lunch was great too with all the great guys and young ladies. Although I wussed out on jumping into the water, it was a great thing to see all that did brave the weather and congrats to all that were able to catch some of those beautiful fish in the stream.
The knowledge that comes from everyone on this site is truly priceless!!!! Thank You!!

Posted on: 2013/3/17 10:45

From Etters,Pa
Rich if you have any more questions give me a call anytime. If you need more help come May we can work on it when you come up to camp.

Posted on: 2013/3/17 14:15

From Lewisberry, PA
Thanks again to everyone for yesterday. I learned a whole lot and had a blast meeting everyone. Thanks Pat for the fly and the great pointers, helping me catch my only fish yesterday. Delta, that knot for the droppers may have been the highlight of the day for me.

Posted on: 2013/3/17 16:20

From Bucks County
Thanks guys, had a nice day. Good to see you all again.

Posted on: 2013/3/17 22:06

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
Had a great day. These events are what makes this forum great. Glad all the newbies found it worthwhile.

Only fished for a short time in the afternoon. Lots of bugs, sporadic rises where I was. Lots of fish rising overall, but not in that "steady" sort of way, each fish was in that sporadic, lazy sort of mode. A single fish would rise probably only every 5-10 minutes.

I got dressed and no newbies were nearby and ready to fish, so I hit the stream to scout it out a little, as I'm supposed to be the expert but am totally new to the LL. Nymphed for a few minutes with an egg imitation, figuring freshly stocked bows. No dice. Saw the rises and switched to a dry fly leader and started throwin dries. Just about that time is when Gone Phishin found me. I was here to teach, so I tried to get him in the water. But he wanted to watch me first, so I fished a little as he watched from the bank. Stung a couple, then landed a stockie rainbow. At that point I stopped fishing and coaxed him into the water, and tried to take on the role of teacher the best I could. He did well and not long after, hooked up and landed a wild brown. Then B.S.'d a while with a small crew that had gathered, called it a day and made it home for dinner.

Good job Gone Phishin!!!

Posted on: 2013/3/18 12:08

From NEPA
I had a great time at the Newbie Jam! I can honestly say I learned more in one day by hang out and talking with everyone then I have in the last year of attempting to learn this sport on my own. A huge thank you to all the "seasoned" instructors that took time to educate us newbies. Thanks Phish_On and Gone Phishin for letting me tag along and absorb your knowledge. Hope to fish with you all again soon.

Posted on: 2013/3/18 12:58

From Fountain Hill, Pa
This would have been perfect for me! I just found this site today since I got my first fly rod and want to take up fly fishing this year. I live In Bethlehem. Are there any other events similar to this planned? I'm sure its a lot of work to put together and there probably won't be one for a while. I need all the help I can get though. I don't really know anyone that fly fishes to get help from. I got some dvd's to go off of for now. Seems like it was a great experience wish I would have got on here earlier!

Posted on: 2013/3/18 17:05

From Philadelphia
Quote:

jhedge wrote:
This would have been perfect for me! I just found this site today since I got my first fly rod and want to take up fly fishing this year. I live In Bethlehem. Are there any other events similar to this planned? I'm sure its a lot of work to put together and there probably won't be one for a while. I need all the help I can get though. I don't really know anyone that fly fishes to get help from. I got some dvd's to go off of for now. Seems like it was a great experience wish I would have got on here earlier!

We will have a "Brush-up" event in April or May on the Little Lehigh and our "Newbie Fish and Chips" in July or August on the LL, as well. The fish and chips is a pot luck picnic event where we teach, fish and eat. Both events will be published here but guys get to the LL quite a bit and you might get to meet up with any of them. They will help you any time, not just at Newbie events.

Posted on: 2013/3/18 17:49

« 1 ... 12 13 14 (15) 16 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com