2013 JAM stories

ryguyfi

ryguyfi

Had a ball, fishing was nothing short of fantastic. One of my favorite parts was just hanging out around the pavillion chatting it up till late at night. Watching Jack and another guy try to set up a tent at 1am Friday night while having just a few choice beverages before hand was one of the most amusing things to watch. 20 minutes after they started to set it up, it was still flat.

There were a few bugs on Spring...

DSCF2161_zps8e7f72df.jpg

Caught a few fish but the fishing was too good to take many pictures.

DSCF2163_zps57c4d571.jpg

Also did a bit of brookie fishing on Friday when we arrived.

DSCF2152_zpsec70d960.jpg

51 weeks till the next JAM!

We didn't see that "blizzard" sulphur hatch on Spring Saturday night, but did have rising fish to sulphurs. We were just below Fisherman's Paradise FWIW. Bikerfish slayed them on a sulphur spinner.

The Blizzard happened on Friday night, but there were still plenty of bugs on Saturday. Got dumbfounded on the spinnerfall the first night but Albatross turned me onto a new pattern that I tied a few up and did well on the spinnerfall the next night.

I had NEVER seen that many spinners in a cloud before. It was huge, and at every set of riffles. Just stood in it in awe.

I enjoyed my tour of central PA with GulfGreyhound and his buddy Jim. We hit Fishing, Spring, and Penns on Friday and we all caught some trout.

CSoult slayed the big browns on Penns Thursday evening with march brown spinners.

16JS2Ad

albatross wrote:
I enjoyed my tour of central PA with GulfGreyhound and his buddy Jim. We hit Fishing, Spring, and Penns on Friday and we all caught some trout.

CSoult slayed the big browns on Penns Thursday evening with march brown spinners.

16JS2Ad
Greg, I think what we hit on Saturday night may have been even better. I had an unbelievable weekend.

too many favorites to mention, from the fantastic hatches and fishing AND catching, exploring new streams, the comradery of fellow members, hanging out having beers at night, coffee in the morning, casting different rods, listening to great music, meeting old friends and new, I mean, the list just goes on.
AND it all takes place in one of the most beautiful spots in PA, I love the ridge and valley region, the friendly people, the scenic farms, dense forests, tumbling brooks and of course those wonderful limestone streams, really makes me want to pack up NOW and move out there. That will have to wait a couple more years, but I WILL live somewhere in that region, everything I love to do is some of the best in the world right in that area, and I can't wait to do it from my doorstep someday.
thanks to everyone that made it one hell of a weekend, can't wait till the next one!
oh yeah, I won the freaking trip to harmons!!!!!!!!! HA!

I'm pcraying the jam. :)

Wednesday - Arrived to 7 Mountains CG mid-afternoon. Took a little while to get unpacked, get the tent up, get organized, etc. Then we tried to go to Poe Paddy, only to find out virtually every road there was closed! Can't get there from here. Frustrating start as we were itching to get started. We eventually did get there around 7, and went THROUGH the tunnel as someone had opened it up. Good fishing starting around 8. Scott caught a few bigger ones. I had better numbers but worse size as I got squeezed into a riffle full of 8 inchers. I did get a couple of "good" ones. Met Pontus upon our return to the campground, sat around a fire and drank and got to know Pontus a little.

Thursday - Wanted to get Pontus some brookies. But we got a late start, so we amended our plans for adventure to hit a more local and popular brookie stream. To our dismay, there was a red truck with a Back the Brookie front license plate which beat us there. AHEM! So we hit another nearby stream. We all got a few but nobody was in double digits or anything, the numbers weren't great, but most of the fish caught were solid 7 or 8" types. Went back to Penns for the evening. Was much the same as Wednesday, cept the tunnel had been closed so we went over the top. Scott's and my numbers were similar, except all mine were good fish and Scott lost a monster. Unfortunately, Pontus took the skunk on Penns. He got some brookies and a brown from the small stream, but we perhaps shoulda helped him more as water the size of Penns was outside of anything he was familiar with. Joined a group fire on our return and the evening fun was winding up.

Friday - Due to previous night's festivities, we weren't up real early. With needing to visit a fly shop, and reports of early success on Spring, we skipped the brookie thing, ate a good lunch and took our good old time getting out. Then went straight to Spring mid-afternoon. Saw Delta Dog and Heritage Ed and their whole crew upon arrival. Hiked a ways. And absolutely slayed em all evening long, from duns through the spinner fall. Pontus got 18, I got 20, I'm not sure how many Scott had but it was more than just respectable too. Not a whole lot of size, though. Back at camp, this was our wildest night, and I probably over-indulged.

Saturday - Took half a day to recover, socialized around the CG. Went back to Spring for the evening, this time below Paradise. Far fewer bugs than above, but there were some. Not many risers, easily our worst day fishing. I still managed 5, Scott 3 I think. Pontus got a couple including a dinosaur looking specimen, I'm guestimating 17 or 18", which would make anyone's day but put a smile on him almost as long as the fish itself. Back to camp to take in the evening festivities, and the food was phenomenal.

Great, great trip.

Pics HERE

Pontus's big fish and grin, gotta work on the pose....

Attachments

• Pontus.jpg
    Pontus.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 5
Hmmm, red truck with brookie plate? nope, don't know what your talking about! ;-)

ist2_267869-ntsc-tv-test-pattern1.jpg

Unfortunately I get that Gary.

The Three Stooges Pitch A Tent. Maurice played Mo and slapped us together. Thanks for that. Nice time, recollection saved for later telling. Tired now. Nice to meet old and new friends.

I caught fish, on top, so there's that.

I expected Jack's recap to read:

Arrived Friday, departed Sunday. Photos indicate that also I pitched a tent and fished over the weekend. The End.

Left Monday. The rest is correct.

Great People, Great Food, Great Hatches, Great Fishing, Great Weather. Best weekend I had in a while.

I stopped on the way to the Jam on Friday at one of my favorite brookie streams that I didn't get a chance to fish this year. Had about a 40 minute, kick butt, fish catching good time. Only took the time to fish the absolute best holes. Kinda primed the pump for the weekend. Fished Friday evening with John (JF) at the Little J and and we had a good evening fishing the sulphur hatch. I caught my best fish of the weekend on the Little J that evening. Thanks John. I spent the majority of the weekend fishing the Little J, Penns and Spring with Jack (lv2nymph) and Brian (mario66pens). Jack is a good nymph fisherman and I learned a lot from him, when he says " I think I would add another split shot or move your indicator up about 7 inches" he is not kidding. The devil is definitely in the details when it comes to nymphing. Jack totally set me up for a nice brownie on Spring Creek on Sunday. Brian is a good kid and a darn good flyfisherman IMO (even though he is a Penguins fan .... (just kidding, Brian I couldn't pass up the opportunity, lol). Thanks to both Jack and Brian for a great couple days of fishing. I had the chance to catch a decent wild brown on the Little J, Penns and Spring Creek this weekend and I learned an awful lot while doing it with some great fishing buddies. The brown on Penns was my first trout ever caught on Penns Creek and I got him Saturday evening during a March Brown spinnerfall on top. Pretty cool! I attached a few pictures from the weekend.

(1) Brookie from one of my favorite brookie streams

(2)Little Juniata brownie taken during sulphur hatch on Friday

(3)Little Juniata sulphur dun in the process of emerging from its nymphal shuck

Attachments

• PAFF Jam (1).jpg
    PAFF Jam (1).jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 6
  • PAFF Jam (2).jpg
    PAFF Jam (2).jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 5
  • PAFF Jam (3).jpg
    PAFF Jam (3).jpg